Can 5D Wormholes Make Instant Global Shipping Possible?

• Thread starter rodsika
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wormhole
In summary, General Relativity can work up to 100 dimensions or more. If that is so, could you please post the Schwarzschild solution in 100 dimensions. I'd like to check my work.
rodsika
General Relativity can work up to 100 dimensions or more. Supposed Lisa Randall were right and there were extra large dimensions. Would it be easier to build wormhole between say New York and Europe so packages sent in futuristic Fedex would take instantaneously time to get transfered?

It's like instead of pulling together space between New York and Europe, one can take shortcut through higher dimensional space with much less energy. Does General Relativity allow this?

Physics news on Phys.org
General Relativity can work up to 100 dimensions or more.
If that is so, could you please post the Schwarzschild solution in 100 dimensions. I'd like to check my work.
Supposed Lisa Randall were right and there were extra large dimensions. Would it be easier to build wormhole between say New York and Europe so packages sent in futuristic Fedex would take instantaneously time to get transfered?
Lisa Randall's ideas about large extra dimensions are well motivated, for reasons which do *not* include traveling faster than light, backwards in time, etc. Despite anything you may have heard, Fedex does not sponsor her research.

Bill_K said:
If that is so, could you please post the Schwarzschild solution in 100 dimensions. I'd like to check my work.

Lisa Randall's ideas about large extra dimensions are well motivated, for reasons which do *not* include traveling faster than light, backwards in time, etc. Despite anything you may have heard, Fedex does not sponsor her research.

What I was saying was that any additional dimension always gives extra degree of freedom. For example. In Flatlanders. If you bend a flat sheet of paper with the ends touching. You can make the 2D flatlanders jump end to end without going in between. Similarly if reality was 5D. Can we pull stunt like it where we don't have to bend space and time by using massive energy but simply taking a jump to that 5 dimension and exiting it in another place far with least amount of energy expenditures? Does General Relativity allow such dynamics? How?

rodsika said:
General Relativity can work up to 100 dimensions or more. Supposed Lisa Randall were right and there were extra large dimensions. Would it be easier to build wormhole between say New York and Europe so packages sent in futuristic Fedex would take instantaneously time to get transfered?

Extra dimension only assist the creation of quantum wormholes (and black holes). The minimum mass for such an object is the so-called Planck mass. The effective Planck decreases with the number of dimensions. This is why the possibility of finding micro black holes and wormholes was serious considered for the Large Hadron Collider. The Planck mass, reduced by presumed extra dimensions, would be within the energy range of the LHC.

So if the 1st step in creating macroscopic wormhole is to create a quantum wormhole (that can be expanded), the answer is, "Yes, 5D slightly helps."

It's like instead of pulling together space between New York and Europe, one can take shortcut through higher dimensional space with much less energy. Does General Relativity allow this?

No. The only new feature of a 5D wormhole connecting widely separated regions in of a 4D universe is the possibility of a traveler going "off brane", i.e. entering the wormhole and finding himself emerging in the void external to the universe.

I found this http://www.webfilesuci.org/wormholefaq.html" that explained a lot for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can 5D Wormholes Make Instant Global Shipping Possible?

1. How is a 5D wormhole more efficient than a 4D wormhole?

A 5D wormhole is more efficient because it allows for the bending of space-time in an additional dimension, making the distance between two points shorter and reducing travel time.

2. Can a 5D wormhole be created artificially?

At this time, there is no known technology that can create a 5D wormhole artificially. It is a hypothetical concept that is still being studied and researched by scientists.

3. Are there any potential dangers associated with using a 5D wormhole?

There are several potential dangers associated with using a 5D wormhole, such as the risk of being trapped inside the wormhole, encountering high levels of radiation, or ending up in an unknown location in space.

4. How would a 5D wormhole affect the laws of physics?

A 5D wormhole would challenge our current understanding of the laws of physics, as it would require the bending of space-time in an additional dimension. It would also raise questions about causality and the possibility of time travel.

5. Is it possible to travel through a 5D wormhole without experiencing any negative effects?

At this time, it is not possible to accurately predict the effects of traveling through a 5D wormhole, as it is a theoretical concept. However, it is likely that advanced technology and protective measures would need to be in place to minimize any potential negative effects on the traveler.