Can 5 Minutes of Your Time Aid a Science Fair Project?

In summary, Matthew Rongey is asking for participants to go to his website and watch a 2-1/2 minute video for his science fair project. After participating, he asks that no one discusses the purpose or content of the experiment until after he has collected all the data. Despite initial skepticism, it is deemed a valid experiment. The website is also a good source of science information. The experiment will continue for another month and results will be posted on the website and the creator's blog and forum. The caution is given to not discuss the experiment openly to avoid invalidating the results. Some early results are already available on the website.
mrongey
Could you please go to http://SciProj.yes2.us" and participate in an experiment for my science fair project? Once at the website, you will click on a link to watch a 2-1/2 minute video. Then your browser will redirect you to a page with some questions for you to answer.
After you participate, please do not post on this topic about the purpose or content of my experiment, as it will invalidate the results.
Thank you!
Matthew Rongey

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This seems like a valid experiment. I was a bit skeptical at first, I don't like clicking on links from someone with 0 posts to their name but I don't see anything fishy going on.

Thank you for participating!

I just found this website when I was searching on google for science information, thought it had a lot of good information, and happened to think it might be a good place to promote my project. This seems to be a very extensive forum and I will definitely be a frequenter.

Interesting experiment, mrongey. Be sure to stop by when you're done and let us know how it went.

I'll echo the OP: Please do not discuss any details about his experiment here until after he's done collecting data. He has a forum on his website if you have any questions after you've watched the video.

I won't be done collecting data for another month, but I will post results here and on my own blog and forum.

btw, why does it still say I have 0 posts?

Posts in the General Discussion forum don't count toward your post count. As soon as you post elsewhere, though, you'll begin accumulating some numbers.

I see. Thank you.

I also agree it's interesting. And knowing the habits of our membership will also echo the caution to not discuss the contents openly so it doesn't invalidate the study (if anyone does learn of the contents prior to participating, please refrain from participating).

mrongey, I'm going to PM you with something I noticed about the design that you should consider.

Very cool, kinda excited to see the final result

If any of you don't know, there are some early results on the website.

Thanks for pointing this out! I now have had more than double the number of participants since I made up that report, I just haven't had time to tabulate the data yet. I'll try to get to it this evening.

Related to Can 5 Minutes of Your Time Aid a Science Fair Project?

What is a science fair project?

A science fair project is a hands-on experiment or investigation that is conducted by students to explore a scientific question or concept. It typically involves following the scientific method and presenting the findings in a display or presentation.

How do I choose a topic for my science fair project?

Choosing a topic for your science fair project can be challenging. Start by brainstorming ideas based on your interests or things you have always been curious about. Consider the resources and time you have available, and choose a topic that is feasible for you to complete within the given time frame.

What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to problem-solving and investigating the natural world. It involves making observations, asking questions, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on evidence. It is a fundamental process in science and is used to ensure that experiments are conducted in an organized and objective manner.

What are some tips for creating a successful science fair project?

To create a successful science fair project, it is important to choose a topic that you are genuinely interested in and to follow the scientific method. Make sure to plan and organize your project well, keep careful records of your experiments and results, and present your findings in a clear and visually appealing way. It is also helpful to seek guidance from teachers, mentors, or other experts in the field.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when conducting a science fair project?

Some common mistakes to avoid when conducting a science fair project include not following the scientific method, not properly documenting your experiments and results, and not giving yourself enough time to complete the project. It is also important to avoid using unreliable sources of information and to make sure that your experiments are safe and ethical.