Calculus: Coordinate Changes, Jacobian, Double Integrals?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the transformation T(u,v) = (u2 - v2, 2uv) to map a triangle with bounds 0 ≤ v ≤ u ≤ 3 to a domain bounded by x=0, y=0, and y2 = 324 - 36x. The objective is to use this transformation to calculate ∬sqrt(x2+y2) dxdy on the region D. The solution involves using the Jacobian and drawing a picture of the uv region to determine the proper bounds of the integral. The final answer is equal to 4536/5, or 907.2.
PinkPocky
Calculus: Coordinate Changes, Jacobian, Double Integrals??

Homework Statement

Show that T(u,v) = (u2 - v2, 2uv)
maps to the triangle = { (u,v) | 0 ≤ v ≤ u ≤ 3 } to the domain D,
bounded by x=0, y=0, and y2 = 324 - 36x.

Use T to calculate ∬sqrt(x2+y2) dxdy on the region D.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that dxdy = the Jacobian = (4u2+4v2)dudv.

I'm have a really hard time finding a way to figure what the bounds of the integral are, in terms of u and v.

Physics news on Phys.org

PinkPocky said:

Homework Statement

Show that T(u,v) = (u2 - v2, 2uv)
maps to the triangle = { (u,v) | 0 ≤ v ≤ u ≤ 3 } to the domain D,
bounded by x=0, y=0, and y2 = 324 - 36x.

Use T to calculate ∬sqrt(x2+y2) dxdy on the region D.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that dxdy = the Jacobian = (4u2+4v2)dudv.

I'm have a really hard time finding a way to figure what the bounds of the integral are, in terms of u and v.

Try drawing a picture of the uv region. You have 0 ≤ v ≤ u ≤ 3 given. Both u and v are between 0 and 3 so draw that square for a start. Now shade what part of that square also has v ≤ u. Then put your uv limits as that picture requires, like any other area problem.

Great, thanks! I should have realized it before... but thank you, a really great explanation made it clear for me to help myself. :)

By the way, the final answer to the problem I solved for was ridiculous but correct. The solved integral is equal to 4536/5, or 907.2 :(... haha.

Related to Calculus: Coordinate Changes, Jacobian, Double Integrals?

1. What is the purpose of coordinate changes in calculus?

Coordinate changes are used in calculus to make integrals easier to solve. By changing the coordinates, the shape of the domain can be transformed into a simpler form, making the integral easier to evaluate.

2. What is the Jacobian in calculus?

The Jacobian is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a coordinate transformation. In calculus, it is used to calculate the change in variables when performing a coordinate change for a double integral.

3. How do you calculate the Jacobian matrix?

The Jacobian matrix is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of each variable with respect to each other. For example, if we have a coordinate change from (x,y) to (u,v), the Jacobian matrix would be represented as:

J = [ ∂u/∂x ∂u/∂y∂v/∂x ∂v/∂y ]

4. What is a double integral in calculus?

A double integral is an integral with two variables, where the integration is performed over a two-dimensional region. It is used to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space or to calculate the area of a two-dimensional region.

5. How do you solve a double integral using coordinate changes?

To solve a double integral using coordinate changes, first, a suitable coordinate transformation must be chosen to simplify the integral. Then, the limits of integration must be transformed using the Jacobian matrix. Finally, the transformed integral can be evaluated, and the final result can be converted back to the original coordinates if necessary.