Can a Half Dipole Antenna Function Inside a Resonant Cavity?

In summary: I don't have access to COMSOL or a similar E&M simulation package through my university. I am not sure what year I am in, but it is for an engineering class. Which one is this?This is for an engineering class for electrical and electronic engineering.Which class is this for?This is for an engineering class for electrical and electronic engineering.
Massi
Hi ,
what happen if a half dipole linear antenna is placed inside an electric conducting resonant cavity? The cavity itself is the conductive ground of the half dipole antenna. How can I solve such problem in which the cavity works as resonant cavity and it is part of the antenna itself?
Cheers
massi

Physics news on Phys.org
Massi said:
Hi ,
what happen if a half dipole linear antenna is placed inside an electric conducting resonant cavity? The cavity itself is the conductive ground of the half dipole antenna. How can I solve such problem in which the cavity works as resonant cavity and it is part of the antenna itself?
Cheers
massi
Can you post a sketch of the antenna inside of the resonant cavity? Given the antenna pattern of a monopole antenna, I'm having trouble visualizing a resonant cavity shape that would work.

And why use a monopole antenna instead of a full dipole antenna if you want to make this work inside a resonant cavity?

the system looks like this

upload_2017-3-20_17-43-53.png

massi

Massi said:
the system looks like this

View attachment 114803
massi
That only looks like it would be "resonant" in some very complex modes. What is the overall goal with this? Is it just an exercise in simulation for school, or does it have some practical application?

it is a simulation exercise,

cheers
massi

Massi said:
it is a simulation exercise,

cheers
massi
What simulation software are you using? Please show us your work so far on this exercise...

I just need to solve this exercise to calculate the system behaviaur, please if you have a book about it or suggestions I really appreciate.
thanks in advance
cheers
massi

Massi said:
I just need to solve this exercise to calculate the system behaviaur, please if you have a book about it or suggestions I really appreciate.
thanks in advance
cheers
massi
That will be a pretty complicated solution without useing COMSOL or a similar simulation package. What is your background in antenna theory and E&M. What year are you at university? Which class is this for?

Have you had basic antenna theory like in this book?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Kzq7CA0cL._SX388_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51Kzq7CA0cL._SX388_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Likes Massi
I am in the last year, I have some experience with cavity and antenna radiation but I am not such expert, I didn't know this book thank you
m

Massi said:
I am in the last year, I have some experience with cavity and antenna radiation but I am not such expert, I didn't know this book thank you
m
Your sketch shows the reflecting cavity in the near field. That also will make the calculations/simulations more complex. Is that your intent?

Likes Massi
berkeman said:
Your sketch shows the reflecting cavity in the near field. That also will make the calculations/simulations more complex. Is that your intent?
yes it is that

Massi said:
yes it is that
Well, I don't think you'll be able to make much progress without using simulation software. Do you have access to COMSOL or a similar E&M simulation package through your university? I don't see how they could give you an assignment like this without giving you access to proper simulation software...

Likes Massi
It seems that soon I can chose or CST or comsol software but I should still learn how to do it..

Related to Can a Half Dipole Antenna Function Inside a Resonant Cavity?

1. What is an antenna inside of a cavity?

An antenna inside of a cavity refers to a type of antenna design where the antenna is placed inside a metal cavity or enclosure. This design is often used in applications where a high level of shielding or isolation is required.

2. How does an antenna inside of a cavity work?

The antenna inside of a cavity works by using the metal walls of the cavity to reflect and guide the radiated energy from the antenna. This results in a more focused and directed radiation pattern, and also provides shielding from external interference.

3. What are the advantages of using an antenna inside of a cavity?

Some advantages of using an antenna inside of a cavity include improved radiation efficiency, increased signal strength and range, and better noise rejection due to the shielding provided by the cavity. This type of antenna is also less prone to interference from other nearby electronic devices.

4. What are the limitations of using an antenna inside of a cavity?

One limitation of using an antenna inside of a cavity is the increased complexity of design and fabrication. The cavity must be precisely designed and constructed for optimal performance, which can be more expensive and time-consuming. Additionally, the size and weight of the cavity may make it less suitable for certain applications.

5. In what applications are antennas inside of cavities commonly used?

Antennas inside of cavities are commonly used in high-frequency communication systems, such as radar, satellite, and military communication systems. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, where shielding is critical for safety and accuracy.