Calculus II - closed function question

In summary: F and f and x in relation to t?sorry about the wrong copying: g(t)=f(t,1-t^6)In summary, you are trying to find the inverse function of g(1), which is 2ln(g(1)). Differentiating with respect to t, you get: \frac{2}{tg}(1+ tg')+ cos(t(1- t^6)g)((1- t^6)g- 6t^6g+ t(1-t^6)g')
axcelenator
there is a function: F ( x, y, z) = 2ln (xz) + sin ( xyz) − y^2 = 0.
the func is defined by the closed function z=f(x,y) and provides : f(1,0)=1
we define: g(t)=f(t,1-t^6) . where t is very close to 1.
I have to find g'(1)

Homework Equations

I tried to to do like that: find F'x and F'z and did z'x =-(F'x/ F'z) and got -1. but from here I don't know what to do.
The answer is g'(1)=2.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, can't really follow this - can you explain the question in a little more detail and more clearly? for example what is g in relation to F and f and x in relation to t?

sorry about the wrong copying: g(t)=f(t,1-t^6)

axcelenator said:
there is a function: F ( x, y, z) = 2ln (xz) + sin ( xyz) − y^2 = 0.
the func is defined by the closed function z=f(x,y) and provides : f(1,0)=1
Are you saying there exist f(x,y) such that z= f(x,y), in the neighborhood of (1, 0, 1), is the same as [itex]2ln(xz)+ sin(xyz)- y^2= 0[/itex]?

we define: g(t)=f(t,1-t^6) . where t is very close to 1.
I have to find g'(1)
If so, then F(x, y, g)= 2ln(xg)+ sin(xyg)- y^2= 0. And with x= t, y= 1- t^6, that is 2ln(tg)+ sin(t(1- t^6)g)- (1- t^6)^2.

Differentiating with respect to t,
[tex]\frac{2}{tg}(1+ tg')+ cos(t(1- t^6)g)((1- t^6)g- 6t^6g+ t(1-t^6)g')- 12(1- t^6)t^5= 0[/tex]
Set t= 1, so that x= 1, y= 0, and F(1, 0, g(1))= 2ln(g(1))= 0. What is g(1)? Put x= 1, y= 0, and that value of g(1) into the equation and solve for g'(1).

Homework Equations

I tried to to do like that: find F'x and F'z and did z'x =-(F'x/ F'z) and got -1. but from here I don't know what to do.
The answer is g'(1)=2.
Thanks for your help!

Related to Calculus II - closed function question

1. What is a closed function in Calculus II?

A closed function in Calculus II refers to a function that is defined and continuous over a closed interval. This means that the function has no discontinuities or gaps within the given interval.

2. How is a closed function different from an open function?

A closed function is different from an open function in that it includes the endpoints of a given interval, while an open function does not. This means that a closed function is defined and continuous at every point within the interval, including the endpoints.

3. What are the key properties of a closed function?

The key properties of a closed function include continuity, boundedness, and having a maximum and minimum value within the given interval. These properties help to ensure that the function is well-defined and behaves predictably over the entire interval.

4. How are closed functions used in Calculus II?

Closed functions are used in Calculus II to study the behavior of functions over a specific interval. They are also used to determine the area under a curve, as they have a defined and continuous value at every point within the interval.

5. Can a closed function have an infinite number of solutions?

No, a closed function cannot have an infinite number of solutions. This is because a closed function is defined and continuous over a specific interval, and therefore has a finite number of solutions within that interval.