Calculus of Var, Euclidean geodesic

In summary, The geodesic for euclidean polar coordinates can be calculated using the standard euler-lagrange equation, which can be reduced to a non-linear second order differential equation. This equation cannot be solved analytically and requires numerical analysis. The author's main concern is whether they have the correct differential equation, and they are not worried about solving it. The geodesic equations for this problem are given by \frac{d^2 r}{dt^2} - r \left( \frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2 = 0, \qquad r^2 \frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} + 2r \frac{dr}{dt} \frac{
cpsinkule

Homework Statement

Calculate the geodesic for euclidean polar coordinates given ds[itex]^{2}[/itex]=dr[itex]^{2}[/itex]+r[itex]^{2}[/itex]dθ[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

standard euler-lagrange equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to reduce the euler-lagrange equation to [itex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dθ^{2}}[/itex]-rλ=0 where λ=[itex]\sqrt{(\frac{dr}{dθ})^{2}+r^{2}}[/itex] is the Lagrangian itself (namely the linear element)

My main concern is that I have the correct differential equation, I'm curious because I can't possibly imagine how this author expects me to solve that if it is indeed the correct DE for the lagrangian.

Physics news on Phys.org
Were you asked to solve it? Most geodesic equations cannot be solved analytically and require numerical analysis.

I would think it would be easy to solve because it is obviously a straight line, that's why I think I have done something wrong to get this non-linear second order DE.

I do not necessarily think it would be easy. Given an arbitrary straight line that does not cross through the origin, how would you write this in polar coordinates? It is actually a very difficult thing to do.

so does that mean I have the correct DE? I'm not too worried about actually solving it, just that I have the right one and applied the E-L equations correctly to this problem

I haven't had to do this stuff in a long time, but I computed my geodesic equations to be

[tex]\frac{d^2 r}{dt^2} - r \left( \frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2 = 0, \qquad r^2 \frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} + 2r \frac{dr}{dt} \frac{d\theta}{dt} = 0 [/tex]

Related to Calculus of Var, Euclidean geodesic

1. What is the Calculus of Variations?

The Calculus of Variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal path or function for a given mathematical problem. It involves maximizing or minimizing a certain quantity, known as the functional, over a set of possible paths or functions.

2. What is Euclidean Geodesic?

Euclidean Geodesic refers to the shortest path between two points in a Euclidean space. In other words, it is the straight line that connects two points in a flat space, such as a plane or a 3-dimensional space.

3. What is the relationship between Calculus of Variations and Euclidean Geodesic?

The Calculus of Variations can be used to find the Euclidean Geodesic between two points by minimizing the distance functional. This is because the shortest path between two points is the one that minimizes the distance traveled.

4. What is the significance of Calculus of Variations in physics?

The Calculus of Variations has many applications in physics, such as in classical mechanics, where it is used to find the path of least action. It is also used in general relativity to find the geodesic, or shortest path, of a particle in curved space-time.

5. How is the Calculus of Variations different from traditional calculus?

Traditional calculus deals with finding the maximum or minimum of a function with respect to a variable. The Calculus of Variations deals with finding the minimum or maximum of a functional, which is a function of a function. It involves optimizing over an entire set of possible functions, rather than just a single variable.