Can a flight cause an ear infection?

In summary, pressure differentials caused by altitude changes can lead to temporary pain and can potentially cause lasting infections. This is supported by the fact that flying is listed as a risk factor for sinus infections, as any fluid build-up in the inner ear can increase the risk of infection. Even an unpressurized flight can create conditions for infection to occur. Deep dives can also lead to sinus infections as changes in pressure can force mucus with bacteria into the inner ear through the Eustachian tube.
Dr Lots-o'watts
I understand how a pressure differential caused by an altitude change can cause temporary pain, but can it actually cause a lasting infection? There are two suspected cases in my entourage.

Biology news on Phys.org
Anything which can cause a fluid build-up in the inner ear raises the risk of infection. Ever been on an unpressurized flight?... heh, my ears didn't feel too great, and while it didn't directly infect me, it created the conditions for infection to set in.

After several long deep dives, I ended up with a really bad sinus infection, which went into my inner ear. Ouch, talk about painful!

Any change of pressure from low to high can force some mucus with bacteria into inner ear through Eustachian tube, that can end in infection.

Related to Can a flight cause an ear infection?

1. Can flying cause an ear infection?

Yes, flying can potentially cause an ear infection, although it is not a common occurrence. This is known as "barotrauma" and happens when the pressure in the middle ear becomes imbalanced with the pressure outside of the ear, often during takeoff or landing.

2. What are the symptoms of an ear infection caused by a flight?

The symptoms of an ear infection caused by a flight may include pain or discomfort in the ear, hearing loss, pressure or fullness in the ear, and/or dizziness. In more severe cases, there may also be drainage from the ear or a fever.

3. Who is most at risk for developing an ear infection from a flight?

Individuals who have a history of ear infections or other ear-related issues, such as a perforated eardrum or Eustachian tube dysfunction, may be more susceptible to developing an ear infection from a flight. Children, especially those under the age of 2, are also more prone to experiencing ear discomfort during flights.

4. How can I prevent an ear infection from occurring during a flight?

To prevent an ear infection from occurring during a flight, it is important to try to equalize the pressure in your ears by chewing gum, swallowing, or using specialized earplugs designed for air travel. It may also be helpful to take a decongestant before the flight to open up the Eustachian tube and allow for better equalization of pressure.

5. Is it safe to fly if I have an ear infection?

If you have an ear infection, it is generally not recommended to fly until the infection has resolved. The pressure changes during a flight can worsen the symptoms and potentially cause more serious complications. It is important to consult with a doctor before flying if you have an ear infection.