Calculus III : Getting MacLaurin Series From Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses writing the series for 1/(1-x) in summation notation and finding the first five terms and radius of convergence for a given function. The process involves taking derivatives of the series for 1/(1-x) to find the series for 1/(1-x)^2. The conversation ends with one person thanking the other for their help.
K3nt70

Homework Statement

5) For each of the series below, write the series in summation notation and give the first five terms of the series. Also give the radius of convergence of the series.

a) Use the series for [tex]\frac{1}{1 - x}[/tex] to find the Maclaurin series of

[tex] f(x) = \frac{1}{(1-2x)^3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

R = 1/L

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the full solution set for this problem but i can't figure out the process they are using to obtain the answer. I'm pretty unclear on specifically what the answer is supposed to be. I see that i am supposed to write the series in summation notation, but i don't know all of the steps.

For some reason they begin taking derivatives of the series given in the question and i have no idea why. All i really need help with is how to approach the problem. A little insight on what I'm supposed to be doing here would be great.

Thanks,

-Kent

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the series for 1/(1-x)=1+x+x^2+x^3+... then if you take the derivatives of both sides you get 1/(1-x)^2=1+2x+3x^2+4x^3+... Et voila. There's series for 1/(1-x)^2. I think that's the general outline of what they are doing. Does that help?

That's def. enough to get me started - i'll see where it gets me.

thanks

Related to Calculus III : Getting MacLaurin Series From Functions

What is Calculus III and why is it important?

Calculus III is the third course in a series of mathematics courses that focuses on advanced concepts in calculus such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and series. It is important because it provides the foundation for understanding and solving complex problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

What is a Maclaurin series and how is it different from a Taylor series?

A Maclaurin series is a special type of Taylor series where the function is expanded around the point x = 0. This means that the coefficients of the series are calculated using derivatives of the function evaluated at x = 0. In contrast, a Taylor series can be expanded around any point in the function's domain.

How do you find the Maclaurin series of a function?

To find the Maclaurin series of a function, you will need to take the derivatives of the function and evaluate them at x = 0. The coefficients of the series are then calculated using the formula for the nth derivative evaluated at x = 0 divided by n!. Finally, the series is written using summation notation.

What is the purpose of finding the Maclaurin series of a function?

The Maclaurin series of a function allows us to approximate the function using a polynomial, which can be easier to work with in certain situations. It also provides a way to find the value of the function at any point within its domain by plugging in the desired value for x into the series.

What are some real-world applications of Maclaurin series?

Maclaurin series have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used to approximate the behavior of physical systems, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the motion of a pendulum. They are also used in engineering to design and optimize structures and in economics to model financial data.