Can a Downgraded Video Driver Solve the Blue Screen of Death Error?

In summary, the conversation revolved around resolving an ialmdev5.DLL error that was causing the game Spore to crash with a blue screen. After trying different solutions found through Google, it was suggested to update the video card drivers and OS, and to use the Windows debugger to determine the exact cause of the crash. One person shared their experience of resolving a similar issue by updating their "rescue and recovery" program, while another person found success by downgrading their video driver.
00nameless00
I started playing the game Spore today, but the game keeps crashing with the blue screen, something about ialmdev5.DLL error. Please help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Just Google on the error code and you'll get all the links you need.

Tried that, every link leads to a different solution, some of them are outdated, not sure which one to use.

Try updating your video card graphic drivers. Also apply all the latest OS updates and any updates for the game. See respective vendors for updates.

Is it the actual Blue Screen of Death or is it just an error message? I got the BSoD and needed to reinstall XP when I had it on my old computer.

Use the windows debugger to read the output of the crash. (a quick google search will tell you how to do this). This will help you determine exactly what caused the crash (faulty driver, application...)
For example, I was getting the BSOD on my thinkpad and using the debugger I found that the "rescue and recovery" program that came with the computer was outdated. Installing the latest version solved the problem.

Upgrading my video driver did not help. Here is what I did to solve my ialmdev5 error:
I uninstalled my current drivers, then searched google for a downgraded driver 6.14.10.4410 dated 10/14/2005. When I installed this my error quit coming up. Intel chipset 915GM/GMS 910GML. Hope this helps someone.

Related to Can a Downgraded Video Driver Solve the Blue Screen of Death Error?

1. What is the "Blue Screen of Death Error"?

The "Blue Screen of Death Error" (also known as a BSOD or STOP error) is a critical system error that occurs in Windows operating systems. It is characterized by a blue screen with white text and can be caused by a variety of factors, including hardware or software issues.

2. What causes the "Blue Screen of Death Error"?

The "Blue Screen of Death Error" can be caused by a range of issues, such as faulty hardware, corrupted system files, outdated drivers, or incompatible software. It can also be triggered by overheating, power supply issues, or malware infections.

3. How do I fix the "Blue Screen of Death Error"?

The steps to fix the "Blue Screen of Death Error" will depend on the underlying cause. Some common solutions include updating drivers and software, performing a system restore, running a virus scan, or checking for hardware issues. If the error persists, it may be necessary to seek professional help or reinstall the operating system.

4. Can the "Blue Screen of Death Error" cause permanent damage to my computer?

In most cases, the "Blue Screen of Death Error" is a temporary issue that can be resolved without causing permanent damage to your computer. However, if the error is caused by hardware issues, it is possible that it may cause damage if left unresolved. It is important to address the error as soon as possible to prevent any further damage.

5. How can I prevent the "Blue Screen of Death Error" from happening?

To prevent the "Blue Screen of Death Error" from occurring, it is essential to keep your computer's software and drivers up to date, use reputable antivirus software, and perform regular system maintenance. It is also important to properly shut down your computer and avoid overheating by keeping it in a well-ventilated area.