Can a 3x3 matrix have 4 eigenvalues?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving or disproving a title related to finding eigenvalues of a 3 x 3 matrix. The process of finding eigenvalues is mentioned, including using a determinant to get the characteristic equation which would result in an equation of degree 3. The impossibility of a 3 x 3 matrix having four eigenvalues is also mentioned, and the use of determinants to find eigenvalues is further discussed.
nicknaq

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove the title of this thread.

Homework Equations

AX=(lamda)X

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
nicknaq said:

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove the title of this thread.

Homework Equations

AX=(lamda)X

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start

Start with the process you use to find the eigenvalues of a 3 x 3 matrix, which involves a determinant to get the characteristic equation for the matrix. What degree equation would you expect to get?

Mark44 said:
Start with the process you use to find the eigenvalues of a 3 x 3 matrix, which involves a determinant to get the characteristic equation for the matrix. What degree equation would you expect to get?

an equation of degree 3

So it's not possible for a 3 x 3 matrix to have four eigenvalues, right?

Mark44 said:
So it's not possible for a 3 x 3 matrix to have four eigenvalues, right?

right. Is there any proof that I can say for why an equation of degree 3 cannot have 4 solutions?

I guess it's obvious though.

no its not possible. I had completed this topic only today in my class and here is one interesting question.

how to solve for eigen values. I think we need to take determinant. of A -[tex]\lambda[/tex] I

so we will get [tex]\lambda[/tex] cube in the equation which obviously will give three values of [tex]\lambda[/tex]

Related to Can a 3x3 matrix have 4 eigenvalues?

1. Can a 3x3 matrix have 4 eigenvalues?

No, a 3x3 matrix can only have up to 3 distinct eigenvalues.

2. Is it possible for a 3x3 matrix to have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a 3x3 matrix can have complex eigenvalues, as long as it has at least one complex entry in its matrix elements.

3. How can I find the eigenvalues of a 3x3 matrix?

You can find the eigenvalues of a 3x3 matrix by solving the characteristic equation, det(A-λI) = 0, where A is the matrix and λ is the variable representing the eigenvalue.

4. Can a 3x3 matrix have repeated eigenvalues?

Yes, a 3x3 matrix can have repeated eigenvalues, as long as the matrix is not diagonalizable. In this case, the matrix will have fewer than 3 distinct eigenvalues.

5. How many eigenvectors can a 3x3 matrix have?

A 3x3 matrix can have up to 3 linearly independent eigenvectors, corresponding to each of its eigenvalues.