Calculus Derivative Terminology

In summary, the conversation discusses a function with a highlighted point of interest where the slope transitions from less than -1 to greater than -1. The speaker is wondering if there is a specific term for this point. However, there does not seem to be a known term for it, and the speaker suggests checking a resource for mathematical terms.
msell2
I have attached an image of a function that I fit to a scatter plot, and I would like to know if there is a term for the point on the function at which the slope transitions from being less than -1 to greater than -1. I have highlighted this point approximately in yellow. Thanks!http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54dfaacbe4b0a566f120550f/t/55481b19e4b03cee0385b39a/1430788890834/?format=750w

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
msell2 said:
I have attached an image of a function that I fit to a scatter plot, and I would like to know if there is a term for the point on the function at which the slope transitions from being less than -1 to greater than -1. I have highlighted this point approximately in yellow. Thanks!http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54dfaacbe4b0a566f120550f/t/55481b19e4b03cee0385b39a/1430788890834/?format=750w
There's no term describing this that I've ever heard of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculus Derivative Terminology

What is a derivative in calculus?

A derivative in calculus is a measure of how much a function changes as its input changes. It can be thought of as the slope of a curve at a specific point, or the rate of change of a function at that point.

What is the difference between derivative and differentiation?

Derivative and differentiation are closely related terms in calculus. Derivative refers to the general concept of the rate of change of a function, while differentiation is the process of finding the derivative of a function at a specific point.

What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule in calculus is a method for finding the derivative of a function that is composed of two or more functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivative of the outer function and the derivative of the inner function.

What is the product rule in calculus?

The product rule in calculus is a method for finding the derivative of a function that is the product of two other functions. It states that the derivative of a product is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function.

What is the power rule in calculus?

The power rule in calculus is a method for finding the derivative of a function that is raised to a power. It states that the derivative of a function raised to the power of n is equal to n times the function raised to the power of n-1, multiplied by the derivative of the function.