Cambridge Physics Problems: Electrostatics

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving the use of the Superimposition principle and the binomial expansion to calculate electric fields and potentials due to a dipole. The difficulty of the question is discussed, and the conversation also touches on different education systems and ways of approaching the problem.
johnconnor
20120703_161147.jpg

Before I go about trying to futilly solve the question, is this thing beyond a CIE A-Lv physics student's reach or not? Any comments on the difficulty of the question, and perhaps the reading material which you would recommend before I attempt the question?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi johnconnor :smile:

I don't exactly know what level CIE A-Lv is, but I am a grade 12 student, and the problem looks quite simple to me. What about it do you not understand? The first part, for example, simply relates to the Superimposition principle

Infinitum said:
Hi johnconnor :smile:

I don't exactly know what level CIE A-Lv is, but I am a grade 12 student, and the problem looks quite simple to me. What about it do you not understand? The first part, for example, simply relates to the Superimposition principle

Well yeah I can kind of explain the first part too - albeit in a un-professional way. But for the remaining parts, I was like WTH coz I've never dealt with electrostatic questions of this length.

The guide says:
This is a piece of physics that used to be a standard part of any electromagnetism course because magnetism was taught from the starting point of a short bar magnet with a N-pole at one end and S-pole at the other (...) If the distance from P to Q is written r(1 - a/r), the binomial expansion may be used where necessary, and this will simplify the algebra when adding the effect of -Q. Note that, because electric fields are vectors whereas potentials are scalars, each of the these quantities must be added accordingly (the point of the first part of the question).

One thing about CIE Physics is that it deals with rather narrow topics and emphasises with greater analysis on the questions, which is why I have touched very little on electrostatics.

Is grade 12 year 12 in UK? Which education system do you follow actually?

johnconnor said:
This is a piece of physics that used to be a standard part of any electromagnetism course because magnetism was taught from the starting point of a short bar magnet with a N-pole at one end and S-pole at the other (...) If the distance from P to Q is written r(1 - a/r), the binomial expansion may be used where necessary, and this will simplify the algebra when adding the effect of -Q. Note that, because electric fields are vectors whereas potentials are scalars, each of the these quantities must be added accordingly (the point of the first part of the question).

That's a bit confusing to explain this specific problem, and I don't see any real need to look at it the bar magnet way...

I would look at it as a dipole. What is the electric field due to a dipole along its axis?

Infinitum said:
I would look at it as a dipole. What is the electric field due to a dipole along its axis?
Actually I'm still quite stuck at parts (a) and (b). I haven't gone through the HCl part.

johnconnor said:
Is grade 12 year 12 in UK? Which education system do you follow actually?
What about this, Infinitum? =)

johnconnor said:
Actually I'm still quite stuck at parts (a) and (b). I haven't gone through the HCl part.

Well, that part also relates a dipole...A dipole has two charges of equal and opposite magnitude placed at a certain distance. :wink:

What about this, Infinitum? =)

I think yes, grade 12 is year 12 in UK.

Related to Cambridge Physics Problems: Electrostatics

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest, and the forces and fields associated with these charges.

2. What is the difference between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a measure of the work required to move a unit positive charge from one point to another in an electric field, while electric field is a measure of the force per unit charge acting on a test charge at a given point.

3. How do you calculate the electric field due to a point charge?

The electric field due to a point charge can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

4. What is Gauss's Law and how is it used in electrostatics?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electrostatics that relates the electric field to the distribution of electric charges. It states that the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. This law is useful in calculating electric fields in symmetrical charge distributions.

5. What is the difference between conductors and insulators in electrostatics?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to move freely, whereas insulators are materials that do not allow electric charges to move easily. In electrostatics, conductors are used to shield electric fields and insulators are used to prevent charges from escaping or entering a system.