Can a Paraglider Survive Eight Days Underwater?

• Thread starter DoggerDan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Underwater
In summary, a man has broken the record for the longest dive, spending 8 days underwater on SCUBA. He also made a record for the longest paraglider flight, but the paragliding aspect is overshadowed by the impressive diving feat. The challenges of sleeping and going to the bathroom while underwater are also discussed.
DoggerDan
Here: http://news.yahoo.com/video/oddnews-22772304/odd-news-paraglider-vs-bird-double-double-delivery-8-day-dive-record-27140303.html

Skip the feathers. I applaud the guy. True, just a few feet, but he's on SCUBA, so sleeping? Gosh! Never did that. Took a few micronaps in my day, usually under helmet. Sleep when you can... Just wake up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. How did he, erm, go, I wonder? I bet his mouth/teeth were sore from the respirator...and can you imagine wearing a mask for 8 days? Ouch. And yeah, sleeping? He must have strapped the respirator to his head somehow...?

His skin must have been nearly falling off his body!

A guy who broke the record for 24-hour swimming already had the skin on his fingers practically falling of (despite covering them in glycerin), how can you survive 8 days?

From what I've seen of these attempts at records, the person is allowed a certain amount of time to go to the bathroom, rest briefly, walk around, etc... kind of ruins the stunt. Back in the olden days people made records the hard way, no breaks.

Evo said:
From what I've seen of these attempts at records, the person is allowed a certain amount of time to go to the bathroom, rest briefly, walk around, etc... kind of ruins the stunt. Back in the olden days people made records the hard way, no breaks.

So long as the water was being slowly replenished, urination isn't a problem. Defecation is, however, unless there's an "exit strategy" in place, Lol!

Related to Can a Paraglider Survive Eight Days Underwater?

1. Can a paraglider survive for eight days underwater?

It is highly unlikely that a paraglider can survive for eight days underwater. Paragliders are designed for flight and are not suitable for use underwater. Even with proper equipment, it would be difficult for a paraglider to sustain itself underwater for such a long period of time.

2. What would happen to a paraglider if it went underwater?

If a paraglider were to go underwater, it would quickly become filled with water and sink. The fabric and materials used in paragliders are not water-resistant and would not be able to withstand the pressure and weight of being underwater.

3. Are there any special modifications that can make a paraglider suitable for underwater use?

No, there are no modifications that can make a paraglider suitable for underwater use. Paragliders are specifically designed for flight and are not meant to be used underwater. Attempting to modify a paraglider for underwater use would likely result in it being unusable for its intended purpose.

4. Is it possible for a person to survive underwater for eight days with a paraglider?

No, it is not possible for a person to survive underwater for eight days with a paraglider. Even with proper equipment, it would be extremely difficult for a person to sustain themselves underwater for such a long period of time. Additionally, being trapped underwater for eight days would likely result in severe physical and psychological harm.

5. Are there any documented cases of a paraglider surviving underwater for an extended period of time?

No, there are no documented cases of a paraglider surviving underwater for an extended period of time. Paragliders are not designed or intended for use underwater, and attempting to do so would be extremely dangerous and potentially life-threatening.