Calif woman gets 6 years for fatal texting crash

In summary, the woman was sentenced to 6 years for paying bills with her cell phone while driving and hitting and killing an elderly man. She initially had been charged with criminally negligent homicide, drunk driving, and leaving the scene of an accident, but plead guilty to second degree vehicular manslaughter in exchange for a shorter sentence. When people get probation in cases like these, it usually means that they will not have to serve jail time.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I can't believe that she was only sentenced to 6 years, she can probably get released in 2 with good behaviour.

Just incredible that people can be this stupid. Paying bills while driving?

Shasta County prosecutor Stephanie Bridgett said the 49-year-old woman had paid several bills by cell phone in the moments before the crash.

She was in the middle of one of those transactions when she struck a vehicle that burst into flames, killing 46-year-old Petra Winn.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090404/ap_on_re_us/text_crash

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hope that she is basically decent woman so that the awful tragedy that occurred as a result of her thoughtless misconduct will haunt her forever.

That would be a suitable punishment for her.

She seems to be willing to appeal, so maybe she will ask for a longer punishment.

Her attorney will appeal the sentence.

If someone killed one of my family, I too would want them to have a short sentence. I'd hate waiting around before I can get my hands on them.

I see useless sentences like this in the papers at work all the time (I work in media coverage, have thousands of papers). For example:

From the Sept 3 edition Howard Beach News, New York
Woman Sentenced to Six Months for Fatal Accident
Killed Elderly Man While Driving Drunk on Metro Ave

Toro, 30, pled guilty in June to second degree vehicular manslaughter in exchange for a sentence that included a six-month jail term and five years probation. She initially had been charged with criminally negligent homicide, drunk driving, and leaving the scene of an accident.

Sorry to go offtopic, but the vehicle actually caught flames. I thought that only happens in movies.

When people get probation in cases like these... what does that actually mean? I can't imagine what the causes or consequences would be unlike with say, a drug dealer on probation going back to jail if he's caught doing drugs or meeting other criminals or whatever. I'm sure its not "If you're caught texting again, its back to jail for you!"...

Are there any laws in California regarding cell phone use while driving?

mbisCool said:
Is it illegal in California to use your phone without a headset while driving?

Yes, it has been for a couple years now.

misgfool said:
Sorry to go offtopic, but the vehicle actually caught flames. I thought that only happens in movies.

They don't explode the way you see in movies, but they certainly can catch on fire. Once the fuel catches, it can be quite devastating.
I don't know about elsewhere, including the rest of Canada, but using a cell phone or similar device while driving is illegal in Alberta (or pending legislation; I'm not sure which). It's considered 'impaired driving' with the same consequences as if you were drunk. Doesn't stop people from doing it, though.

Talking on a cell phone is less distracting than driving with small children in a car, applying makeup, reading a map, or eating.

But the concentration required to pay bills online with all of the digits you need to input, that's insane.

Danger said:
They don't explode the way you see in movies, but they certainly can catch on fire. Once the fuel catches, it can be quite devastating.
I don't know about elsewhere, including the rest of Canada, but using a cell phone or similar device while driving is illegal in Alberta (or pending legislation; I'm not sure which). It's considered 'impaired driving' with the same consequences as if you were drunk. Doesn't stop people from doing it, though.

Wasn't there a Ford model or something back in the 60's that would easily be ignited if it experienced a collision in the rear?

arildno said:
Wasn't there a Ford model or something back in the 60's that would easily be ignited if it experienced a collision in the rear?

It was actually in the late 70's. Pinto. A buddy of mine commented about the US commitment to the first wave of M1 Abrams main battle tanks: "Why don't they just put guns on Pintos and back into the Russians?"

Trains in their early days ran the same risk of catching on fire

It's ridiculous that someone would actually be paying the bills while driving. It's sad to see how poor some people's driving habits have become. Today on the highway I was nearly run off the road by a woman applying makeup. Nothing against female drivers of course

misgfool said:
I thought the same thing when I drove by a VW bus on the side of the freeway that was engulfed in flames. Maybe its a California thing, since we're so close to Hollywood and all. ;-)

Pengwuino said:
When people get probation in cases like these... what does that actually mean? I can't imagine what the causes or consequences would be unlike with say, a drug dealer on probation going back to jail if he's caught doing drugs or meeting other criminals or whatever. I'm sure its not "If you're caught texting again, its back to jail for you!"...
Its more or less the same thing regardless of what you are convicted of. If you are caught doing anything illegal you could potentialy go back to jail. Depending on the crime there may also be certain conditions (or maybe that's just parole?) such as staying away from known drug users/dealers if convicted on drug charges or known gang members if convicted of a gang related offense. A particularly clever judge might give her the condition that she must cancel her cell service or just the texting and data service options. It would seem likely though that she just pleaded her case out with the DA for a reduced sentence.

mbisCool said:
Are there any laws in California regarding cell phone use while driving?
Talking on a cell without a headset while driving was illegalized two or three years ago. Texting while driving was illegalized about a year or so ago. And that was amended to include texting while the car is on the street but not in motion just recently.

Although the statistics are difficult to gather, it seems that driving fatigued is as dangerous than driving drunk.

Prescription drugs can get an unsuspecting driver a DUI.

Fatality rates for drivers begin to climb after age 65, according to a recent study by Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh and the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, based on data from 1999-2004 . . . For drivers 85 and older, the fatality rate skyrockets to nearly four times higher than that for teens.

Loren Booda said:
Although the statistics are difficult to gather, it seems that driving fatigued is as dangerous than driving drunk.

Technically this is legally covered by reckless driving. But recklessness must be proved. In the case of DUI laws and cellphone laws they are meant as a preventative measure instead of a means of prosecuting those actually guilty of reckless driving. A preventative law against driving while fatigued would be incredibly difficult to enforce.

Why don't they design some type of frequency resonator that has to be legally installed on every operating vehicle, and it would make your cell phone useless preventing calls to be made/received unless you step out... Would this be possible? Kind of like the same device you got to blow into to detect alcohol.

Might be a bad idea though, if you got stuck inside your car in an emergency, or zombies are trying to break into your window :eek: But there's got to be some type of way to install some detectors so it would automatically dial 911 regardless of the situation (actually this already exists, doesn't it? I saw it on a commercial - with the super slo-mo cell phone).

I wonder if it's feasible idea... impractical?

TheStatutoryApe said:
A preventative law against driving while fatigued would be incredibly difficult to enforce.

Yeah, we're not robots. We're bound to have some insomniac nights. Maybe when them magic pills get released for these occasional moments. Caffeine's too weak, and if you take too much you'll piss outta your *** throughout the day, and other drugs are too "heavy" just for the sake of getting to work/back home safely.

Evo said:
Talking on a cell phone is less distracting than driving with small children in a car, applying makeup, reading a map, or eating.

But the concentration required to pay bills online with all of the digits you need to input, that's insane.

Talking on the phone is highly visusal for me. I hardly see a thing in front of me. I couldn't possibly drive.

Danger said:
It was actually in the late 70's. Pinto. A buddy of mine commented about the US commitment to the first wave of M1 Abrams main battle tanks: "Why don't they just put guns on Pintos and back into the Russians?"
:smile:

Phrak said:
Talking on the phone is highly visusal for me. I hardly see a thing in front of me. I couldn't possibly drive.
When I'm talking much or thinking hard when driving, my brain switches into some kind of autopilot mode where my hands and eyes drive, but my brain stops processing the driving. I can snap back to the present after a few minutes and not remember the last couple of minutes of driving.

russ_watters said:
When I'm talking much or thinking hard when driving, my brain switches into some kind of autopilot mode where my hands and eyes drive, but my brain stops processing the driving. I can snap back to the present after a few minutes and not remember the last couple of minutes of driving.

That's pretty much me the whole time.

Loren Booda said:

Prescription drugs can get an unsuspecting driver a DUI.

Fatality rates for drivers begin to climb after age 65, according to a recent study by Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh and the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, based on data from 1999-2004 . . . For drivers 85 and older, the fatality rate skyrockets to nearly four times higher than that for teens.

People 85 years old and older should be given legal access to any drug they desire - in return for turning in their driver's license.

There's at least a little truth in that "Little Miss Sunshine" quote:

Sheryl: [to Frank] He started snorting heroin.
Frank: [to Grandpa] You started snorting heroin?
Grandpa: [in response to Frank, aimed at Dwayne] Let me tell ya, don't do that stuff. When you're young, you're crazy to do that ****.
Frank: [to Grandpa] Well what about you?
Grandpa: [to Frank] What about me? I'm old. When you're old you're crazy not to do it.

Evo said:

There was a study reported a couple months ago that concluded talking on the cell phone was actually more distracting to driving than talking to a passenger in the car. The explanation offered is that a passenger in the car with you can clue into road conditions and pause the conversation when you need to pay attention to the road...or can add a set of eyes to the road ("Look out!")...while someone on the phone is unaware of the road situation, so doesn't adjust the conversation to assist the driver focus on the road when needed.

But, paying bills? Was she texting and reading off statements while driving, in addition to just using the phone? What is wrong with people?

Moonbear said:
But, paying bills? Was she texting and reading off statements while driving, in addition to just using the phone? What is wrong with people?
As I understand it, the driver was completing a transaction, which presumably means she was reading or otherwise focused on her cell or pda. But yes, when one is driving, one is supposed focus attention on the road/traffic.

This woman is guilty of reckless endangerment, callous disregard to the safety of those around her, and negligent homicide. Since she consciously chose to act this way, it's essentially premedidated murder in the sense they she chose to endanger the lives of others. If she didn't realize that, then she had no business operating a motor vehicle.

Cell Phone Use as Dangerous as Drunken Driving
Drivers who talk on either handheld or hands-free cellular phones are as impaired as drunken drivers, according to experimental research conducted by Drs. Frank Drews, David Strayer, and Dennis L. Crouch of the University of Utah...
http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Drivingissues/20060830105036.html

Related to Calif woman gets 6 years for fatal texting crash

1. What happened in the fatal texting crash?

In the fatal texting crash, a California woman was driving and texting on her phone when she ran a red light and crashed into another vehicle, resulting in the death of the other driver.

2. What was the outcome of the case?

The woman was sentenced to 6 years in prison for her actions in the fatal texting crash.

3. How common are texting and driving accidents?

Texting and driving accidents are unfortunately very common, with an estimated 1.6 million crashes each year in the United States alone.

4. What are the consequences of distracted driving?

Distracted driving, including texting while driving, can have serious consequences such as accidents, injuries, and even death. It is also against the law in many states and can result in fines and criminal charges.

5. What can be done to prevent texting and driving accidents?

To prevent texting and driving accidents, individuals can make a conscious effort to put their phones away while driving and use hands-free devices if necessary. Laws and enforcement against distracted driving can also help reduce the number of accidents.

Back