Can a Limit Converging to the Square Root of x be Proven from Given Statements?

In summary, the problem asks for a proof of ##\lim_{n \to \infty}a_{n}=\sqrt{x}## given the statements ##a_{n}^2 \ge x## , ##a_{n+1} \le a_{n}## , ##x > 0## and ##\inf a_{n} > 0 ##. However, it is not possible to prove this statement as it is not necessarily true. A counterexample would be a decreasing sequence that converges to ##\sqrt{x+1}##.

Homework Statement

I have given the statements: ##a_{n}^2 \ge x## , ##a_{n+1} \le a_{n}## , ##x > 0## and ##\inf a_{n} > 0 ##. How to prove the following: ##\lim_{n \to \infty}a_{n}=\sqrt{x}##

Homework Equations

##a_{n}^2 \ge x## , ##a_{n+1} \le a_{n}## , ##x > 0## and ##\inf a_{n} > 0 ##
##\lim_{n \to \infty}a_{n}=\sqrt{x}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have come so far: $$a_{n}\ge a_{n+1} \ge \sqrt{x}$$ How shall I continue?

Physics news on Phys.org
3102 said:

Homework Statement

I have given the statements: ##a_{n}^2 \ge x## , ##a_{n+1} \le a_{n}## , ##x > 0## and ##\inf a_{n} > 0 ##. How to prove the following: ##\lim_{n \to \infty}a_{n}=\sqrt{x}##

Homework Equations

##a_{n}^2 \ge x## , ##a_{n+1} \le a_{n}## , ##x > 0## and ##\inf a_{n} > 0 ##
##\lim_{n \to \infty}a_{n}=\sqrt{x}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have come so far: $$a_{n}\ge a_{n+1} \ge \sqrt{x}$$ How shall I continue?

Are you sure that's the problem? There's not enough information there to show that the limit is ##\sqrt{x}##

Likes 3102
You can't prove this, it is not true!

For example, a decreasing sequence that converges to [itex]\sqrt{x+ 1}[/itex] will satisfy all the hypotheses of your "theorem".

Likes 3102

Related to Can a Limit Converging to the Square Root of x be Proven from Given Statements?

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a particular value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a specific value, without actually reaching it.

2. How do you prove a limit?

To prove a limit, you must show that the function approaches a specific value as its input approaches a certain value. This can be done using various techniques such as the epsilon-delta definition, the squeeze theorem, or direct substitution.

3. What is the epsilon-delta definition of a limit?

The epsilon-delta definition of a limit is a mathematical definition used to prove that a function approaches a specific value as its input approaches a given value. It states that for every positive value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding positive value of delta such that when the input is within delta units of the given value, the output is within epsilon units of the desired limit.

4. What is the squeeze theorem?

The squeeze theorem, also known as the sandwich theorem, is a method used to prove a limit by comparing the given function to two other functions whose limits are known. If the two functions "squeeze" the original function between them, then the limit of the original function must also exist and be equal to the limits of the two comparison functions.

5. What is direct substitution?

Direct substitution is a method used to evaluate a limit by plugging the given value directly into the function. This method can only be used if the function is continuous at the given value, meaning that the limit exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point.