Calculus 2 - Introduction to Differential Equations

In summary: When I took the integral I gotln| (y^2)/(y - y^2) | + c = ktIn summary, the equation y(t) = k/(1 + A e^(-kt)) has a power-of-e asymptote at y = 0 and y = 1.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

One model for the spread of rumor is that the rate of spread is proportional to the product of the fraction y of the population who have heard the rumor and the fraction who have not heard the rumor.
i) Write a differential equation that is satisfied by y
ii) Solve the differential equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i) dy/dt = ky(1-y)
ii) I was having trouble solving this equation
When I took the integral I got
ln| (y^2)/(y - y^2) | + c = kt
I checked that ln| (y^2)/(y - y^2) | + c was the correct integral of 1/(y-y^2) with wolfram alpha and it was
I than began to solve for y and got a quadratic equation but than stopped solving because I checked the answer key...

"Logistic Eqn dp/dt = kp(1-p/k) so k=1, P=y
Now the solution to (i) is y(t) = k/(1 + A e^(-kt))
y(t) = 1/(1+Ae^(-kt))
At t = 0 y_0 = 1/(1+A) => 1+ A = 1/y_0
A = 1/y_0 - 1
y = 1/(1+(1/y_0 - 1)e^(-kt) ) = y_0/(y_0 + (1-y_0)e^(-kt))"

I don't understand what this equation is y(t) = k/(1 + A e^(-kt)) and have never seen it before and don't think that if I solved the equation ln| (y^2)/(y - y^2) | + c = kt I would of gotten this... I don't understand... also y_0 is y sub zero or y at time equals zero...

thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:
When I took the integral I got
ln| (y^2)/(y - y^2) | + c = kt

Since you presumably used the "method of partial fractions", it would be easier to deal with this if you wrote ln| y/(1 - y) | + c = kt .

You now want to exponentiate both sides, that is, make each side a power of e , and then solve for y . You will not have a quadratic equation, but you do have something which will yield to algebraic manipulation...

["Wolfram" is solving the initial-value problem with y = y0 at t = 0 , which let's you replace c .]

So when I did so I got

y(t) = e^(kt)/(C+e^(kt))
Is this correct
y(0) = 1/(C+1)
I don't see how I am suppose to solve for C in any way

No, that is not correct. Why don't you precisely what you got when you integrated, before solving for y.

GreenPrint said:
So when I did so I got

y(t) = e^(kt)/(C+e^(kt))
Is this correct
y(0) = 1/(C+1)
I don't see how I am suppose to solve for C in any way

Exponentiating ln| y/(1 - y) | + c = kt should give

[tex]e^{ln |\frac{y}{1-y}| + c} = e^{kt} \Rightarrow \frac{y}{1-y} \cdot e^{c} = e^{kt} \Rightarrow y = \frac{e^{kt}}{A \cdot (1 + e^{kt})} , [/tex]

where [itex]e^{c} [/itex] is conventionally replaced by an arbitrary multiplicative constant A . Since you are finding the "general solution" to the differential equation, A is unspecified. This "logistic function" is more usually written as [itex] y = \frac{1}{A \cdot (1 + e^{-kt})} [/itex] , which has two horizontal asymptotes, one at y = 0 , the other at y = 1 .

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your help.

Related to Calculus 2 - Introduction to Differential Equations

1. What is the difference between a differential equation and an ordinary equation?

A differential equation involves the derivatives of a function, while an ordinary equation only involves the function itself. This means that a differential equation represents a relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. How is calculus used to solve differential equations?

Calculus provides essential tools for solving differential equations, such as finding the antiderivative of a function, using integration to solve initial value problems, and applying differentiation to determine the slope of a curve at a given point.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are three main types of differential equations: ordinary, partial, and exact. Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Exact differential equations have a special property where their solutions can be found by simply rearranging the equation.

4. Why do we need to study differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model a wide range of real-world phenomena, from population growth to electrical circuits. By understanding how to solve these equations, we can make predictions and analyze systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, biology, and economics.

5. What are some common applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, economics, and finance. They are applied in areas such as mechanics, electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, circuit analysis, chemical reactions, and population dynamics. They are also essential in the development of technologies such as GPS systems, medical imaging, and computer graphics.