Calculus Homework Help - Optimization Word Problem

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a calculus homework problem involving optimization. The problem is to determine the height and radius of a cylinder inscribed in a sphere of radius R in order to maximize its volume. The conversation also mentions using derivatives to solve the problem. The student is able to figure out the solution with some help.
markcus
Calculus Homework Help -- Optimization Word Problem

I'm in a University Calculus class, and I am having trouble with one of my homework questions. Much help would be appreciated!

"Determine the height and radius of the cylinder of greatest volume that can be inscribed in a sphere of radius R units."

Also, we are learning about derivatives, so if the question is solved using them, please indicate!
Thank you so much!.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi markcus! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

hey i actually figured it out, i think i was just having trouble visualizing it, it's not that bad though. but thanks!

Related to Calculus Homework Help - Optimization Word Problem

What is "Calculus Homework Help - Optimization Word Problem"?

"Calculus Homework Help - Optimization Word Problem" is a service that provides assistance with solving optimization problems in calculus. These problems involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, subject to certain constraints.

Why do students struggle with optimization word problems in calculus?

Students often struggle with optimization word problems in calculus because they require a deep understanding of both calculus concepts and problem-solving techniques. It can be challenging to apply these concepts and techniques to real-world situations, which are often presented in word problems.

How can "Calculus Homework Help - Optimization Word Problem" benefit students?

"Calculus Homework Help - Optimization Word Problem" can benefit students by providing them with step-by-step solutions to optimization word problems, allowing them to better understand the problem-solving process. It can also help students improve their problem-solving skills and increase their confidence in solving these types of problems on their own.

What types of optimization word problems can "Calculus Homework Help - Optimization Word Problem" assist with?

"Calculus Homework Help - Optimization Word Problem" can assist with a variety of optimization word problems, including those involving maximizing or minimizing area, volume, or cost, as well as problems involving rates of change and optimization of real-world scenarios.

How can I access "Calculus Homework Help - Optimization Word Problem"?

You can access "Calculus Homework Help - Optimization Word Problem" by searching for it online or by contacting a professional tutoring service. Some universities and colleges may also offer tutoring services for calculus students.