Can a 3x3 matrix equate to a 4x4 matrix?

In summary: The 4x4 matrix has 16 elements while the 3x3 matrix has only 9 elements. Additionally, the 4x4 matrix has zeros in every row and column, while the 3x3 matrix does not. This means that the two matrices represent different sets of information and cannot be equated to each other.
Darkmisc

Homework Statement

My question involves finding the determinant of a 4x4 matrix, which I know how to do.

The matrix is

0 1 2 3
0 1 2 5
0 3 5 6
0 0 0 0

Since the matrix has zeros in every row and column, its determinant will equal 0.

However, I got to thinking that if I wrote out the matrix in equation form, I'd get

0a + b + 2c + 3d
0a + b + 2c + 5d
0a + 3b + 5c +6d
0 + 0 + 0 + 0

Does the 4x4 matrix equate to the 3x3 matrix

1 2 3
1 2 5
3 5 6 ?

Homework Equations

(see above for equations)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm incline to say no, since the 3x3 matrix would have a determinant, but from the perspective of the equations, I don't see how that are different (at least in terms of the information they convey).

Can anyone explain to me how the two matrices are different? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Darkmisc said:

Homework Statement

My question involves finding the determinant of a 4x4 matrix, which I know how to do.

The matrix is

0 1 2 3
0 1 2 5
0 3 5 6
0 0 0 0

Since the matrix has zeros in every row and column, its determinant will equal 0.

However, I got to thinking that if I wrote out the matrix in equation form, I'd get

0a + b + 2c + 3d
0a + b + 2c + 5d
0a + 3b + 5c +6d
0 + 0 + 0 + 0
These are not equations; they are expressions that represent the product of your 4x4 matrix and a column vector [a b c d]. They are not equations because there is no equals sign.
Darkmisc said:
Does the 4x4 matrix equate to the 3x3 matrix
No. An n x n matrix can never be equal to an m x m matrix if n is different from m. The two matrices belong to different spaces, so cannot be compared. The same is true for vectors from different spaces.
Darkmisc said:
1 2 3
1 2 5
3 5 6 ?

Homework Equations

(see above for equations)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm incline to say no, since the 3x3 matrix would have a determinant, but from the perspective of the equations, I don't see how that are different (at least in terms of the information they convey).

Can anyone explain to me how the two matrices are different? Thanks.
The two matrices are different because they have different numbers of elements.

Related to Can a 3x3 matrix equate to a 4x4 matrix?

1. Can a 3x3 matrix be equal to a 4x4 matrix?

No, a 3x3 matrix and a 4x4 matrix cannot be equal as they have different dimensions. In order for two matrices to be equal, they must have the same number of rows and columns.

2. Can a 3x3 matrix and a 4x4 matrix have the same number of elements?

No, a 3x3 matrix and a 4x4 matrix cannot have the same number of elements as they have different dimensions. A 3x3 matrix has 9 elements while a 4x4 matrix has 16 elements.

3. Can a 3x3 matrix and a 4x4 matrix have the same determinant?

No, the determinant of a matrix is only defined for square matrices. Since a 3x3 matrix and a 4x4 matrix are not both square matrices, they cannot have the same determinant.

4. Can a 3x3 matrix and a 4x4 matrix have the same trace?

No, the trace of a matrix is only defined for square matrices. Since a 3x3 matrix and a 4x4 matrix are not both square matrices, they cannot have the same trace.

5. Can a 3x3 matrix and a 4x4 matrix have the same eigenvalues?

No, the eigenvalues of a matrix are only defined for square matrices. Since a 3x3 matrix and a 4x4 matrix are not both square matrices, they cannot have the same eigenvalues.