Can a propeller driven aircraft break the sound barrier?

In summary, the conversation is about whether a propeller-driven aircraft can break the sound barrier. Some opinions suggest that a standard propeller aircraft would not have enough power or aerodynamics to achieve this, but it is possible with a specifically designed propeller. Others mention a previous attempt by an aircraft company to create a propeller-driven plane that operated at supersonic speeds, but it was eventually scrapped due to negative effects from shockwaves. Ultimately, it is believed that a jet or turbojet would have more success breaking the sound barrier than a propeller-driven aircraft.
Awsom Guy
Hope this is the right place for this question, but it is very inetresting to me so I wanted to ask some experts.

My answer, no.
Any opinions will help
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Some aircraft company made a propeller driven plane where the propeller blades operated at super-sonic speed. Although the pilot was shielded from the shock waves, any personel in the general area were adversely affected by the constant bombardment of shockwaves, so they scrapped the program.

Im not sure how a propeller would be different than a jet. They each function by pushing air behind them.

I'm sure they can...at least in a dive. There's even some crazy guy that wants to break the sound barrier! (as in, by himself, with no machines)

As for using a propeller to propel an airplane through the sound barrier...I don't think so. But I don't know why :P

rcgldr said:
Some aircraft company made a propeller driven plane where the propeller blades operated at super-sonic speed. Although the pilot was shielded from the shock waves, any personel in the general area were adversely affected by the constant bombardment of shockwaves, so they scrapped the program.
Link to wiki article, note the aircraft itself was not super-sonic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XF-84H_Thunderscreech

A standad propeller aircraft won't be albe to power itsself past the spund barrier. A prop blade is like an aerofoil, so when the flow begins to transition from subsonic to supersonic the flow separates and you lose thrust. This is less of a problem for a turbofan, and no problem at all for a turbojet (infact they like going above the speed of sound).

I'm sure that a specifically designed propeller would be able to achieve this though. There are a few guys on here that know about planes, so they'd be better suites to answer this.

In my belief I don't think a proppeled plane is aero-dynamic enough and it wouldn't have enough power to make the sound barrier. Many jet planes have made this but a proppelar plane I don't think so.

(Sorry about the bad spelling) hehe

Related to Can a propeller driven aircraft break the sound barrier?

What is the sound barrier?

The sound barrier refers to the speed of sound, which is approximately 761 miles per hour at sea level. It is the point at which an object traveling through the air reaches the speed of sound and experiences a sudden increase in drag and shock waves.

Technically, yes, a propeller driven aircraft can break the sound barrier. However, it is extremely difficult and requires a specialized design and engine power. Only a few propeller driven aircraft, such as the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 and the P-51 Mustang, have been able to reach supersonic speeds.

What challenges does a propeller driven aircraft face when attempting to break the sound barrier?

The main challenge for a propeller driven aircraft in breaking the sound barrier is the increase in drag and shock waves. As the aircraft approaches the speed of sound, the propeller tips can reach supersonic speeds, causing shock waves and decreasing efficiency. The aircraft also experiences a sudden increase in drag, making it difficult to maintain speed.

How do engineers design a propeller driven aircraft to break the sound barrier?

Engineers use advanced aerodynamic designs and materials to reduce drag and increase efficiency. They also use high-performance engines with enough power to overcome the increased drag and maintain supersonic speeds. The propeller blades are also carefully designed and shaped to minimize shock waves and maintain stability.

What are the potential dangers of breaking the sound barrier in a propeller driven aircraft?

The main danger of breaking the sound barrier in a propeller driven aircraft is the potential for structural damage. The sudden increase in drag and shock waves can put extreme stress on the aircraft, potentially causing it to break apart. It also requires a high level of skill and training for the pilot to control the aircraft at such high speeds.