Calculus II Integral Convergence and Divergence Questions

In summary: Then it would obviously be divergent. My question is if my rationale was correct, meaning was my work leading up to the conclusion that it equals infinity correct?
ardentmed
1391f1257f53a17199f9_5.jpg

For a,b, and c respectively, I got divergent (to -infinity), convergent (to π/6), and divergent (to infinity, since the first part's sum is 1/3, but lim negative infinity gives infinity, thus the summation of the two integrals gives a divergent integral). I'm sure these are right, but I'd appreciate some help, especially for 8c.I really appreciate the help guys. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ardentmed said:
1391f1257f53a17199f9_5.jpg

Finally, for 8abc repectively, I got divergent (to -infinity), convergent (to π/6), and divergent (to infinity, since the first part's sum is 1/3, but lim negative infinity gives infinity, thus the summation of the two integrals gives a divergent integral). I'm sure these are right, but I'd appreciate some help, especially for 8c.I really appreciate the help guys. Thanks in advance.

I agree that the first one needs to be divergent, as the integral of a 1/x type function is a logarithm, which grows without bound (but at the slowest possible rate).

For the second:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{\mathrm{e}^x\,\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{e}^{2x} + 3}} &= \int{\frac{\mathrm{e}^x\,\mathrm{d}x}{ \left( \mathrm{e}^x \right) ^2 + 3 } } \end{align*}$

Now substitute $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathrm{e}^x = \sqrt{3}\tan{ \left( \theta \right) } \implies \mathrm{e}^x\,\mathrm{d}x = \sqrt{3}\sec^2{ \left( \theta \right) } \,\mathrm{d}\theta \end{align*}$ and the integral becomes

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{\mathrm{e}^x\,\mathrm{d}x}{ \left( \mathrm{e}^x \right) ^2 + 3 }} &= \int{ \frac{\sqrt{3}\sec^2{ \left( \theta \right) } \,\mathrm{d}\theta}{ \left[ \sqrt{3}\tan{\left( \theta \right) } \right] ^2 + 3 }} \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \int{ \frac{\sec^2{ \left( \theta \right) } \,\mathrm{d}\theta}{ \tan^2{\left( \theta \right) } + 1 }} \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \int{ \frac{\sec^2{\left( \theta \right) } \,\mathrm{d}\theta}{\sec^2{\left( \theta \right) } }} \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \int{ 1 \, \mathrm{d}\theta} \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \theta + C \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \arctan{ \left( \frac{\mathrm{e}^x}{\sqrt{3}} \right) } + C \end{align*}$

so your definite integral is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_0^{\infty}{\frac{\mathrm{e}^x\,\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{e}^{2x} + 3}} &= \lim_{\epsilon \to \infty} \int_0^{\epsilon}{ \frac{\mathrm{e}^x\,\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{e}^{2x} +3} } \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \lim_{\epsilon \to \infty} \left[ \arctan{ \left( \frac{\mathrm{e}^x}{\sqrt{3}} \right) } \right]_0^{\epsilon} \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \lim_{\epsilon \to \infty} \left[ \arctan{ \left( \frac{\mathrm{e}^{\epsilon}}{\sqrt{3}} \right) } - \arctan{ \left( \frac{\mathrm{e}^0}{\sqrt{3}} \right) } \right] \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \left( \frac{\pi}{2} - \frac{\pi}{6} \right) \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \left( \frac{\pi}{3} \right) \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}\,\pi}{9} \end{align*}$

so this integral is convergent :)

Any idea about the third one? I'm almost definite that it is divergent, but one of the sums for the split up integral gives me 1/3, a convergent value.

ardentmed said:
Any idea about the third one? I'm almost definite that it is divergent, but one of the sums for the split up integral gives me 1/3, a convergent value.

You'll have to post all your working out, I have no idea how to tell you where (or if) you have gone wrong if I have no idea what you have done...

Prove It said:
You'll have to post all your working out, I have no idea how to tell you where (or if) you have gone wrong if I have no idea what you have done...

Well, if you take u=-x^3 and -(du/3)=x^2 dx, then the resulting integral is (-1/(3e^ (x^3))

Therefore, from infinity to zero, the sum is 1/3, and from zero to negative infinity, the sub is just infinity since [(-e)^ -(-infinity)] / 3 is infinity.

Thanks.

ardentmed said:
Well, if you take u=-x^3 and -(du/3)=x^2 dx, then the resulting integral is (-1/(3e^ (x^3))

Therefore, from infinity to zero, the sum is 1/3, and from zero to negative infinity, the sub is just infinity since [(-e)^ -(-infinity)] / 3 is infinity.

Thanks.

So if you end up with an infinite amount, what conclusion should you come to?

Prove It said:
So if you end up with an infinite amount, what conclusion should you come to?

Then it would obviously be divergent. My question is if my rationale was correct, meaning was my work leading up to the conclusion that it equals infinity correct?

Thanks.

Related to Calculus II Integral Convergence and Divergence Questions

1. What is the purpose of studying integral convergence and divergence in Calculus II?

The purpose of studying integral convergence and divergence in Calculus II is to understand the behavior and properties of functions that have infinite integrals. This allows us to determine whether a given function will converge or diverge, which is important in many areas of mathematics and science.

2. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent integral?

A convergent integral is one where the limit of the integral exists and has a finite value. This means that the area under the curve of the function is finite. On the other hand, a divergent integral is one where the limit does not exist or is infinite. This means that the area under the curve of the function is also infinite.

3. How can we determine if an integral is convergent or divergent?

There are several methods for determining if an integral is convergent or divergent. One method is to use the comparison test, where we compare the given integral to a known convergent or divergent integral. Another method is the limit comparison test, where we compare the given integral to a limit of a known convergent or divergent integral. We can also use the integral test, which involves taking the limit of a series of partial sums of the integral to determine its convergence or divergence.

4. What is the significance of the p-series test in determining integral convergence and divergence?

The p-series test is a special case of the integral test, where the given integral is of the form ∫(1/x^p)dx. This test is useful in determining the convergence or divergence of integrals where p is a positive constant. If p is less than or equal to 1, the integral will diverge. If p is greater than 1, the integral will converge.

5. Are there any real-world applications of integral convergence and divergence?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of integral convergence and divergence. For example, in physics, we use these concepts to calculate the work done by a force, the displacement of an object, and the total energy of a system. In economics, we use integrals to calculate the area under a demand curve, which represents the total revenue from a product. Additionally, integrals are used in statistics to calculate probabilities and in engineering to determine the stability of structures.