Calculus of Variations Euler-Lagrange Diff. Eq.

In summary, the text is attempting to communicate the idea that a function like F(y, dy/dx, x) depends upon dy/dx as well as x, and that in order to find a function that is stationary (defined as having I[y(x)] be a minimum or a maximum), one must consider a function where y(x) is replaced by y(x) + \xi(x), where \xi is sufficiently small.
avocadogirl
I'm in dire need of help in understanding calculus of variations. My professor uses the Mathews and Walker text, second edition, entitled Mathematical Methods of Physics and, he has a tendency to skip around from chapters found towards the beginning of the text to those nearer the end. I couldn't say if that was an intended property of this text but, anything beyond freshman level kinematics or electricity and magnetism is only offered on a two-year rotation at the college which I attend so, my exposure to potential prerequisites for the subject matter covered in the course is spotty, at best.

The text asks that I consider a function:

F(y, dy/dx, x) and the integral I = [tex]\int[/tex] F(y, dy/dx, x) dx, evaluated from a to b = I[y(x)]

Then, the text indicates that the objective would be to choose the function y(x) such that I[y(x)] is either a maximum or a minimum...("or (more generally) staionary.")

It continues:

"That is, we want to find a y(x) such that if we replace y(x) by y(x) + [tex]\xi[/tex](x), I is unchanged to order [tex]\xi[/tex], provided [tex]\xi[/tex] is sufficiently small.

In order to reduce this problem to the familiar one of making an ordinary function stationary, consider the replacement
y(x) y(x) + [tex]\alpha\eta[/tex](x)
where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is small and [tex]\eta[/tex](x) arbitrary. If I[y(x)] is to be stationary, then we must have
dI/d[tex]\alpha[/tex], evaluated at [tex]\alpha[/tex]=0, = 0
for all [tex]\eta[/tex](x)."

Could someone offer a "dumbed-down" explanation of what the text attempts to communicate?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that I truly understand what it means to have a function like:

F(y, dy/dx, x). This is a function dependent upon not only x and y but, upon dy/dx as well? If that's correct, what does that mean exactly? In what scenario would one see something like that? Honestly, I'm probably doing pretty well to truly understand the correlation between x and y when y is a function of x: y(x).

Thank you.

Hi avocadogirl! :smile:
avocadogirl said:
I'm not sure that I truly understand what it means to have a function like:

F(y, dy/dx, x). This is a function dependent upon not only x and y but, upon dy/dx as well? If that's correct, what does that mean exactly? In what scenario would one see something like that? Honestly, I'm probably doing pretty well to truly understand the correlation between x and y when y is a function of x: y(x).

For example, the energy of a body might be 1/2 mv2 + mgh + Be-kt

that's a function of dh/dt and h and t separately :wink:

(the point is that it's the way F is written that matters … once you solve the equation, you could presumably just write F = G(h,t) or even F = H(t) … but so long as it's still written F(dh/dt, h,t) it can be differentiated separately with respect to each of the three variables)

Thank you. That does make more sense, especially when thinking of the function in such a way where the components might be differentiable.

Could someone elaborate a little about the paragraph in the text, in its entirety?

Thank you, sincerely.

Related to Calculus of Variations Euler-Lagrange Diff. Eq.

What is the Calculus of Variations?

The Calculus of Variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimum value of a functional, which is a function that takes in other functions as inputs. It is used to solve optimization problems where the goal is to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity.

What is the Euler-Lagrange Differential Equation?

The Euler-Lagrange Differential Equation is a necessary condition for a function to be an extremum of a functional. It is derived from the Calculus of Variations and is used to find the function that minimizes or maximizes the functional.

What are the applications of the Calculus of Variations?

The Calculus of Variations has many applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It can be used to optimize the shape of objects, find the shortest path between two points, and solve problems related to energy and motion.

What are the basic steps for solving problems using the Calculus of Variations?

The basic steps for solving problems using the Calculus of Variations are:

• Formulate the problem as a functional, with the function to be optimized as the dependent variable.
  • Apply the Euler-Lagrange Differential Equation to find the extremum of the functional.
  • Use any boundary conditions or constraints to solve for the specific function that minimizes or maximizes the functional.

What are the limitations of the Calculus of Variations?

The Calculus of Variations can only be applied to continuous functions, and it may not always provide a unique solution to a problem. It also requires a good understanding of calculus and differential equations to apply effectively.