Calculus II Work and Density Question

In summary, the conversation involves discussing a problem involving finding the amount of work required to pump fluid out of a cylindrical tank, using a general formula with given data. The conversation also reveals an error in the calculation, which was eventually resolved.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

View attachment 2808
I'm not too sure of my answer for this question.

Knowing the the area is πr^2 for a single slice, I setup an integral with radius =5 and got $ \int_{0.3}^{1.5} 245,000πx \,d $ ultimately leads to 264,000π Joules for the answer.

Of course, this is bearing in mind that F=mg and D=m/v
Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• work.PNG
    work.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 44
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's develop a general formula into which we can just plug the given data:

Suppose we have an upright cylindrical tank, and we wish to compute the amount of work required to pump some of the fluid out, to some distance above the top of the tank.

Let's let the radius of the cylindrical tank be $r$, the height of the tank be $h$ and the additional distance above the tank the fluid must be pumped be $q$. All measures are in meters.

Let's then imagine the surface of the fluid is initially a distance $h_1$ from the top of the tank, and we wish to pump out fluid until the surface is a distance $h_2$ from the top of the tank. We will let $W$ be the amount of work required to accomplish this task.

We will use a vertical $y$-axis along which to integrate. Now, if we imagine slicing the cylinder of water we wish to remove into disks, we may state, using work is force times distance for a constant force:

\(\displaystyle dW=Fd=mgd\)

The force exerted is equal to the weight of the slice, which is the product of the mass and the acceleration due to gravity.

The mass $m$ of the slice is the product of the mass density $\rho$ (in \(\displaystyle \frac{\text{kg}}{\text{m}^3}\)) and the volume \(\displaystyle V=\pi r^2\,dy\) of the slice, i.e.:

$m=\rho\pi r^2\,dy$

The distance the slice must be vertically moved against gravity is:

$d=q+y$

Putting it all together, we have:

\(\displaystyle dW=\rho\pi g r^2(q+y)\,dy\)

Now, to find the total work done, we may sum the work differentials through integration:

\(\displaystyle W=\rho\pi g r^2\int_{h_1}^{h_2}(q+y)\,dy\)

Applying the anti-derivative form of the FTOC, we find:

\(\displaystyle W=\rho\pi g r^2\left[qy+\frac{1}{2}y^2 \right]_{h_1}^{h_2}\)

\(\displaystyle W=\rho\pi g r^2\left(\left(qh_2+\frac{1}{2}h_2^2 \right)-\left(qh_1+\frac{1}{2}h_1^2 \right) \right)\)

\(\displaystyle W=\rho\pi g r^2\left(q(h_2-h_1)+\frac{1}{2}(h_2^2-h_1^2) \right)\)

\(\displaystyle W=\rho\pi g r^2(h_2-h_1)\left(q+\frac{1}{2}(h_2+h_1) \right)\)

\(\displaystyle W=\frac{1}{2}\rho\pi g r^2(h_2-h_1)\left(h_1+h_2+2q \right)\)

Okay, now we have a general formula. Let's identify the parameters from your given problem.

\(\displaystyle \rho=\frac{1000\text{ kg}}{\text{m}^3},\,g=9.8\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}^2}\,r=5\text{ m},\,h_1=0.3\text{ m},\,h_2=1.5\text{ m},\,q=0\text{ m}\)

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle W=\frac{\pi}{2}\left(\frac{1000\text{ kg}}{\text{m}^3}\right)\pi\left(9.8\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}^2}\right)\left(5\text{ m}\right)^2\left(1.5\text{ m}-0.3\text{ m}\right)\left(0.3\text{ m}+1.5\text{ m}+2\cdot0\text{ m} \right)\)

\(\displaystyle W=264600\pi\text{ J}\)

Excellent. Thank you so much for the insightful response.

But wait, what accounts for the extra 400π between our answers? Our setups for the question seems relatively similar.

ardentmed said:
Excellent. Thank you so much for the insightful response.

But wait, what accounts for the extra 400π between our answers? Our setups for the question seems relatively similar.

You've simply made an arithmetical error. When I evaluate the integral you set up, I get the same result I posted above. :D

Related to Calculus II Work and Density Question

1. What is the formula for calculating work in Calculus II?

The formula for calculating work in Calculus II is W = ∫F(x)dx, where W represents work, F(x) represents force as a function of position, and dx represents the infinitesimal change in position.

2. How is the concept of work related to Calculus II?

The concept of work is closely related to Calculus II because Calculus is used to find the area under a curve, which can represent the work being done by a variable force. In Calculus II, this is done through integration.

3. What is density and how is it used in Calculus II?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume. In Calculus II, density is often used in problems involving finding the mass or volume of an object, as well as in related rates problems.

4. Can you explain the concept of finding the center of mass using Calculus II?

In Calculus II, the center of mass of a system is found by using integration to calculate the weighted average of the positions of all the particles in the system. This involves finding the mass and the moment of each particle, and then dividing the sum of the moments by the total mass.

5. How is the concept of density applied in real-world scenarios?

Density is applied in various real-world scenarios, such as determining the strength of materials, designing structures, and analyzing fluid flow. It is also used in fields like physics, engineering, and chemistry to calculate the properties and behaviors of different substances and materials.