Can a Civil Engineering Student Pursue Astronomy or Astrophysics?

In summary: Since you didn't state specifically where you were looking to study, none of us knew either. Next time maybe you'll provide such highly relevant information so that people will be able to answer your question.
Astro.padma
Hi...am pursuing B.tech 2nd yr in Civil Engineering from India. I am very much interested in Astronomy and Astrophysics. But as I am already into my engineering, I don't find any way for my interests. Can anyone help me with this?

Please let me know if a Civil Engineering under graduate can do Astronomy or Astrophysics courses either in India or abroad :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Most likely not. You wouldn't be considered qualified to do actual research with a CE degree. You might be able to enroll in a graduate program for astrophysics or astronomy, but again it's a long shot due to your background.

fss said:
You might be able to enroll in a graduate program for astrophysics or astronomy, but again it's a long shot due to your background.
Ya...that is what am asking about...Can I do my post graduation in Astronomy or astrophysics, being a CE UG?

pranathi said:
Can I do my post graduation in Astronomy or astrophysics, being a CE UG?

As I said, most likely not. It depends on if you can convince an astronomy/astrophysics program you are qualified.

Can you please go in brief regarding the courses am supposed to convince , as you said?

pranathi said:
Can you please go in brief regarding the courses am supposed to convince , as you said?

Look at any basic undergraduate physics program, ignore the courses you might have already taken. Those are the kinds of courses you'd need.

Am really confused and unable to make it out from your answer :frown:

Can you please state an exact way for a Civil engineering student to become either a theoretical or an observational Astronomer?

Is it possible if I do masters in physics after my UG?

pranathi said:
Can you please state an exact way for a Civil engineering student to become either a theoretical or an observational Astronomer?

Ok. Here is one (of many) "exact" ways to go from Civil engineering to a theoretical or observational Astronomer.

1) Apply to an astronomy (or more likely, physics program).
2) Get accepted.
3) Earn your PhD.
4) Done.

You are asking much to general a question for this board to help you. You are the only one in this conversation that knows your qualifications. I have tried to direct you to the proper resources to give you a better idea of where you might stack up in the applicant pool, but you seem to be unwilling to take two seconds to solve your own problem.

Please stop asking the same question over and over again. There is no definitive way to get from your point A to your desired point B.

fss said:
Ok. Here is one (of many) "exact" ways to go from Civil engineering to a theoretical or observational Astronomer.

1) Apply to an astronomy (or more likely, physics program).
2) Get accepted.

Let me say you one thing, Sir...Unlike in the case of most of the countries, in India we can't "get accepted" and in fact, we must take up some or the other exam,:frown: even to pass through the second stage, you have stated above. This is where, am getting stacked up for I don't know what are the "exact" exams I am supposed to take :mad:and that doesn't mean that I am unable to spend even the so called "2 seconds" of time.:frown:

Most of the times, I've seen people like you getting frustrated with the type of questions we ask and get a bit harsh. But please, many of the students like me, of age 17 have come here, having many hopes that this physics forum is the only place where we can get some or the other solution to our problems. We would be waiting hours to receive your answer at times and please don't narrow your answers, ignoring our silly doubts :frown:

Sorry if am a bit toooo descriptive but I really want to express this for heaven sake :smile:

pranathi said:
Let me say you one thing, Sir...Unlike in the case of most of the countries, in India we can't "get accepted" and in fact, we must take up some or the other exam,:frown: even to pass through the second stage, you have stated above.

Right, sometimes "getting accepted" involves more than one step.

This is where, am getting stacked up for I don't know what are the "exact" exams I am supposed to take :mad:and that doesn't mean that I am unable to spend even the so called "2 seconds" of time.:frown:

...and since you didn't state specifically where you were looking to study, none of us knew either. Next time maybe you'll provide such highly relevant information so that people will be able to answer your question.

Furthermore, this point is more or less a nonissue as any institution advanced enough to offer an advanced degree will list what tests you need to take in order to be admitted. This information should not be difficult to find for anyone with the slightest inclination on how to use the internet.

We would be waiting hours to receive your answer at times and please don't narrow your answers, ignoring our silly doubts :frown:

If you are honestly spending hours clicking "refresh" on your browser waiting for an answer, I would suggest that your time is better spent doing... anything else. If you really plan on pursuing a physics degree, you should get into the habit of not relying on others to do your work for you.

fss said:
If you really plan on pursuing a physics degree, you should get into the habit of not relying on others to do your work for you.
Sir... I am not relying on you for what I can do on my own and anyways...If you are that frustrated with my question, you shouldn't have replied me...anyways, thanks for your response. Bye :smile:

You're best option is probably to change your major to physics or astronomy.

If you look at a list of the classes that physics and astronomy majors at your school are required to take, then that will tell you what classes you need to take to become an astronomy graduate student. It should be possible for you to find this list of classes.

Related to Can a Civil Engineering Student Pursue Astronomy or Astrophysics?

1. What is the connection between civil engineering and astronomy?

Civil engineering and astronomy both involve the study and understanding of the physical world. Civil engineers use their knowledge of physics and materials to design and construct structures on Earth, while astronomers study the properties and behavior of objects in space. Both disciplines also rely on mathematics and technology to carry out their work.

2. How does astronomy play a role in civil engineering projects?

Astronomy plays a crucial role in civil engineering projects, specifically in the construction of large structures. Engineers use astronomical data to determine the location and orientation of structures, such as buildings and bridges, to ensure they are aligned with the movement of the Earth and other celestial bodies. This is important for stability and longevity of the structure.

3. What are some examples of civil engineering projects that involve astronomy?

Some examples of civil engineering projects that involve astronomy include the construction of large telescopes, such as the Keck Observatory in Hawaii, which required precise alignment with the stars for optimal viewing. Another example is the construction of the Pyramids of Giza, which were aligned with the stars and served as astronomical observatories for ancient Egyptians.

4. How has astronomy influenced the development of civil engineering?

Astronomy has influenced the development of civil engineering in many ways. For instance, the ancient Greeks used astronomical knowledge to design and construct some of their most famous structures, such as the Parthenon. In modern times, advancements in telescopes and space exploration have led to the development of new materials and technologies, which have been incorporated into civil engineering projects.

5. What are some potential future collaborations between civil engineering and astronomy?

In the future, civil engineering and astronomy are likely to collaborate on projects related to space exploration and colonization. Civil engineers may be involved in designing and constructing structures on other planets or in space, while astronomers may provide input on the environmental conditions and potential hazards of these locations. Additionally, both disciplines may work together on projects related to sustainable energy sources, such as solar power, which relies on understanding of both civil engineering and astronomy principles.