Calculation to find the torque required to start an engine

In summary, torque is a measure of rotational force that is essential for starting an engine. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the engine by the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The torque required to start an engine can be affected by factors such as engine size, fuel type, and friction. To reduce the torque required, a smaller or more efficient engine design, lighter materials, and proper maintenance can be used. There is a formula for calculating torque, but it may vary depending on the engine type and design.
akshai
I need to design starter motor based on the the torque required to rotate the flywheel and reciprocating mass in the engine.How to do the calculation .I have already done a part,i feel something more to consider

Attachments

• Starter selection (1).pdf
    914.1 KB · Views: 1,889
Engineering news on Phys.org
You've got a 5 liter, 4-cylinder engine with a 17:1 compression ratio, cranking at 200 RPM max.

I didn't see any calculations which develop the amount of power it takes to turn this engine against the air being compressed in the cylinders. I don't think this power can be neglected.

Likes akshai

Related to Calculation to find the torque required to start an engine

1. What is torque and why is it important for starting an engine?

Torque is a measure of rotational force or the amount of force applied to an object to cause it to rotate around an axis. In engines, torque is important because it is what allows the engine to generate power and propel the vehicle or machine.

2. How is torque calculated for starting an engine?

The torque required to start an engine can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the engine by the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This distance is known as the lever arm or moment arm. The unit of torque is usually measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

3. What factors affect the torque required to start an engine?

The torque required to start an engine can be affected by several factors, including the size and weight of the engine, the type of fuel used, the condition of the engine components, and the amount of friction in the engine.

4. How can the torque required to start an engine be reduced?

The torque required to start an engine can be reduced by using a smaller engine or a more efficient engine design, reducing the weight of the engine, using lighter and stronger materials, and reducing friction in the engine by proper lubrication and maintenance.

5. Is there a specific formula for calculating the torque required to start an engine?

Yes, the formula for calculating the torque required to start an engine is T = F x r, where T is the torque, F is the force applied, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. However, this formula may vary depending on the specific type and design of the engine.