Can a Dog Whistle Device Deter Nuisance Youths?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, the Mosquito is a high-pitched "dog whistle" device that is to be used by police in north Staffordshire to stop groups of nuisance youths hanging around shops. It costs £622 and is fitted outside the shop. The Mosquito sends out a pulsing 80-decibel frequency noise which can usually only be heard by teenagers and those in their early 20s. The device is being piloted at two locations in Leek. The instructor should invite the youths to remove themselves and their antics to someplace more appropriate than the classroom.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I usually just turn on the lawn sprinklers to rid my yard of pesky teenagers, but this looks fun, too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/staffordshire/4715526.stm

A high-pitched "dog whistle" device is to be used by police in north Staffordshire to stop groups of nuisance youths hanging around shops. The Mosquito sends out a pulsing 80-decibel frequency noise which can usually only be heard by teenagers and those in their early 20s.

It is now being piloted at two locations in Leek.

The device, which costs £622, is fitted outside the shop and can be turned on by shopkeepers to move youths on.

Det Insp Amanda Davies, from Staffordshire Police, said: "We identified hotspot areas in the Moorlands where nuisance youths were regularly gathering outside shops and takeaways

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought this would be a story about big, mean looking dogs trained to walk by the youths, eyeing them and whistling Every Breath You Take.

I have never run across this before, about people losing their sensitivity to these frequencies by their mid-twenties.

It reminds me of a thread here last year about people hearing high pitched whines coming from television sets while no one else seemed to be able to hear it. There is probably a lot of this kind of disparity in sensitivity to different sensory imput than has been documented yet.

oh, would I ever love to use this in one of my classes. We have the most obnoxious group of kids in that class and their lab table is right next to mine. I could hand out earplugs to my lab partners and then turn on "The Mosquito", and watch everyone else flee from the lab! hmmm...maybe I could just make one of these little devices...:devil:

What?

Math Is Hard said:
oh, would I ever love to use this in one of my classes. We have the most obnoxious group of kids in that class and their lab table is right next to mine.
What is it they do that's bothering you? I could call in some of my mob favors and have them put out of your misery.

zoobyshoe said:
What is it they do that's bothering you? I could call in some of my mob favors and have them put out of your misery.
They are boorish, loud, and disgusting. Of the group of four, at least one is on his 3rd attempt to pass the class. At least two are sleeping together and make it well known to everyone surrounding through vulgar gestures to each other. All of them delight in shouting incoherent answers to all the teacher's questions. And during labs, they try to cheat off my hardworking group. :mad:

I suggest that you all eat lots of beans before going to class.

That'll teach em!

Math Is Hard said:
They are boorish, loud, and disgusting. Of the group of four, at least one is on his 3rd attempt to pass the class. At least two are sleeping together and make it well known to everyone surrounding through vulgar gestures to each other. All of them delight in shouting incoherent answers to all the teacher's questions. And during labs, they try to cheat off my hardworking group. :mad:
No measures taken by the lab supervisor (or whoever is running the show there) to get them to behave?

I can hear a high pitched whine coming from most tube tvs. When I come in my back door, I can tell immediately if the tv in my living room at the front of the house is on.

Math Is Hard said:
The instructor should invite them to remove themselves and their antics to someplace more appropriate than the classroom.

It still amazes me that loitering teenagers have become such a problem as to require a device like that to chase them off. Is it really a problem, or are there just a lot of grouchy shopkeepers?

Ivan said:
I suggest that you all eat lots of beans before going to class.
Yeah, that's all well and good until I have to light the Bunsen burner. :frown:

Moonbear said:
The instructor should invite them to remove themselves and their antics to someplace more appropriate than the classroom.
I hope she gives them the boot. The teacher is really sweet and patient, but I think eventually she'll get sick of it.

It still amazes me that loitering teenagers have become such a problem as to require a device like that to chase them off. Is it really a problem, or are there just a lot of grouchy shopkeepers?
We had two teenagers living in an apartment downstairs from me - by themselves. Their mom left them there and went to live with her boyfriend. Pretty soon we had large groups of kids hanging out at all hours. Then they started selling drugs and it became like Grand Central Station. My neighbors on the other side were robbed. Our landlord finally was able to evict them (they stopped paying rent), but it took 3 months and he had to take the mother to court to get them out.
It would have been nice to have "The Mosquito" to help disperse them.

Bah, this story tempts me to go into Engineering just so I can invent a device that emits a sound which pisses off old people.

Youths loafing about is a problem, employing a device that affects the liberty of the majority to deter a minority of troublemakers is, to me, quite illiberal and disgusting.

Math Is Hard said:
Pretty soon we had large groups of kids hanging out at all hours. Then they started selling drugs and it became like Grand Central Station. My neighbors on the other side were robbed. Our landlord finally was able to evict them (they stopped paying rent), but it took 3 months and he had to take the mother to court to get them out.
It would have been nice to have "The Mosquito" to help disperse them.
7/11 stores began playing loud classical music through exterior speakers in locations where this kind of glomming based on drug sales became a problem. According to the article I read it worked.

This did become a problem around here, this glomming. It got so you had to squeeze through a crude gauntlet of teens to get into certain stores and fast food places. The police finally responded with a vengeance, outlawed all activity that even looked like gang activity, set a curfew, and made a bunch of drug arrests. Surprisingly good results.

zoobyshoe said:
This did become a problem around here, this glomming. It got so you had to squeeze through a crude gauntlet of teens to get into certain stores and fast food places. The police finally responded with a vengeance, outlawed all activity that even looked like gang activity, set a curfew, and made a bunch of drug arrests. Surprisingly good results.
See, that's what I don't quite understand. If they're doing something illegal, and even disturbing the peace is illegal, it seems calling the police to arrest them or issue tickets/fines is a more direct solution than trying to annoy them with high-pitched whistles, which may or may not work depending on how much they've already damaged their hearing with loud music. But, if they aren't doing anything illegal, then what's the need to deter them away? If it was any other group of people other than teens, wouldn't there be an outcry of age-ism, racism, sexism, or whatever other -ism fit the group they were chasing away?

It's a big step to call the cops and have them shake down a bunch of kids, kind of like calling animal control to come and shoot a bunch of pidgeons who roost on your business' sign, bombarding your customers. Better to make it undesirable for the pidgeons to roost there in the first place with those spikey things they put up so they can't even land.

zoobyshoe said:
It's a big step to call the cops and have them shake down a bunch of kids, kind of like calling animal control to come and shoot a bunch of pidgeons who roost on your business' sign, bombarding your customers. Better to make it undesirable for the pidgeons to roost there in the first place with those spikey things they put up so they can't even land.

A slight problem with your analogy is that last time I checked freedom of assembly isn't a right for pidgeons. Human beings, on the other hand...

Just some guy said:
A slight problem with your analogy is that last time I checked freedom of assembly isn't a right for pidgeons. Human beings, on the other hand...
They're perfectly free to assemble. They just have to tolerate the annoying sound.

As a teenager last week, I would've been disgusted by this. Now, as a mature 20-year-old, I say, "Go get those whippersnappers!"

can usually only be heard by teenagers and those in their early 20s.
You're not safe here!

Happy Birthday!

Manchot said:
As a teenager last week, I would've been disgusted by this. Now, as a mature 20-year-old, I say, "Go get those whippersnappers!"
Welcome to geezing codgerhood, Manchot! Your cane and bifocals are in the mail.

People have the right to free assembly, but you certainly do not have "right" to loiter on private property.

The thing I don't quite get about this "Mosquito" thing is that, wouldn't it bother the empolyees too? Don't the fast-food loiter zones employ people the same age as the loiterers?

It says they're setting it up outside shops. There's probably enough deadening once you're inside not to bother you. Otherwise, you're right and I think they'd lose any employees who could hear it.

Related to Can a Dog Whistle Device Deter Nuisance Youths?

1. What is a "dog whistle" to control youths?

A "dog whistle" is a term used to describe a covert or coded message that is aimed at a specific group of people, often used in politics or advertising. In the context of controlling youths, it refers to tactics or strategies that are designed to influence or manipulate young individuals.

2. How is a "dog whistle" used to control youths?

A "dog whistle" can be used in various ways to control youths, such as through language, media, or social influence. For example, using certain buzzwords or phrases that hold hidden meanings or connotations can be a form of dog whistle to influence the behavior or beliefs of young individuals.

3. Are there any ethical concerns with using a "dog whistle" to control youths?

Yes, there are ethical concerns with using a "dog whistle" to control youths. It can be seen as a manipulative tactic and may exploit the vulnerability and impressionability of young individuals. It can also perpetuate harmful stereotypes and undermine critical thinking skills.

4. Can "dog whistles" be used for positive purposes to guide youths?

While the term "dog whistle" often carries a negative connotation, it is possible for it to be used for positive purposes to guide youths. For instance, using coded messages to promote positive behaviors or values, such as promoting diversity and inclusivity, can be considered a form of "dog whistle."

5. How can we protect youths from falling prey to "dog whistle" tactics?

To protect youths from falling prey to "dog whistle" tactics, it is important to promote critical thinking skills and media literacy from a young age. Educating youths about the use of manipulative tactics and promoting diversity and inclusivity can also help them recognize and resist the influence of "dog whistles."

Back