Calculus 3 (Integral where z is in terms of two functions)

In summary, we have a solid E bounded by the parabolic cylinder z = 1 - y^2 and the planes x + z = 1, x = 0, and z = 0, with a density function p(x,y,z) = 4. After graphing and setting up the bounds for integration, the mass was calculated to be 16/3. To find the center of mass, the bounds were set to {-1 <= y <= 1, 0 <= x <= 1, 1-y^2 <= z <= 1}, and the resulting integral gave a value of 4/5. The correct z limits for this integral are 0 <= z <= 1-y^2.
Chantry

Homework Statement

Find the mass and center of mass of the solid E with the given density function p.

38. E is bounded by the parabolic cylinder z = 1 - y^2 and the planes x + z = 1, x = 0, z = 0; p(x,y,z) = 4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to find a solution to this all morning.

I graphed it on paper in 3 dimensions and also graphed the zx, zy, and xy planes. The zx plane had equation z = 1-x, the zy had z = 1 - y^2, and the xy had two lines y = 1 and y = -1.

The bounds that I came up with were {-1 <= y <= 1, 0 <= x <= 1, 1-x<=z<=1-y^2}

This is where I had difficulty. The bounds I reasoned for z came from not being able to directly compare the equations z = 1-y^2 and x + z = 1. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to bound one of the axis in integration with two functions of unrelated variables. I guess you could argue that x and y are in both equations, except they're zero, but I have a feeling that's wrong.

Anyway, I solved the integral:
[tex]
\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1}\int_{1-x}^{1-y^{2}}4dzdxdy
[/tex]

Which came out to 16/3. This seems reasonable, but I thought I'd see what you guys had to say about it.

I know how to find the center of mass. I just don't know if I'm setting up the integral correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

Chantry

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chantry said:

Homework Statement

Find the mass and center of mass of the solid E with the given density function p.

38. E is bounded by the parabolic cylinder z = 1 - y^2 and the planes x + z = 1, x = 0, z = 0; p(x,y,z) = 4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to find a solution to this all morning.

I graphed it on paper in 3 dimensions and also graphed the zx, zy, and xy planes. The zx plane had equation z = 1-x, the zy had z = 1 - y^2, and the xy had two lines y = 1 and y = -1.

The bounds that I came up with were {-1 <= y <= 1, 0 <= x <= 1, 1-x<=z<=1-y^2}

This is where I had difficulty. The bounds I reasoned for z came from not being able to directly compare the equations z = 1-y^2 and x + z = 1. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to bound one of the axis in integration with two functions of unrelated variables. I guess you could argue that x and y are in both equations, except they're zero, but I have a feeling that's wrong...

While it is true that the xy domain is a square, choosing to integrate in the z direction first is a poor choice. The reason is that the "roof" of this solid consists of two separate parts; part of the roof is on the curved parabola shape and part is on the slanted plane. So if you wish to integrate in the z direction first you have to do two separate integrals. The best thing is to set it up again integrating either dx or dy first. You will see that one triple integral will work and the outer two limits will be easy from your picture.

And of course this integral only calculates the mass and you need an additional integral to do the center of mass, but you probably knew that.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help.

Alright, so I tried setting the bounds like this:

{-1 <= y <= 1, 1 - y^2 <= z <= 1, 0 <= x <= 1-z}

I integrated using 2 multiplied by the integral with bounds for y of 0 <= y <= 1,
and I got a result of 4/5.

I'm hoping I've finally wrapped my head around this.
Do those bounds sound right to you?

Chantry said:
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help.

Alright, so I tried setting the bounds like this:

{-1 <= y <= 1, 1 - y^2 <= z <= 1, 0 <= x <= 1-z}

I integrated using 2 multiplied by the integral with bounds for y of 0 <= y <= 1,
and I got a result of 4/5.

I'm hoping I've finally wrapped my head around this.
Do those bounds sound right to you?

I don't like your z limits. z is never larger than 1 - y2.

The way my drawing looks is I essentially have a -y^2 parabola starting at z = 1 on the yz plane.

So the way I thought about it was that on the z-axis it's at a maximum of 1, and then falls down on each side as y increases.

What's my error in thinking there?

Nevermind. I get it.

It would be 0 <= z <= 1-y^2, because it's bounded by the equations z = 0, and z = 1-y^2.

Right?

Chantry said:
Nevermind. I get it.

It would be 0 <= z <= 1-y^2, because it's bounded by the equations z = 0, and z = 1-y^2.

Right?

Yes.

Thank you! :)

Related to Calculus 3 (Integral where z is in terms of two functions)

1. What is the purpose of Calculus 3?

Calculus 3, also known as Multivariable Calculus, extends the concepts of single-variable calculus to functions of multiple variables. It is used to analyze and model phenomena in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields.

2. What is an integral in Calculus 3?

In Calculus 3, an integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in three-dimensional space. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

3. What does "z is in terms of two functions" mean in Calculus 3?

This means that the variable z is expressed as a combination of two other functions, typically x and y. This allows for the evaluation of integrals in three-dimensional space.

4. How is Calculus 3 different from Calculus 2?

Calculus 3 builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus 2, but extends them to functions of multiple variables. It also introduces new topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus.

5. What are some real-world applications of Calculus 3?

Calculus 3 has many practical applications, including modeling the trajectory of objects in motion, optimizing functions with multiple variables, and analyzing changes in surfaces and volumes. It is used in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer graphics.