Calculus problem involving implicit differentiation.

In summary, the equation given might not be correct, and implicit differentiation doesn't seem to be helping.
pc2-brazil
Good afternoon,

This is not actually a homework question; it's for self-study. I'm reading a Calculus book, and one of its exercises asks the following:
If xnym = (x+y)n+m, show that xDxy = y (where Dxy is the derivative of y with respect to x).

The only way I could think of to get the correct result is by implicit differentiation. I tried to do implicit differentiation of the given equation, but it got me nowhere:
[tex]D_x(x^ny^m)=D_x((x+y)^{n+m})[/tex]
Applying the product rule in the left side and the chain rule in the right side:
[tex]nx^{n-1}y^m+my^{m-1}x^nD_xy=(n+m)(x+y)^{n+m-1}(1+D_xy)[/tex]

I tried to do many manipulations, but I don't see any way to get the expected result.

Could the equation given be wrong? I tried to let n = 1 and m = 1 and see what happens:
x1y1 = (x+y)1+1
xy = (x+y)²
If I implicitly differentiate it, I get:
[tex]y + xD_xy = 2(x+y)(1+D_xy)[/tex],
which, after some manipulation, becomes:
[tex]D_xy = \frac{2x+y}{-x-2y}[/tex]
This result seems to suggest that the equation given is not correct. Or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pc2-brazil said:
Good afternoon,

This is not actually a homework question; it's for self-study. I'm reading a Calculus book, and one of its exercises asks the following:
If xnym = (x+y)n+m, show that xDxy = y (where Dxy is the derivative of y with respect to x).

The only way I could think of to get the correct result is by implicit differentiation. I tried to do implicit differentiation of the given equation, but it got me nowhere:
[tex]D_x(x^ny^m)=D_x((x+y)^{n+m})[/tex]
Applying the product rule in the left side and the chain rule in the right side:
[tex]nx^{n-1}y+my^{m-1}x=(n+m)(x+y)^{n+m-1}D_xy[/tex]
That last symbol should be [itex]D_x(x+ y)[/itex], not [itex]D_xy[/itex]. Also you have dropped the exponents on [itex]x^n[/itex] and [itex]y^m[/itex] where they were not differentiated. That is, you should have
[tex]nx^{n-1}y^m+ mx^ny^{m-1}D_xy= (n+m)(x+ y)^{n+ m- 1}(1+ D_xy)[tex]
Solve that for D_xy.

I tried to do many manipulations, but I don't see any way to get the expected result.

Could the equation given be wrong? I tried to let n = 1 and m = 1 and see what happens:
x1y1 = (x+y)1+1
xy = (x+y)²
This result seems to suggest that the equation given is not correct. Or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance.

I made these typing mistakes while writing the TeX expression.
When I solve for Dxy, I find:
[tex]D_xy = \frac{(n+m)(x+y)^{n+m-1}-nx^{n-1}y^m}{my^{m-1}x^n-(n+m)(x+y)^{n+m-1}}[/tex]
But I'm not very sure on how I should continue.
Thank you in advance.

Related to Calculus problem involving implicit differentiation.

What is implicit differentiation and when is it used?

Implicit differentiation is a method for finding the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of one variable. It is used when the function cannot be easily solved for one variable, such as in equations with multiple variables or variables on both sides of the equation.

How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is explicitly defined in terms of one variable, while implicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of one variable.

What are the steps for solving a calculus problem involving implicit differentiation?

The steps for solving an implicit differentiation problem are: 1) Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the variable of interest, 2) Use the chain rule if necessary, 3) Solve for the derivative, and 4) Simplify the expression if possible.

What are common mistakes made when using implicit differentiation?

Some common mistakes made when using implicit differentiation include forgetting to use the chain rule, not differentiating both sides of the equation, and making errors when solving for the derivative. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work for accuracy.

In what real-world scenarios is implicit differentiation useful?

Implicit differentiation is useful in many real-world scenarios, such as in physics and engineering problems involving multiple variables, in economics and finance to analyze relationships between variables, and in biology and chemistry to model changes in complex systems.