Calculus III or linear Algebra? Which one should I take first?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of choosing between taking Calculus III or Linear Algebra as a first course. It is mentioned that the course descriptions for both recommend taking the other as a prerequisite, but opinions on which one to take first are divided. The enrollment numbers and class schedules for both courses are also mentioned. Ultimately, the group agrees that it doesn't matter too much and the individual can choose based on personal preference. It is also suggested that Linear Algebra may be a slightly easier option for a compressed summer course.
TheColorCute
Firstly, as you may see, I'm a newbie to this forum so I apologize if I posted this question in the wrong place or violated any rules within this post. :)

I have no idea as to which to take first. The course description for Linear Algebra says that "Calculus III is recommended but no required" as a core-requisite. I asked a teacher at school and he suggested I take Calculus III first. I asked my Dad (He's a Mathematical Physicist) and he suggested I take Linear Algebra first. The consensus on some other sites where other people asked the same questions is pretty even in both directions. Some say take Linear Algebra and some say take Calculus III. The course descriptions are as follows:

Calculus III:
Vectors, vector-valued functions. Calculus of functions of several variables: partial derivatives, gradient, divergence, curl, multiple integrals, line integrals, Stokes' and Green's theorems. Prerequisite: 22.

(22 is Calculus II)

Linear Algebra:
Matrices, linear dependence, vector spaces, linear transformations, characteristic equations and applications. Prerequisites: 22 or instructor's permission. Corequisite: MATH 121 recommended but not required.

(121 is Calculus III)

Calculus III has a much smaller enrollment for this particular class (only 6 out of 25) whereas Linear Algebra has much large enrollment of 21 out of 25 students enrolled. However, Calculus III meets three days a week for 2 and a half hours a day (for about 5 weeks) whereas Linear Algebra only meets two days a week for three and a half hours a day (for about 5 weeks).

I have no idea which class to take first. Any recommendations? I'm taking this over the summer at a local university. I won't be able to take both concurrently as the Linear Algebra course description recommends.

Any suggestions? Any opinions?

Thanks! :)

(I meant to say "Linear Algebra" in the title)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, let me add my voice to the equivocating masses and say, "gee it doesn't matter that much." It sounds as though you are going to take them both soon anyway.

As a practical matter, if I were choosing I'd probably choose Linear Algebra, mostly because in a compressed summer course I would prefer the slightly more conceptual and less hairy-algebra-generating homework that a typical introductory linear algebra course generates compared to Calculus III.

As for me, i would choose Linear Algebra first because, i think Linear Algebra dealt with more theoretical. And Calculus III is more of applying the theory. hmm, how should i explain it, my english soo terrible and messy.. I guess we wait for others for more opinion

OK, thanks!
I think I'm leaning more toward LA at this point. :)

Related to Calculus III or linear Algebra? Which one should I take first?

1. What is the difference between Calculus III and Linear Algebra?

Calculus III is a continuation of Calculus I and II, focusing on multi-variable calculus and vector calculus. Linear Algebra, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, and vectors.

2. Do I need to take Calculus III before Linear Algebra?

It is recommended to take Calculus III before Linear Algebra as it provides a strong foundation in multi-variable calculus concepts that are essential in understanding Linear Algebra.

3. Which one is more applicable in real-life situations?

Both Calculus III and Linear Algebra have practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It ultimately depends on one's personal interests and career goals.

4. Is Calculus III or Linear Algebra more challenging?

This can vary from person to person, but in general, Linear Algebra may be considered more abstract and challenging compared to Calculus III, which has more concrete applications.

5. Can I take Calculus III and Linear Algebra at the same time?

It is not recommended to take both Calculus III and Linear Algebra at the same time, as they both require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts. It is better to take them separately to fully grasp the material and avoid overwhelming oneself.