Calculus II - Calculus in Polar Coordinates

In summary, to find the points at which the polar curve r = 3 + 6 cos(theta) has a horizontal and vertical tangent line, one must set dx/dtheta or dy/dtheta to zero and factor the equation to find all possible solutions. This results in four vertical tangents at theta = 0, pi/2, (3pi)/4, and arccos(1/4) and no horizontal tangents. It is important to consider all possible solutions and not ignore any when dividing through by a factor.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Find the points at which the following polar curves have a horizontal and vertical tangent line.

(a) r = 3 + 6 cos(theta)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x = r cos(theta) = (3 + 6 cos(theta)))cos(theta) = 3cos(theta) + 6 cos(theta)^2
y = rsin(theta) = (3 + 6cos(theta) )sin(theta) = 3 sin(theta) + 6 cos(theta)sin(theta)

dy/dtheta = 3 cos(theta) + 6[cos(theta)^2 - sin(theta)^2]
dx/dtheta = -3 sin(theta) - 12 cos(theta)sin(theta)

dy/dx = - [cos(theta) + 2[cos(theta)^2 - sin(theta)^2]]/[sin(theta) - 4cos(theta)sin(theta)]

for vertical tangent
sin(theta) = 4 cos(theta)sin(theta)
1 = 4 cos(theta)
theta = arccos(1/4)

for horizontal tangent
cos(theta) + 2cos(theta)^2 = 2sin(theta)^2 = 2(1-cos(theta)^2) = 2 - 2cos(theta)^2
cos(theta) + 2cos(theta)^2 + 2cos(theta)^2 - 2 = 0
4cos(theta)^2 + cos(theta) - 2 = 0
cos(theta) = (-1 +/- sqrt(1 - 4(-2)(4) ))/(2(4)) = (-1 +/- sqrt(33) )/8
theta = arccos( (-1 +/- sqrt(33) )/8 )

I don't see what I'm doing wrong, the answer key says that the vertical tangent occurs at theta = arcsin(1/4) and the horizontal tangents occur at arcsin( (-1 +/- sqrt(33) )/8 )

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that is the answer that goes with this problem? This is the equation of a limacon with an interior loop, so there should be four vertical tangents (the solver appears to have discarded the same factor you did). I agree with your calculations otherwise as far as I've checked. I wonder if they did something like [itex]r = 3 + 6 \sin \theta [/itex]...

Interesting... I don't see were I discarded a factor. Were did I do so. Ya, that's what the answer key says, it was made by someone so it's possible it's wrong. huh... I just checked and for some reason like you have suggested the person who made the answer key was doing r = 3 + 6 sin(theta) despite the question being r = 3 + sin(theta)

dx/dtheta = -3 sin(theta) - 12 cos(theta)sin(theta)

for vertical tangent
sin(theta) = 4 cos(theta)sin(theta)
1 = 4 cos(theta)
theta = arccos(1/4)

To find the vertical and horizontal tangents, you only need to set dx/dt or dy/dt , respectively, individually to zero. But when working with an equation involving a sum or difference like this,

[tex]3 \sin \theta + 12 \cos \theta \sin \theta = 0 , [/tex]

it is better to factor it and find where the individual factors equal zero, hence,

[tex]\sin \theta ( 1 + 4 \cos \theta) = 0 , [/tex]

implying [itex] \sin \theta = 0 \Rightarrow \theta = 0 or \pi [/itex] and

[itex] 4 \cos \theta = -1 [/itex] for the other two angles .

(Ah, I see the other problem: you dropped a minus sign when you went to

"sin(theta) = 4 cos(theta)sin(theta)
1 = 4 cos(theta)" .)

In any case, when you divide through by a factor in an equation, it is important to make sure that factor cannot be zero (which it can be for this curve). In removing that factor, you are throwing away other possible solutions. That is why there are four vertical tangents to be found, rather than just two. (I'm a bit surprised the solver didn't consider this, but you can inspect the polar curve for yourself...)

So for vertical tangents that still gives me only 3 points
pi/2, (3pi)/4, arccos(1/4)
the fourth point is from the fact that arccos(1/4) has two solutions? I thought we always ignored the other one were arccos(theta) was defined from 0 to pi and we ignored the values when solving equations like
cos(theta) = 1/4
but we don't ignore the other values if it was just arccos(1/4) or something rather

In dealing with a result like cos(theta) = -1/4 for polar curves, you are asking what angles have -1/4 as their cosine, rather than being limited to the range of the inverse cosine function. So there are two points there.

The other two are from sin(theta) = 0 , for which we get theta = 0 or pi . Thus, there are four vertical tangents. (But you don't have to take my word for it: plot the curve!)

Hm interesting, thank you very much, that makes sense.

Related to Calculus II - Calculus in Polar Coordinates

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a mathematical system used to describe the position of a point in a plane using a distance (r) and an angle (θ) from a fixed point called the origin.

2. What is the difference between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

In polar coordinates, a point is represented by a distance and angle from the origin, while in Cartesian coordinates, a point is represented by its x and y coordinates on a grid.

3. How do you convert between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar to Cartesian coordinates, use the formulas x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ). To convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates, use the formulas r = √(x² + y²) and θ = arctan(y/x).

4. What is the purpose of using polar coordinates in calculus?

Polar coordinates are useful in calculus for solving problems involving circular or symmetric shapes, such as finding the area and volume of polar curves or calculating line integrals.

5. What are some common applications of polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to describe the motion, position, and forces acting on objects with circular or rotational symmetry. They are also used in mapping and navigation systems, as well as in computer graphics.