Can a skateboarder ride faster by holding a water bottle?

• B
  • Thread starter Devin-M
  • Start date
In summary: It would take more torque from the wheel to counteract the torque of the leaning pendulum if the pendulum began telescoping so it was longer (weight concentrated at the... end)?Yes, it would take more torque from the wheel to counteract the torque of the leaning pendulum if the pendulum began telescoping so it was longer (weight concentrated at the... end).
I recorded a short video. It's about 3:45. Started out on a bridge then descend ramp leading toward bridge. Then I turn around and climb the ramp water bottle lowered. Then I turn around, go down the ramp, then climb the ramp again, this time water bottle raised. I was able to do the climb with water bottle raised in 2 seconds less time. Uncut video.

1st climb (water bottle lowered)- 1:22 - 1:41 - 19s
2nd climb (water bottle raised)- 3:12 - 3:29 - 17s

• Sad
Likes Dale and weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
Devin-M said:
I recorded a short video. It's about 3:45. Started out on a bridge then descend ramp leading toward bridge. Then I turn around and climb the ramp water bottle lowered. Then I turn around, go down the ramp, then climb the ramp again, this time water bottle raised. I was able to do the climb with water bottle raised in 2 seconds less time. Uncut video.

1st climb (water bottle lowered)- 1:22 - 1:41 - 19s
2nd climb (water bottle raised)- 3:12 - 3:29 - 17s

There is absolutely no way to verify that you removed confounding factors - particularly whether you used the same effort on both runs and had your body positioned the same way for both runs.

If you really want to prove your point, you'll want to make a mockup - i.e. fully automated, removing yourself form the equation - where you can demonstrate that all variables are ... consistentified.

And even if you do, it still doesn't make the point - because what we're trying to tell you is that you do alter your position to compensate.

Devin-M said:
I was able to do the climb with water bottle raised in 2 seconds less time.
See posts #2 and #104 for possible physical effects of the bottle that might improve performance.

See also many studies on how psychology influences sport performance.

Devin-M said:
Then I turn around, go down the ramp, then climb the ramp again, this time water bottle raised. I was able to do the climb with water bottle raised in 2 seconds less time.
So try harder on the 1st attempt and you'll do it faster. And then try even harder on the 2nd attempt and you'll do that one even faster. If you want to actually support this hypothesis you would need to get dozens of skateboarders and perform hundreds of runs where each person is giving it their all. Ideally in a 'lab' setting where you can control what skateboard they are using, the condition of the ground, remove wind and weather factors, etc.

Drakkith said:
Ideally in a 'lab' setting where you can control what skateboard they are using, the condition of the ground, remove wind and weather factors, etc.
Or make a mechanical prototype and control the variables.

Likes russ_watters
I will say on the 1st attempt without bottle extended I had to put my rear foot back on the board twice to adjust my tilt angle forward or else I would have toppled backwards. Essentially I am wondering if the skateboarder is already operating at the edge of performance without falling, does the added stability caused by changing the moment of inertia and moving center of gravity forward allow slightly more performance… like a building in an earthquake that has an active mass damper as opposed to one that doesn’t.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes Motore
Drakkith said:
So try harder on the 1st attempt and you'll do it faster.
Absolutely. The human body is a really bad subject fort Physics calculations because there are just too many unknown variables - including psychology. You could possibly go faster when wearing your favourite T shirt even.
Devin-M said:
Essentially I am wondering if the skateboarder is already operating at the edge of performance without falling, does the added stability caused by changing the moment of inertia and moving center of gravity forward allow slightly more performance…
There are many unknown variables in that statement, which just makes my point. About the only thing that you can be sure of is that you can't affect the velocity or position of the Centre of Mass without applying an external force. For that you need a slope, have sticky wheel bearings or do clever clogs zig-zagging. Really hard to analyse all that.

Waving the water bottle about can change your MI and, perhaps allow you to corner differently for more thrust

Assuming this model is accurate, the center of mass is shown as being above where the leg joins with the hip bone. In zero G if we push the body forward from the point where the leg joins with the hip, it induces a backwards tipping torque around the COM (same is the case if friction is removed from the foot in 1 g). Back in 1 G, a bottle outstretched forward in an arm combined with the normal force on the ground induces a forward tipping torque counteracting the backward tipping torque from the push.

IMG_7813.jpeg

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-37581-9/figures/1

Devin-M said:
a bottle outstretched forward in an arm combined with the normal force on the ground induces .
How large is the contribution of the bottle compared to what the normal force on the back foot can do, which can be almost all your weight?

A.T. said:
How large is the contribution of the bottle compared to what the normal force on the back foot can do, which can be almost all your weight?
I think it depends on the weight of the bottle, and so the larger the weight of the bottle, the greater the forward tipping torque.

Devin-M said:
I think it depends on the weight of the bottle
How much % of your bodyweight can you hold in a horizontally stretched out arm for longer than a few seconds?

Likes russ_watters
Devin-M said:
In zero G if we push the body forward from the point where the leg joins with the hip, it induces a backwards tipping torque around the COM (same is the case if friction is removed from the foot in 1 g).
...so?

Devin-M said:
Back in 1 G, a bottle outstretched forward in an arm combined with the normal force on the ground induces a forward tipping torque counteracting the backward tipping torque from the push.
Again, so? We've already gone over this.

Drakkith said:
...so?

Drakkith said:
Again, so? We've already gone over this.
So the heavier the outstretched bottle, the harder you can push the body forward from the area where the leg joins the hip without her/him tipping over on a skateboard.

Devin-M said:
So the heavier the outstretched bottle, the harder you can push the body forward from the area where the leg joins the hip without her/him tipping over on a skateboard.
You have it backwards. A person doesn't balance on a skateboard at the center of mass, they do so on their feet. Pushing forward with the rear leg will tend to tilt the person forward. To counteract this you use your foot and toes to hold your body upright. Holding a weight forwards just makes this problem worse.

Drakkith said:
Pushing forward with the rear leg will tend to tilt the person forward.
That’s only if the other foot has friction (standing). On a skateboard the wheels are free to roll forward under the front foot, so pushing the body forward below center of mass causes backwards tilting torque.

Leg sweep leads to backwards tilting torque:

IMG_7819.jpeg

Devin-M said:
...pushing the body forward below center of mass causes backwards tilting torque.
Which is why your knees are bent and you're in a slight crouch whenever you're riding a board. Because skateboarding is nothing if not moving your body in relation to the CoM.

You don't need a 355g weight; you have a 70,000g weight.

Devin-M said:
That’s only if the other foot has friction (standing). On a skateboard the wheels are free to roll forward under the front foot, so pushing the body forward below center of mass causes backwards tilting torque.
I'll meet you halfway with a 'maybe'. There is some friction on the wheels (especially on rough cement/concrete) that may or may not be significant.

Devin-M said:
But again, unlike the leg sweep the force is not directly forward, it's forward and up.

I think at this point we're just going in circles, so I think it is best to end it.

Likes Bystander and jbriggs444