Can a pilot wave be instantaneous?

In summary, the pilot wave is described by the Schrodinger equation or its relativistic cousin, and guides the configuration of the whole universe. The speed of wave propagation is finite, so the pilot wave is not instantaneous.
Terry M
I don't understand why it cannot be. If a particle is "riding" a pilot wave and is guided by it, then the pilot wave must precede the particle in some way. But at what speed? Isn't the simplest explanation that the pilot wave is instantaneous, with the particle simply being a phase phenomenon of this wave? Specifically, the group velocity of the pilot wave? This group velocity is limited in some way to c, so there are no causality issues. And it seems to solve the non-locality issues of QM very nicely. I've looked at the literature a bit, including Bell's "Speakable and unspeakable in quantum mechanics," and can't seem to find any discussion of this.

I'm also slugging my way through very basic quantum field theory, and see Fourier transforms being used to go back and forth between first and second quantization. Within a box, and using the boundary conditions given by this box, the Fourier summation doesn't pose a problem. But without a box, it seems that the boundary conditions could require the entire universe. Again, an instantaneous pilot wave seems to address this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The pilot wave is described by the Schrodinger equation or its relativistic cousin, so no, it is not instantaneous.

Hm, the pilot wave is a function on the configuration space, and time. [itex]\Psi=\Psi(q, t)[/itex]. The notion of time here is absolute time, not some relativistic proper time or so, and not a measurable quantity (each clock has even a nonzero probability to go backward in time).

It guides the configuration, which is some global object - the configuration of the whole universe. And one part of the configuration in one part of the universe defines which part of the wave function is relevant to all the other parts - and this happens instantaneously. So, even if the evolution of the wave function may be defined by local Hamilton operators, it is a very global object and the whole theory is inherently nonlocal.

Likes bhobba
Yes, but the speed of wave propagation is finite. In that sense (which seems to me to be closer to what Terry M asked) it is not instantaneous.

Thanks very much. I think I see my problem now. It is about under what conditions one may use the time-independent Schrodinger equation vs. the time-dependent one.
More for me to study!

Related to Can a pilot wave be instantaneous?

1. Can a pilot wave be instantaneous?

This is a commonly asked question among scientists and researchers studying the concept of a pilot wave. The answer is no, a pilot wave cannot be instantaneous. According to the theory of quantum mechanics, information cannot travel faster than the speed of light. Therefore, the pilot wave must also travel at a finite speed, although it is much faster than the speed of light.

2. How fast does a pilot wave travel?

The speed of a pilot wave is a topic of much debate and ongoing research. Some theories suggest that it travels at the speed of light, while others propose that it can travel faster than the speed of light. However, there is currently no conclusive evidence to support either claim. More research is needed to fully understand the speed of a pilot wave.

3. Does the existence of a pilot wave contradict the theory of relativity?

There is no direct contradiction between the concept of a pilot wave and the theory of relativity. However, some scientists argue that the idea of a pilot wave traveling faster than the speed of light could potentially challenge the theory of relativity. This is a topic of ongoing debate and research in the scientific community.

4. Is the pilot wave theory widely accepted among scientists?

The pilot wave theory is a controversial topic in the scientific community. While some scientists support and continue to research this theory, others do not believe it is a valid explanation for quantum mechanics. The majority of mainstream scientists still favor the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, which does not involve a pilot wave.

5. How does the concept of a pilot wave explain the wave-particle duality of quantum particles?

One of the main ideas behind the pilot wave theory is that particles in the quantum world are guided by a pilot wave, which determines their behavior and movement. This theory suggests that particles have both wave-like and particle-like properties because they are guided by a wave. However, this is still a topic of debate and research, and there is no clear consensus on how the pilot wave theory explains the wave-particle duality of quantum particles.