Calculus of variations applied to geodesics

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the noncovariant term in an equation given a geodesic from a family of geodesics and its tangent vector. The solution involves using variations and the chain rule, with the help of a fellow student providing further insight.
JakobM

Homework Statement

I'm working on a problem from my gravitation book. The question is the following:

Given \begin{equation} \frac{D}{Ds} T^\mu = 0 \end{equation}, where \begin{equation} T^\mu \left(s,a\right) = \frac{\partial z^\mu}{\partial s} \end{equation} is the tangent vector to a certain geodesic from a family of geodesics, indicated by parameter "a", at a distance s (coordinates are $$z^\mu$$ ). I now have to vary this equation with respect to a and point out the term in the resulting equation that is not covariant. I worked out a solution, but cannot find this noncovariant term.

Homework Equations

\begin{equation} \delta \left( \left( \frac{D}{Ds} T^\mu \right) \right)= 0 \end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

Variation:
\begin{equation} \delta \left( \frac{D}{Ds} T^\mu = 0 \right) \end{equation}
I tried the following:
\begin{equation} \frac{D}{Ds} T^\mu = T^\nu \nabla_\nu T^\mu =0 \end{equation}
and
\begin{equation} \delta \rightarrow \delta a \frac{\partial z^\lambda}{\partial a} \nabla_\lambda \end{equation}
I then get
\begin{equation} \delta a \frac{\partial z^\lambda}{\partial a} \left( \left( \nabla_\lambda T^\nu \right) \nabla_\nu T^\mu + T^\nu \nabla_\lambda \nabla_\nu T^\mu \right) =0 \end{equation}
All the terms between brackets seem however covariant. What is wrong in the derivation above? Should there be a partial derivative instead of a covariant derivative in the chain rule I used for the variation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I asked a fellow student yesteray and he was able to shed some light on the matter. So my question is pretty much answered :)

Related to Calculus of variations applied to geodesics

1. What is the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal solution to a mathematical problem, typically involving finding the path or function that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity. It is often used to model real-world problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is the calculus of variations applied to geodesics?

In the context of geodesics, the calculus of variations is used to find the shortest or longest path between two points on a curved surface, also known as the geodesic. This is done by minimizing or maximizing the length of the path, taking into account the curvature of the surface.

3. What are some practical applications of the calculus of variations applied to geodesics?

The calculus of variations applied to geodesics has many practical applications, including navigation systems for ships and airplanes, designing optimal flight paths for spacecraft, and determining the most efficient routes for transportation networks.

4. Can the calculus of variations be applied to any type of surface?

Yes, the calculus of variations can be applied to any type of surface, whether it is flat, curved, or even multidimensional. The key is to define a suitable metric and understand the properties of the surface in order to formulate the problem correctly.

5. How does the calculus of variations differ from traditional calculus?

The calculus of variations differs from traditional calculus in that it deals with finding the optimal solution to a problem, rather than just finding a particular value or function. It also involves working with functionals, which are mappings from a space of functions to the real numbers, rather than just functions themselves.