Calculus II improper integrals

In summary, this conversation is about whether or not it's acceptable to write integrals like the one above, where the integrand is undefined at the limits. Some people say that this is a shorthand for indicating the limit, while others maintain that infinity is not a number and should not be integrated using limits.
GreenPrint
Hi,

I was wondering if it was really necessary to evaluate improper integrals with limits? Could anyone really say I was wrong if I did something like

find the area bounded by the region y=1/x^2, x=2, and the x-axis

integral[1,inf] dx/x^2 = (-1/x)|[2,inf] = (-0)-(-1/2)=1/2

Like I don't really see the need to remove infinity from my work and plug in some variable and evaluate using limits when I can just plug in infinity if that makes sense and was wondering if anyone would consider my work to be wrong because my textbook insists that I evaluate improper integrals with limits but I see no real reason to

also if there was a problem were limits were necessary and I would get a undefined answer I evaluate improper integrals with like 3^+ or 3^- to indicate I was evaluating the integral from the right of 3 or to the left of 3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you were in an upper-level undergraduate or graduate physics course, you might get away with writing things that way (physicists write improper integration like that all the time). But you should be aware that it is a "shorthand" for indicating the limit. "Infinity" is not a number*, and one attempts to treat it as one at their peril. In improper integration of many kinds of functions, simply "plugging in infinity" will leave you with an expression you won't begin to know how to approach without keeping in mind where the limits are operating.

I can tell you that most graders would probably dock you a point or two on an exam if you wrote your evaluation of the integral that way. What you do in your own personal work is, of course, up to you...*EDIT: Well, yeah, I mean in standard analysis; after all, in projective geometry, they put a point "at infinity" and make it a location...

Last edited:
Hm interesting thanks for the advice. So I take it if I "plugged in" inf^-1 instead it would still be considered a improper way of evaluating a integral as well because it's not a number neither...

I never thought of it that way, infinity is not a number, so you must integrate evaluating limits...

would one however say it's improper to integrate from like c^- or c^+ were c is a actual number, like for example 1 or 2?

GreenPrint said:
I was wondering if it was really necessary to evaluate improper integrals with limits?
Yes, in the sense that that's how the improper integral is defined. I think your textbook, by requiring you to write out the steps explicitly, is simply trying to pound it into you that this is what it really means when you have an infinite limit.

The question of whether you will always need to write those steps out depends on your graders. For your current course, it would probably be safest to always write it out because it's one of the concepts you're learning in the course. In later courses, it's probably fine to omit those steps. Not writing the limit explicitly is pretty common, so it's arguable whether a grader would ding you for doing that. Simply put, you need to know your audience. In other words, just ask the grader if he or she wants to see those steps or not.

You might be interested in looking into "non-standard analysis". It sets forth a rigorous approach to infinitesimals and their inverses without introducing limits. The blanket statement that infinity is not a number is not quite correct in that context. Wikipedia has a tolerably correct description.

is this notation ok though

integral[a^+/-,b^+/-] f(x)dx

were a and b are actual numbers and not infinity, is this short hand acceptable, were a^- is a from the left, and a^+ is a from the right?

obafgkmrns said:
You might be interested in looking into "non-standard analysis". It sets forth a rigorous approach to infinitesimals and their inverses without introducing limits. The blanket statement that infinity is not a number is not quite correct in that context. Wikipedia has a tolerably correct description.

hmmm interesting... I'll look into that topic

GreenPrint said:
is this notation ok though

integral[a^+/-,b^+/-] f(x)dx

were a and b are actual numbers and not infinity, is this short hand acceptable, were a^- is a from the left, and a^+ is a from the right?
No, it's not. Here's an integral similar to what you're indicating above.
[tex]\int_0^1 \frac{dx}{x(x - 1)}[/tex]

This integral is improper, because the integrand function is undefined at both limits of integration. The right way to do this is to break the integral into two improper integrals, like so:
[tex]\lim_{a \to 0^+}\int_a^{.5} \frac{dx}{x(x - 1)} + \lim_{b \to 1^-}\int_{.5}^b \frac{dx}{x(x - 1)} [/tex]

At this point, you find an antiderivative for each integral, and evaluate it at the two endpoints, and then take the limit of each.

BTW, I chose .5 arbitrarily. Any number (strictly) between 0 and 1 would do.

obafgkmrns said:
You might be interested in looking into "non-standard analysis". It sets forth a rigorous approach to infinitesimals and their inverses without introducing limits.

Of course, to manage that requires some significant changes in the way the structure of number sets are viewed, since the hyperreals are a bit more involved than just the real number line with infinitesimals jammed in everywhere. I suspect we couldn't have gotten to that idea without passing through consideration of a rigorous definition for limits first...

BTW, obafgkmrns, have you considered appending the brown-dwarf spectral types to your name?

"BTW, obafgkmrns, have you considered appending the brown-dwarf spectral types to your name?"

Nah. It's just that somebody had already taken "obafgkm".

dynamicsolo said:
Of course, to manage that requires some significant changes in the way the structure of number sets are viewed, since the hyperreals are a bit more involved than just the real number line with infinitesimals jammed in everywhere. I suspect we couldn't have gotten to that idea without passing through consideration of a rigorous definition for limits first...

BTW, obafgkmrns, have you considered appending the brown-dwarf spectral types to your name?

To prove theorems in Calculus you have to use limits. Physicists and engineers use infinitesimals to solve problems, but they don't mean infinitely small. They mean small enough so the error becomes negligible. I don't know who this guy Robinson was. Sounds like a rogue mathematician.

Related to Calculus II improper integrals

What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite, or where the function being integrated is unbounded at one or more points within the interval of integration.

How do you evaluate an improper integral?

To evaluate an improper integral, you must first determine if it is convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, you can use a variety of techniques such as the limit comparison test, the comparison test, or the integral test to find the value. If it is divergent, the integral does not have a finite value.

What are the types of improper integrals?

There are two types of improper integrals: type 1 and type 2. Type 1 improper integrals have infinite limits of integration, while type 2 improper integrals have unbounded functions within the interval of integration.

What is the limit comparison test?

The limit comparison test is a technique used to evaluate improper integrals. It involves comparing the given integral to a simpler integral whose convergence is known. If the simpler integral converges, then the given integral also converges.

Why is it important to understand improper integrals?

Improper integrals are important in many areas of mathematics and science, as they allow us to find the area under curves that would otherwise be impossible to evaluate. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and economics, making them a crucial concept to understand for many fields of study.