Can a lower grade in AS level maths affect university offers for an A* course?

In summary, the individual is discussing their AS level results and their plans for future A-level exams. They mention wanting to go to Birmingham University for physics, but are concerned about not getting an A* in maths this year and how it may affect their chances of getting an offer. They plan to retake their C3 exam and are hoping to also get an A* in physics. They ask for thoughts and reassurance on this matter. The expert summarizes that the university may have flexible grade requirements and that their full A-level Further Maths should be sufficient for most courses, except single honours maths. The individual also clarifies that they are applying for an MSci in physics.
Julian Howes
Hi there,
I have just received my results for AS level this year - I'm taking maths, further maths, chemistry and physics.
However, like many people I did the full maths a-level this year (AS & A2) and I'm taking the further maths a-level next year (f.m. AS & A2).
I just missed out on an A* in my maths this year by a couple of percent (so I got As in maths AS, maths A2, chemistry AS & physics AS).
I'd love to go to Birmingham Uni in 2016 and do physics; however they ask for an A* and A in maths & physics (either way round).
I was just wondering if the fact that I didn't get an A* in maths this year would influence whether they gave me an offer or not?
And has anyone has experienced this before with not getting an A* in year 12/lower sixth and applying for an A* course?

I will of course retake my C3 exam next year (which is the one that let me down) and should get an A* (I just had a bad day with too many stupid mistakes), but I'm just a bit conscious that they'll see my A this year and that might affect their decision of an offer.
(I hope to get an A* in physics next year as well which would also meet the requirements, but I'd like to retake maths as a "safety net" for the extra A* anyway)
Please give your thoughts.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Birmingham isn't top tier, it's just entry requirement inflation. They'll almost certainly have at least half their courses in clearing, with much more...flexible grade reqs.

Of course you haven't indicated WHICH course you're applying to. Since you're doing the full A-level Further Maths, you should be fine for anything except single honours maths, which they might be a bit arsey about. Like, you would do fine on single honours maths with A grade A-level Maths, especially if you're doing full FM, but they could hold it against you.

I can't imagine it'd really make a difference for anything else if you also get an A in FM, since you'd have basically covered at least 50% of first year maths for physics/engineering etc at that point anyway.

Sorry I forgot - I'd probably apply for MSci in physics!
Thanks very much, that's reassured me.

Related to Can a lower grade in AS level maths affect university offers for an A* course?

What are AS/A2 grades and how do they differ?

AS/A2 grades refer to the grading system used in the United Kingdom for advanced level exams, which are typically taken at the end of secondary education. AS (Advanced Subsidiary) grades are typically taken in the first year of advanced level studies and A2 (Advanced Level) grades are taken in the second year. The main difference between AS and A2 grades is the level of difficulty and depth of content covered in the exams.

How are AS/A2 grades calculated?

AS/A2 grades are calculated based on a combination of exam performance and coursework. The exact weightage of each component may vary depending on the subject and exam board, but typically exams account for a larger percentage of the final grade. In some cases, practical assessments may also contribute to the overall grade.

What is the grading scale for AS/A2 grades?

The grading scale for AS/A2 grades in the United Kingdom is A* (highest), A, B, C, D, E, U (lowest). Grades A*-E are considered passing grades, while U indicates an unclassified result. Some exam boards may also use numerical grades (e.g. 9-1) instead of letters.

Can AS/A2 grades be converted to other grading systems?

Yes, AS/A2 grades can be converted to other grading systems using a conversion tool or formula provided by the exam board or educational institution. However, it is important to note that conversion may not be exact and the final grade may vary slightly depending on the system being converted to.

What is the significance of AS/A2 grades for university admissions?

AS/A2 grades are often used by universities as part of their admissions process. These grades, along with other factors such as personal statements and letters of recommendation, help universities determine if a student is well-suited for a particular program. Higher grades in relevant subjects may also be required for admission to competitive programs.