Can a simple fan create a vortex without a screen obstruction?

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways of creating a vortex, such as using a rotating screen, a squirrel cage fan, or a flat object perpendicular to the air flow. There is also a mention of using a fan with a volatile liquid to create a "fire devil" effect. Some participants raise concerns about the effectiveness of these methods and suggest experimenting with different materials and designs. The conversation also touches on the concept of shear between layers of rotating air and the aesthetic qualities of a free-standing vortex.
wil3
Hello. I am working on a project that requires me to make air move in a vortex. From research, it appears that one of the most common ways of doing this is to rotate a cylindrical screen, which imparts curl to the airflow and thus creates a vortex coaxial and concentric to the center of the cylinder.

I would like to make a vortex without a screen obstructing my view of it. Do simple electrical fans, like computer fans, actually cause air to "swirl" effectively? I know that this seems like a basic question, but it is surprisingly difficult to find a good answer online anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would mount a large squirrel cage fan above the floor, with the top end of the cage blocked, so that it drew air from below into the region inside the cage. Add a partition at the bottom to separate the intake air from below from the output air above. This may not by itself impart sufficient rotation in the incoming air below. To increase this rotation, add stationary adjustable vanes at the intake area below the cage fan, directing air into the same rotation as the fan. Moving it closer to the floor also reduces the air the rotational equipartition is distributed to, increasing the rotational effect.

Never tries it, but that's what I would try.

I can't see why a glass (or acrylic) cylinder wouldn't work.

The reason why the screen is used is because the experimenter actually rotates the mesh on a lazy susan or something. The spinning screen forces the air that the flame sucks into adopt a vortex shape. A plastic or glass cylinder would not allow sufficient air intake, and it would not impart any rotation to the motion of the air molecules.

If you want a vortex, and a small size is OK, put a flat object oriented nearly perpendicular to the air flow. An alternative is to place a small wing into the air flow, so that the tips create a vortex. You'll need a fairly strong source for the air flow, perhaps a leaf blower. I'm not sure what you should use to inject smoke or vaport into the air flow so you can observe it though.

rcgldr said:
If you want a vortex, and a small size is OK, put a flat object oriented nearly perpendicular to the air flow. An alternative is to place a small wing into the air flow, so that the tips create a vortex. You'll need a fairly strong source for the air flow, perhaps a leaf blower. I'm not sure what you should use to inject smoke or vaport into the air flow so you can observe it though.

Wouldn't work - same reason my idea of a glass cylinder is wrong.
The air has to enter tangentially and (presumably) exit axially - is that right?

AJ Bentley said:
Wouldn't work - same reason my idea of a glass cylinder is wrong.
The air has to enter tangentially and (presumably) exit axially - is that right?

As a mass of air, rotating as a solid, is not the goal, there need be a mechanism to generate shear between the inside and outside layers of air. A smooth, tube of rotating glass would do it, but not as well as a rough surface, provided there is a means to impart different angular velocity to the central core of air.

Phrak said:
there need be a mechanism to generate shear between the inside and outside layers of air.

Hmmm... There seems to be more than one concept of what constitutes a vortex.
I'm thinking of something like a tornado, where there is no separation of incoming air from the rotating column but rather a gradual increase in angular momentum as the layers 'drag' on each other. - I can imagine an open screen would help to induce such a state.

OTOH a rotating cylinder would give you spinning air with a radial change of density but little else...

I'll be honest- I'm trying to make a small fire devil. I just didn't want the mods to go crazy. Do we know if a fan has the capability of making a tornado-like vortex?

My idea was to use a fan oriented straight up with a steady fuel source feeding a volatile liquid from underneath. The fan would help atomize the liquid and, if the above assumption is correct, guide the burning liquid into a vortex.

Skip to the end to see the screen effect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkCNP83Dtbw&feature=related

wil3 said:
I'll be honest- I'm trying to make a small fire devil. I just didn't want the mods to go crazy. Do we know if a fan has the capability of making a tornado-like vortex?

My idea was to use a fan oriented straight up with a steady fuel source feeding a volatile liquid from underneath. The fan would help atomize the liquid and, if the above assumption is correct, guide the burning liquid into a vortex.

Skip to the end to see the screen effect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkCNP83Dtbw&feature=related

I like the idea. It could be even better, esthetically, if the vortex were free standing instead of confined to a cylinder. However I don't know if you have other purposes in making one.

You might start out simple, to get oriented, and use propane or natural gas instead of a liquid fuel. If you had a metal pipe directed properly into a hole in the bottom side of a steel soup can, you might get some ideas.

Related to Can a simple fan create a vortex without a screen obstruction?

1. How can I make air form a vortex?

To make air form a vortex, you can use a variety of methods such as using a straw to blow air into water or using a fan to create a circular motion. You can also create a vortex by swirling a container of water or using a tornado tube to connect two bottles filled with water.

2. What is the purpose of making air form a vortex?

The purpose of making air form a vortex is to demonstrate and observe the principles of fluid dynamics, specifically the formation of a vortex and its characteristics. It can also be used to illustrate the concept of conservation of angular momentum.

3. Can I make a vortex in a vacuum?

No, a vortex cannot be created in a vacuum as there is no air or fluid present to create the circular motion. Vortices require some sort of medium, such as air or water, to exist.

4. How do vortices form in nature?

Vortices can form in nature through various phenomena such as tornadoes, hurricanes, and whirlpools. They can also be created by wind patterns, ocean currents, and even the movement of air around airplanes.

5. Are there any practical applications for vortices?

Yes, vortices have many practical applications in industries such as aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, and even in weather forecasting. They are also used in various technologies such as turbines, pumps, and mixers.