Calculus 1 (limits, VA and constants)

Yes, of course, (x^2-2x+ 4)/((x+ 2)(x- 2))= (x- 2)^2/((x+ 2)(x- 2))= x- 2 as long as x is not -2. There is a vertical asymptote at x= -2. How did I miss that? I think he probably meant:\lim_{x \rightarrow -2} \frac{x ^ 2 - 4}{(x + 2) ^ 2} = \lim_{x \rightarrow -2} \frac{x - 2}{(x + 2)} \rightarrow \frac{-4}{0}
gator
Im in calculus 1 and need some help

Question: Find the vertical asymptotes for…
F(x) = x^3 + 8 / x^2 –4
I got a va of –2

F(x) = 2x/ sin2x
I got a va of 1

Find the limit
Lim tan^2 2x/ x^2
x-0

I got 4 as my answer

Lim x^2 –4 / (x + 2 )^2
x- (-2)

I got –4/0 = no limit

Constant problem

F(x) = -x + 2 x<c
2x^2 –2x –4 x_>c

Not sure how to answer this.

Where can I find notes on this section online?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
gator said:
Im in calculus 1 and need some help
Did you notice this NOT the "homework" section?
Question: Find the vertical asymptotes for…
F(x) = x^3 + 8 / x^2 –4
I got a va of –2

PLEASE use parentheses! I assume you really meant
F(x)= (x^3+ 8)/(x^2- 4)= ((x+ 2)(x^2- 2x+ 4))/((x+2)(x-2))=
((x-2)(x-2))/(x-2)= x-2 as long as x is not 2 or -2. I don't see any vertical asymptote there.

F(x) = 2x/ sin2x
I got a va of 1

F(1)= 2/sin 2. How is that "vertical"?

Find the limit
Lim tan^2 2x/ x^2
x-0

I got 4 as my answer

HOW did you get 4?

Lim x^2 –4 / (x + 2 )^2
x- (-2)

I got –4/0 = no limit

Once again, HOW did you get "-4/0"?

Constant problem

F(x) = -x + 2 x<c
2x^2 –2x –4 x_>c

Not sure how to answer this. [\quote]

Answer what? There is no question here!

If, buy chance, you mean "Find c so that F(x) is continuous for all x" then you should find the one-sided limits as x-> c. Since -x+ 2 and 2x^2- 2x- 4 are both polynomials (and so continuous) you can do that by just setting x= c in each. The function will be continuous at x= c if those are the same. (There are two answers.)

Where can I find notes on this section online?
Thanks

Since I really have no idea what "section" you are talking about, I don't know.

HallsofIvy said:
PLEASE use parentheses! I assume you really meant
F(x)= (x^3+ 8)/(x^2- 4)= ((x+ 2)(x^2- 2x+ 4))/((x+2)(x-2))=
((x-2)(x-2))/(x-2)= x-2 as long as x is not 2 or -2. I don't see any vertical asymptote there.
As a matter of fact, [itex](x ^ 2 - 2x + 4) \neq (x - 2) ^ 2[/itex] :wink:
Once again, HOW did you get "-4/0"?
I think he probably meant:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -2} \frac{x ^ 2 - 4}{(x + 2) ^ 2} = \lim_{x \rightarrow -2} \frac{x - 2}{(x + 2)} \rightarrow \frac{-4}{0}[/tex]
(@ gator, I wouldn't say -4 / 0 = no limit (as -4 / 0 is not really well-defined), I'd rather say, as x tends to -2, the numerator tends to -4, and the denominator tends to 0, hence there's no limit).
If, buy chance, you mean "Find c so that F(x) is continuous for all x" then you should find the one-sided limits as x-> c. Since -x+ 2 and 2x^2- 2x- 4 are both polynomials (and so continuous) you can do that by just setting x= c in each. The function will be continuous at x= c if those are the same. (There are two answers.)
How much will a chance probably cost me? :-p

Last edited:
VietDao29 said:
As a matter of fact, [itex](x ^ 2 - 2x + 4) \neq (x - 2) ^ 2[/itex]

Well, dang me! It was probably that fourth whiskey and soda.

Related to Calculus 1 (limits, VA and constants)

1. What is a limit in Calculus 1?

A limit is a fundamental concept in Calculus 1 that represents the value that a function approaches as its input (x) approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the notation lim f(x), where f(x) is the function and the limit is evaluated as x approaches a specific value.

2. What are vertical asymptotes in Calculus 1?

Vertical asymptotes are vertical lines on a graph where the function approaches infinity or negative infinity as the input (x) approaches a certain value. They occur when the function is undefined or approaches infinity at a specific value of x.

3. How do I find the limit of a function algebraically?

To find the limit of a function algebraically, you can use the limit laws, which include the sum law, product law, quotient law, and power law. These laws allow you to simplify and evaluate the limit of a function by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. What is the difference between a limit and continuity?

A limit and continuity are closely related but have different definitions. A limit is the value a function approaches as the input (x) approaches a certain value, while continuity refers to the smoothness of a function at a certain point. A function is continuous at a point if the limit exists at that point and the function is defined at that point.

5. How do I determine if a function has a constant limit?

To determine if a function has a constant limit, you can evaluate the limit of the function at different values of x and see if they all approach the same value. If the limit remains the same regardless of the value of x, then the function has a constant limit. You can also use the limit laws to simplify the function and see if it can be written as a constant value.