Calculation of B to l nu decay width

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the matrix element amplitude of a process involving a factor ## \bar{l} (1-\gamma_5)\nu ## and the resulting value of ##| \bar{l} (1-\gamma_5)\nu|^2 ## in relation to the kinematics of the process. The question is about the discrepancy between the obtained value and the one stated in [hep-ph/0306037v2]. The solution involves defining values for ## p_l ## and ## p_\nu ## and using them to calculate ## p_l. p_\nu ##, which results in the desired value.
Safinaz
Hi,

1. Homework Statement

In the calculation of the matrix element amplitude of ## B \to l \nu ##, I got a factor ## \bar{l} (1-\gamma_5)\nu ## as in [hep-ph/0306037v2]. For ##|M|^2## I made :

##| \bar{l} (1-\gamma_5)\nu|^2 = (/\!\!\! p_l+m_l) (1-\gamma_5) /\!\!\! p_\nu(1+\gamma_5) = 2(/\!\!\! p_l+m_l) /\!\!\! p_\nu(1+\gamma_5) = 8 p_l. p_\nu ~##(1) , after taking the trace.

Homework Equations

[/B]
My question about the value of (1 )which depends on the kinematics of the process.I got a factor

##\frac{m_B^2}{2} ( 1 - \frac{2m_l^2}{m_B^2}) ##, while in [hep-ph/0306037v2] equ. 5, (1) gave a factor ## m_B^2( 1 - \frac{m_l^2}{m_B^2}) ## instead ..

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I defined

## p_l = ( E_l,\bf{p_l}) ## and ## p_\nu= ( E_\nu,- E_\nu) ##, where

## -E_\nu = -\bf{p_\nu} \equiv - \bf{p_l}, ~ \bf{p_l}^2= E_l^2 - m_l^2, ~ E_l =E_\nu = m_B/2##, then## p_l. p_\nu = E_l E_\nu +\bf{p_l}^2 = 2E_l^2 - m_l^2 = m_B^2/ 2 - m_l^2 =\frac{m_B^2}{2} ( 1 - \frac{2m_l^2}{m_B^2}) ##!

Bests.

Hi, yes I got an answer. Thanks.

Related to Calculation of B to l nu decay width

1. What is B to l nu decay width?

The B to l nu decay width is a measure of the probability that a B meson will decay into a specific lepton (l) and its corresponding neutrino (nu). It is an important quantity in particle physics that helps us understand the decay behavior of B mesons and the fundamental interactions between particles.

2. How is the B to l nu decay width calculated?

The B to l nu decay width is calculated using the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental interactions between particles. It involves complex mathematical equations and calculations that take into account various factors such as the masses of the particles involved, their coupling strengths, and other properties.

3. What is the significance of the B to l nu decay width?

The B to l nu decay width is significant because it provides important information about the decay rate of B mesons, which can help us test and refine our understanding of the Standard Model. It also allows us to make predictions about other related processes and can potentially uncover new physics beyond the Standard Model.

4. What are the main challenges in calculating the B to l nu decay width?

One of the main challenges in calculating the B to l nu decay width is the large number of parameters and variables involved in the equations. These values have to be measured or estimated with high precision, which can be a difficult and time-consuming process. Another challenge is the complexity of the calculations themselves, which require advanced mathematical techniques and powerful computing resources.

5. How is the accuracy of the B to l nu decay width calculation confirmed?

The accuracy of the B to l nu decay width calculation is confirmed through experimental measurements. Scientists use particle accelerators to create B mesons and observe their decays, and then compare the results with theoretical predictions. If there is a good agreement between the two, it provides validation for the calculations. Additionally, multiple independent calculations and cross-checks are performed to ensure the accuracy of the result.