Calculus - Taylor Expansion, maybe. Not sure how to simplify.

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem in physics where the goal is to derive an equation for temperature within a planet as a function of depth. The question involves a thin spherical shell with inner and outer boundaries and the heat flux at each boundary, as well as energy produced by radioactivity. The conversation discusses using a general property of differentiable functions to simplify the equation, and eventually leads to a final equation for temperature that is derived through various steps and taking the limit as certain variables approach 0.
Tsunoyukami
I am attempting to complete a problem for a problem set and am having difficulty simplifying an expression; any help would be greatly appreciated!

The question is a physics question which attempts to derive an equation for the temperature within a planet as a function of depth assuming spherical co-ordinates. "Conside a thin spherical shell whose inner boundary has radius r and outer boundary had radius r + ∂r. The heat flux into the shell from the inner boundary is q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r) and the heat flux out of the shell at the top boundary is q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r + ∂r). The energy produced by radioactivity in the shell is [itex]\rho\rho[/itex]HV where V is the volume of the spherical shell, H is the heat generation rate per unit mass and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density."

To determine the volume of the shell V I have used:

V = V(r + ∂r) - V(r)

Using the fact that ∂r [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0 I have found:

V = 4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex]∂r + 4[itex]\pi[/itex]r ∂r[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Is this a reasonable time to use the fact that ∂r [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0? Is the second term in my expression for V negligible?

The primary question I have is whether or not there is a way to simplify q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r + ∂r); I feel like there is - and I feel like it might have to do with a Taylor expansion, but I haven't been able to figure it out - all the links I find when I do a google search are either too simple or too complex. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(After I do this I have to write an expression that says the sum of the heat going in, the heat leaving and the heat produced inside the shell equals 0 [by assuming in is either positive or negative and out is the opposite sign of in).

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I will use the notation ##\Delta V = V(r+\Delta r)-V(r)= 4\pi r^2\Delta r + 4\pi r (\Delta r)^2##. This is a consequence of a general property of differentiable functions. If ##f(x)## is differentiable at ##x##, then$$
f'(x)-\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}\rightarrow 0\hbox{ if }h\rightarrow 0$$so we might use the notation$$f'(x)-\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}=o(h)$$where ##o(h)## represents a term that goes to 0 as h does. $$hf'(x) -(f(x+h)-f(x)) = ho(h)$$ $$
\Delta f = hf'(x) -ho(h)$$That last term is h times a term that goes to zero with h, so is a higher order zero than ##hf'(x)##. That is why for ##h## small the second term is neglected and you say approximately ##\Delta f = hf'(x)##. Your example is a special case where the variable is ##r## instead of ##x## and $$
f(r)=\frac 4 3 \pi r^3$$the volume of a sphere.

Thank you very much!

As to my second question - is there any way to write q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r + ∂r) another way so that I can simplify my equation when I do an energy balance? That is, what does q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r + ∂r) equal mathematically? (I don't need any kind of really deep proof, just some kind of evidence so I can understand how you get to what it equals).

Alright, so I've made some progress.

Using the following:
E[itex]_{in}[/itex] = q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r) x A(r) = q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r) x 4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex]
E[itex]_{out}[/itex] = q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) x A(r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) = q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) x 4[itex]\pi[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r)[itex]^{2}[/itex]
E[itex]_{produced}[/itex] = [itex]\rho[/itex]HV = [itex]\rho[/itex]H4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]r

I have written the following equation:

E[itex]_{in}[/itex] - E[itex]_{out}[/itex] + E[itex]_{produced}[/itex] = mC[itex]\Delta[/itex]T = [itex]\rho[/itex]VC[itex]\Delta[/itex]T = [itex]\rho[/itex]4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]r C[itex]\Delta[/itex]T (this follows from discussion in class; its part of thermal physics).

I can write out the formula (it kinda sucks):

E[itex]_{in}[/itex] - E[itex]_{out}[/itex] + E[itex]_{produced}[/itex] = 4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r) - 4[itex]\pi[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r)[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) + 4[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex]Hr[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]r = [itex]\rho[/itex]4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]rC[itex]\frac{(T(t + \delta t) - T(t))}{\delta t}[/itex]

4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r) - 4[itex]\pi[/itex](r[itex]^{2}[/itex] + 2r[itex]\delta[/itex]r + ([itex]\delta[/itex]r)[itex]^{2}[/itex])q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) + 4[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex]Hr[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]r = [itex]\rho[/itex]4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]rC[itex]\frac{(T(t + \delta t) - T(t))}{\delta t}[/itex]

4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r) - (4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) + 8[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]\delta[/itex]rq[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) + 4[itex]\pi[/itex]([itex]\delta[/itex]r)[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r)) + 4[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex]Hr[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]r = [itex]\rho[/itex]4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]rC[itex]\frac{(T(t + \delta t) - T(t))}{\delta t}[/itex]4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r) - 4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) - 8[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]\delta[/itex]rq[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) - 4[itex]\pi[/itex]([itex]\delta[/itex]r)[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) + 4[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex]Hr[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]r = [itex]\rho[/itex]4[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]rC[itex]\frac{(T(t + \delta t) - T(t))}{\delta t}[/itex]

r[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r) - r[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) - 2r[itex]\delta[/itex]rq[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) - ([itex]\delta[/itex]r)[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) + [itex]\rho[/itex]Hr[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]r = [itex]\rho[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]rC[itex]\frac{(T(t + \delta t) - T(t))}{\delta t}[/itex]

- (r[itex]^{2}[/itex](q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) -q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r)) + 2r[itex]\delta[/itex]rq[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r) + ([itex]\delta[/itex]r)[itex]^{2}[/itex]q[itex]_{r}[/itex](r +[itex]\delta[/itex]r)) + [itex]\rho[/itex]Hr[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]r = [itex]\rho[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]rC[itex]\frac{(T(t + \delta t) - T(t))}{\delta t}[/itex]

So far I have expanded a perfect square, divided through by 4[itex]\pi[/itex] and factored to simplify somewhat. (My solution on paper looks a bit nicer, but I'm not very good at coding this so that it looks proper so I apologize if it looks really messy). Next, I divide through by what is left of the volume term, r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]r. It's hard for me to get fractions to appear nicely on here, so I'm going to skip a step (the step in which I would show everything in both the numerator and denominator) and then just show you what I'm left with:

[itex] -(\frac{r^{2}(q_{r}(r + \delta r) -q_{r}(r)}{r^{2} \delta r} + \frac{2r\delta rq_{r}(r + \delta r)}{r^{2} \delta r} + \frac{(\delta r)^{2}q_{r}(r +\delta r)}{r^{2} \delta r}) + \frac{\rho Hr^{2}\delta r}{r^{2} \delta r} = \frac {\rho r^{2}\delta rC \frac{(T(t + \delta t) - T(t))}{\delta t}}{r^{2} \delta r}[/itex]

[itex] -(\frac{(q_{r}(r + \delta r) -q_{r}(r)}{\delta r} + \frac{2q_{r}(r + \delta r)}{r} + \frac{\delta rq_{r}(r +\delta r)}{r^{2}}) + \rho H = \rho C \frac{(T(t + \delta t) - T(t))}{\delta t}[/itex]

Next we take the limit as [itex]\delta r[/itex] and [itex]\delta t[/itex] approach 0 - then I get the right answer (as I was typing this I found I had missed a 2 going from one step to the next which was throwing me off, but I was so close to finishing typing this up that I decided I might as well continue). Anyways, disregard my previous questions; if you find anything wrong with this please let me know!

Related to Calculus - Taylor Expansion, maybe. Not sure how to simplify.

What is a Taylor Expansion in Calculus?

A Taylor Expansion, also known as a Taylor series, is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate the value of a function at a certain point by using its derivatives at that point.

Why is Taylor Expansion important in Calculus?

Taylor Expansion is important in Calculus because it allows us to approximate a function at a certain point without having to calculate the function itself. This is especially useful for complex functions that are difficult to evaluate directly.

How is a Taylor Expansion calculated?

A Taylor Expansion is calculated by using the function's derivatives at a specific point. The derivatives are then used to find the coefficients of the terms in the series. The more terms that are included in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.

What is the difference between a Taylor Expansion and a Maclaurin Expansion?

A Maclaurin Expansion is a special case of a Taylor Expansion where the expansion is centered around x = 0. This means that all the derivatives used in the series are evaluated at x = 0. In other words, a Maclaurin Expansion is a Taylor Expansion with a specific point of expansion.

What is the practical application of Taylor Expansion?

Taylor Expansion has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to approximate functions in real-world situations, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile or estimating the growth of a population over time.