Calculator not working for me

• Thread starter oneamp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the person is having trouble integrating from 0 to infinity with their TI-89 calculator using a log-normal distribution. They are getting an answer of infinity instead of 1, which is expected for a PDF. They provide the equation they are using and realize their exponent is incorrect. They also mention trying to integrate from 0 to 12 and getting the same result. They are seeking help to understand what they are doing wrong.
oneamp
I am using the PDF for log-normal distribution, which I'm referencing off the wikipedia page:
here. I am integrating from 0 to infinity with my TI-89. It is not giving me 1, as I'd expect from a PDF, but is giving me infinity. Here is how I'm entering it in the calculator (I've tried a few variations):

e^(-((ln(x-1))^2/2))/(sqrt(2*pi)*x)

mu and sigma are one, so it simplifies to this. What is going on :(

Also I just tried integrating from 0 to 12, and it also says infinity. I guess I am doing something wrong :(

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your exponent is wrong. It should be ((lnx - 1)2)/2.

thank you

Related to Calculator not working for me

What could be causing my calculator to not work?

There are a few potential reasons why your calculator may not be working. It could be a simple issue like low battery or loose connections. Alternatively, there may be a software or programming error. It is also possible that there is a malfunctioning component inside the calculator.

How can I troubleshoot my calculator?

First, check the batteries and connections to make sure they are secure and functional. If that does not resolve the issue, try resetting the calculator. If the issue persists, consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for further troubleshooting steps.

Is my calculator fixable or do I need to replace it?

It depends on the specific issue and the availability of replacement parts. If the problem is software-related, it may be possible to fix it by reprogramming or updating the calculator. If there is a hardware issue, it may be more cost-effective to replace the calculator.

Can I repair my calculator myself?

It is not recommended to attempt to repair your calculator unless you have the necessary knowledge and experience. Opening up the calculator can void the warranty and may cause further damage. It is best to consult the manufacturer or a professional for repairs.

How can I prevent my calculator from not working in the future?

To prevent future issues, make sure to regularly check and replace batteries, handle the calculator with care, and keep it away from extreme temperatures or moisture. It is also important to follow the correct operating instructions and avoid any attempts to modify the calculator.