[calculus] question about identify boundary curve between two surface

In summary, when given two equations describing surfaces in R3, the intersection of the two will be a curve that can be described by solving both equations. However, whether f3, obtained from solving f1 and f2, is enough to fully describe the intersection curve depends on the complexity of the surfaces. In some cases, f3 alone may be sufficient, but in others, it may be necessary to include one of the original equations as well. The method used to solve for the intersection curve will also vary depending on the specific equations given.
kougou

Homework Statement

I have two questions.
1) generally speaking, when we are given two equations both describing surface in R3:
f1(x,y,z)=k
and f2(x,y,z)=C,

The intersection of the two will be a curve that's by solving both equations. My question is, by solving f1 and f2 to get anther equation say f3, does f3 iteself enough to describe the intersection curve, OR do we need f3 AND one of f1 or f2 to describe the intersection? I am not talking about very complicated or special case situation.

I ask this question because we need it for computing surface integral or line integral using stroke's theorem. The first step of identifying the boundary is critical

Physics news on Phys.org
kougou said:

Homework Statement

I have two questions.
1) generally speaking, when we are given two equations both describing surface in R3:
f1(x,y,z)=k
and f2(x,y,z)=C,

The intersection of the two will be a curve that's by solving both equations. My question is, by solving f1 and f2 to get anther equation say f3, does f3 itself enough to describe the intersection curve, OR do we need f3 AND one of f1 or f2 to describe the intersection? I am not talking about very complicated or special case situation.

I ask this question because we need it for computing surface integral or line integral using stroke's theorem. The first step of identifying the boundary is critical

That's a very general question and I don't think there is a single answer to it. I don't know what you mean by "solving ##f_1## and ##f_2## to get ##f_3##". This type of problem often requires an appropriate parameterization or perhaps a piecewise description of the boundary. What method to use depends a lot on what particular equations you have, and you usually start with a good picture. Here's an example. Say your surfaces are the slanted plane ##x+y+z=4## and the cylinder ##x^2+y^2 = 1##. You would normally parameterize the cylinder in cylindrical coordinates ##\vec R(\theta,z) = \langle \cos\theta,\sin\theta,z\rangle##. Here ##\theta## takes you around and ##z## locates you vertically. If you want ##z## to be on the plane you could solve it for ##z##: ##z=4-x-y##, which, in terms of ##\theta## is ##z=4-\cos\theta-\sin\theta##. Putting that together gives the intersection curve in terms of ##\theta##:$$
\vec C(t) = \langle \cos\theta,\sin\theta,4-\cos\theta-\sin\theta\rangle$$where ##0\le\theta\le 2\pi##. Different surfaces might require an entirely different approach.

LCKurtz said:
That's a very general question and I don't think there is a single answer to it. I don't know what you mean by "solving ##f_1## and ##f_2## to get ##f_3##". This type of problem often requires an appropriate parameterization or perhaps a piecewise description of the boundary. What method to use depends a lot on what particular equations you have, and you usually start with a good picture. Here's an example. Say your surfaces are the slanted plane ##x+y+z=4## and the cylinder ##x^2+y^2 = 1##. You would normally parameterize the cylinder in cylindrical coordinates ##\vec R(\theta,z) = \langle \cos\theta,\sin\theta,z\rangle##. Here ##\theta## takes you around and ##z## locates you vertically. If you want ##z## to be on the plane you could solve it for ##z##: ##z=4-x-y##, which, in terms of ##\theta## is ##z=4-\cos\theta-\sin\theta##. Putting that together gives the intersection curve in terms of ##\theta##:$$
\vec C(t) = \langle \cos\theta,\sin\theta,4-\cos\theta-\sin\theta\rangle$$where ##0\le\theta\le 2\pi##. Different surfaces might require an entirely different approach.

Thank you
"by solving f1 and f2, to get f3"
what I meant is to get another equation f3, from f1 and f2. And f3 describes the values of the intersection

I assume you mean solving both f1, f2 for the same variable , and setting the equations equal to each other. Since surfaces are 2-dimensional, you should find a representation in one variable after setting the equations equal to each other. Think of a very simple case: the XZ plane and the YZ planes, intersecting in a curve. But it can get more complicated if your surfaces have volume, as in the intersection of spheres.

Related to [calculus] question about identify boundary curve between two surface

What is the purpose of identifying the boundary curve between two surfaces in calculus?

The purpose of identifying the boundary curve between two surfaces in calculus is to determine the limit or the point where the two surfaces meet. This is important in understanding the behavior of functions and their derivatives at a specific point.

How do you identify the boundary curve between two surfaces in calculus?

To identify the boundary curve between two surfaces in calculus, you can first set up a system of equations with the two surfaces and use algebraic methods to solve for the points where they intersect. Another approach is to use parametric equations to represent the surfaces and find the point of intersection by setting the two equations equal to each other.

What is the significance of the boundary curve in terms of the behavior of functions?

The boundary curve is significant in that it helps determine the continuity and differentiability of a function at a specific point. It also helps in determining the critical points and inflection points of a function, which are important in graphing and analyzing its behavior.

Can the boundary curve between two surfaces be a straight line?

Yes, the boundary curve between two surfaces can be a straight line if the two surfaces are parallel or if the two equations representing the surfaces are linear. In this case, the two equations will have the same slope and the boundary curve will be a straight line.

Are there any real-world applications of identifying the boundary curve between two surfaces in calculus?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of identifying the boundary curve between two surfaces in calculus. For example, in engineering, it is important to understand the boundary curve between two different materials to ensure proper joint construction. In physics, it is used to determine the path of a projectile and in economics, it is used to optimize profit or cost functions.