Cambridge Part III: American Math Undergrad Seeking Advice

In summary: I don't know anyone who got it.In summary, the conversation revolves around an American math undergrad who has been accepted to the Cambridge Part III course and is uncertain about their abilities. They are curious about the academic background and mathematical ability needed to do well in the course, as well as the availability of scholarships. Others in the conversation offer reassurance that the student's acceptance indicates a good chance of success and share their experiences with the course. There may be some scholarships available, but they are difficult to obtain.
rbc
Hi everyone,

I'm an American math undergrad, hoping to eventually become a professor. I was accepted to the Cambridge Part III course, and it looks like it would be fun in terms of the wide selection of classes and meeting other math students.

However, I'm a little uncertain of my abilities. I know that as an American student, our college education has more "general education" and is less focused on purely math. I go to a small university, so I don't really know how I measure up compared to other American students, much less other students from around the world.

Does acceptance to the course indicate a good chance of passing or is it actually fairly easy to get in? Are there other mathematicians out there who went to college in the US and could tell me what kind of a background and mathematical ability are needed to do well in the course?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know physics ugrads who take it so I wouldn't worry too much about your level of knowledge - but expect to work hard.

Good luck

rbc said:
Hi everyone,

I'm an American math undergrad, hoping to eventually become a professor.
Good luck with that.
:biggrin:

rbc said:
Hi everyone,

I'm an American math undergrad, hoping to eventually become a professor. I was accepted to the Cambridge Part III course, and it looks like it would be fun in terms of the wide selection of classes and meeting other math students.

However, I'm a little uncertain of my abilities. I know that as an American student, our college education has more "general education" and is less focused on purely math. I go to a small university, so I don't really know how I measure up compared to other American students, much less other students from around the world.

Does acceptance to the course indicate a good chance of passing or is it actually fairly easy to get in? Are there other mathematicians out there who went to college in the US and could tell me what kind of a background and mathematical ability are needed to do well in the course?

Thanks.

congratulations! I am also an applicant, but my status is still "paper with department".
If you don't mind, can you tell me a little about your academic background? I want to see if I am qualified as you are.
BTW, there is a good thread about Part iii, maybe you want to read it:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=29512

Stan Marsh said:
If you don't mind, can you tell me a little about your academic background?
Seconded. I would also like to know more about the student's background that Cambridge is looking for.

Concerning the OP, I know some people who have gone there (unfortunately none from the US). But I cannot really tell what will the level be like for you. I know of some people who have gone to cambridge as undergraduates and did well on Part III by studying as hard as they did on their undergrad. Also, note that Part III is the fourth year of university, so if you have finished a 4-year bachelor in the US you will have one year of advantage.
I would say you will be fine if they accepted you, I doubt it is easy to get accepted there, it is one of the best known Mathematics courses in Europe. (And I would personally take the chance and study there with the vast array of courses they offer in Part III.)

May I ask you about scholarships? Do they offer a lot of scholarships/fellowships for Part III students?

Redsummers said:
Seconded. I would also like to know more about the student's background that Cambridge is looking for.

Concerning the OP, I know some people who have gone there (unfortunately none from the US). But I cannot really tell what will the level be like for you. I know of some people who have gone to cambridge as undergraduates and did well on Part III by studying as hard as they did on their undergrad. Also, note that Part III is the fourth year of university, so if you have finished a 4-year bachelor in the US you will have one year of advantage.
I would say you will be fine if they accepted you, I doubt it is easy to get accepted there, it is one of the best known Mathematics courses in Europe. (And I would personally take the chance and study there with the vast array of courses they offer in Part III.)

May I ask you about scholarships? Do they offer a lot of scholarships/fellowships for Part III students?

It seems you have to apply for the scholarships separately. I have heard that most part iii students have to pay the money from their own pockets. The scholarships are hard to get

Related to Cambridge Part III: American Math Undergrad Seeking Advice

1. What is Cambridge Part III?

Cambridge Part III is a one-year master's program in mathematics offered by the University of Cambridge. It is designed for students who have completed their undergraduate degree in mathematics and wish to further their studies in a specific area of mathematics.

2. How competitive is the application process for Cambridge Part III?

The application process for Cambridge Part III is highly competitive, as it is considered one of the most prestigious mathematics programs in the world. The program typically receives a large number of applications from highly qualified candidates, so it is important to have a strong academic background and a well-written personal statement.

3. What are the requirements for admission into Cambridge Part III?

Applicants must have completed a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a closely related field, with a strong background in pure mathematics. They must also have a strong academic record and submit letters of recommendation and a personal statement as part of the application process. Some prior research experience or publications may also be beneficial.

4. Can international students apply for Cambridge Part III?

Yes, international students are welcome to apply for Cambridge Part III. However, they may be required to provide additional documentation, such as proof of English proficiency, and may also need to satisfy any visa requirements. It is recommended to check with the university for specific requirements for international students.

5. What kind of career opportunities does Cambridge Part III prepare students for?

Cambridge Part III is highly regarded by employers and can open up a wide range of career opportunities in academia, industry, and government. Many graduates go on to pursue PhD programs in mathematics or related fields, while others enter into research or teaching positions in universities, or work in industries such as finance, technology, and data analysis.