Calculation of Torque for Drive Pulley of Roller Conveyor

In summary, the question asks for help in calculating the torque for a drive pulley of a rolling conveyor. The conveyor is 18m in length and has a speed of 2.5m/sec. It consists of 25 rollers, 1 drive pulley, and 1 tail pulley. The total load of the conveyor is 5,500kg. The drive pulley has a diameter of 550mm and is connected to a gear box with an RPM of 95 and a motor with 5.5 horsepower and an RPM of 1,500. To calculate the torque, the equations of power (linear speed times force) and rotational speed times torque (2πf τ) can be used. However, estimating
hardja
Anyone can help me to calculate the Torque for Drive Pulley of Rolling Conveyor?
The details below:
- Roller Conveyor : length = 18m (speed of the belt conveyor is 2.5m / sec)
- Conveyor consists of 25 roller, 1 drive pulley & 1 tail pulley
- Total load of the conveyor : 5,500 kg

To move the conveyor, we install Drive Pulley with diameter of 550mm, and connected to Gear Box (RPM = 95) + Motor (5,5 HP ; RPM 1,500)

How do we calculate how much is the Torque of the Drive Pulley?

Physics news on Phys.org
Power is linear speed times force. (F v)
Also, it's also rotational speed times torque (2πf τ)
where f is revs per second

You just put these on the sides of an equation and put in what you know to what you want to find out.

It is difficult to find the torque required because you need to know friction, which is difficult to estimate. A company I know who makes conveyors for large animal cages assumes a friction coefficient of 1.0, in other words if you hang the load off the side the conveyor and tilt the machine up, it would be strong enough to lift it vertically.

sophiecentaur said:
Power is linear speed times force. (F v)
Also, it's also rotational speed times torque (2πf τ)
where f is revs per second

You just put these on the sides of an equation and put in what you know to what you want to find out.

Can you help which equation I should use?
I'm new with conveyor matters but got a job that asked me to install Belt Conveyor.

Appreciate your help.

hardja said:
Can you help which equation I should use?
I'm new with conveyor matters but got a job that asked me to install Belt Conveyor.

Appreciate your help.

Sorry - that was a Maths thing. What I meant was that you put those two expressions equal to each other - which makes an equation. So
Linear speed times force = rotational speed times torque
You know everything but the torque so you take rotational speed onto the other side to get the torque:
Torque = linear speed times force / rotational speed
(not forgetting the 2pi in my other post and to convert rpm into revs per second)
That should do it.

When you posted this Question on another thread I answered as follows...

Do you happen to know if a 5.5hp motor is powerful enough for this job? If you do then you can estimate the max torque assuming the motor is delivering 5.5HP at 1500rpm...

5.5 HP = 4125W

1500rpm = 157 Radians/second

So the torque at the motor is 4125/157 = 26Nm

The gearbox reduces rpm and multiplies the torque so torque at the output of the gearbox/drive pulley should be something like..

26 * 1500/95 = 410Nm

But that could be greatly exceeded. I can think of a lot of ways the torque could be higher for periods of time. Some examples..

Depending on the type of motor and how it's controlled the starting torque might be much higher.

You say the load is 5500kg. The transit time is 18/2.5 = 7.2 seconds. So every second 760kg is being dumped on one end of the conveyor belt and has to be accelerated to 2.5m/s. If the load is lumpy the torque might spike higher?

What happens if the belt with 5500Kg on it has to be stopped in a hurry or there is a power cut?

I'm not an expert on these systems. Google found a guide to the basics. Looks complicated to me.

http://www.krk.com.br/html/produtos/phoenix/Design_Fundamentals.pdf

As others have said.. I don't think you have enough information to calculate it any other way. You need info on the friction in the rollers etc when carrying 5500KG. Ask the manufacturer perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculation of Torque for Drive Pulley of Roller Conveyor

What is torque and why is it important in the calculation of drive pulley for roller conveyor?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the context of roller conveyors, torque is important because it determines the amount of rotational force needed to move the conveyor belt and transport materials. Proper calculation of torque ensures that the conveyor operates efficiently and can handle the intended load.

How do you calculate the torque for a drive pulley of a roller conveyor?

The torque for a drive pulley of a roller conveyor can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the load being transported by the conveyor by the distance between the center of the drive pulley and the center of the load. This calculation also takes into account the coefficient of friction between the conveyor belt and the drive pulley.

What factors can affect the torque calculation for a drive pulley of a roller conveyor?

There are several factors that can affect the torque calculation for a drive pulley of a roller conveyor. These include the weight of the load being transported, the coefficient of friction between the conveyor belt and the drive pulley, the diameter of the drive pulley, and the speed of the conveyor belt.

How does the speed of the conveyor belt impact the torque calculation for the drive pulley?

The speed of the conveyor belt can impact the torque calculation for the drive pulley in two ways. First, a higher speed will require more torque to move the conveyor belt and the load. Second, the speed of the conveyor belt can affect the coefficient of friction between the belt and the drive pulley, which will also impact the torque calculation.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when calculating torque for a drive pulley of a roller conveyor?

One common mistake when calculating torque for a drive pulley of a roller conveyor is not taking into account the weight of the load being transported. This can result in an inaccurate calculation and potentially cause the conveyor to operate with insufficient torque. Another mistake is not considering the coefficient of friction, which can greatly impact the torque needed for the conveyor. It is also important to double check all measurements and calculations to ensure accuracy.