Calculus Problem Solving Question

In summary, calculus problem solving involves using math concepts to solve complex problems related to rates of change and optimization. Differential calculus deals with instantaneous rate of change, while integral calculus focuses on total change. Calculus is used in various fields and common techniques include finding derivatives and integrals. To improve calculus problem solving skills, practice, review concepts, seek help, and work through problems step by step.
danizh
Please help me solve this problem.

Find numbers a, b, and c so that the graph of f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c has x-intercepts at (0,0) and (8,0) and a tangent with slope 16 where x = 2.

I have done this so far:
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
f '(x) = (2)(a)(x) + b
16 = (2)(a)(2) + b
16 = 4a + b

I don't know where to go from here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I solved it. If anyone else needs the solution to this problem, let me know. :)

Related to Calculus Problem Solving Question

1. What is calculus problem solving?

Calculus problem solving is the process of using mathematical concepts and techniques to analyze and solve complex problems related to rates of change, optimization, and other related topics.

2. What is the difference between differential and integral calculus?

Differential calculus deals with the instantaneous rate of change of a function, while integral calculus focuses on determining the total change or accumulation of a function over a given interval.

3. How is calculus used in real life?

Calculus is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze real-world phenomena such as motion, growth, and optimization.

4. What are some common techniques used in calculus problem solving?

Some common techniques used in calculus problem solving include finding derivatives and integrals, using the chain rule and product rule, and applying optimization principles.

5. How can I improve my calculus problem solving skills?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you work on solving calculus problems, the more comfortable and proficient you will become. It is also helpful to review fundamental concepts, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and work through problems step by step.