Calculation of a Propagator for a Spin 1/2 system

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the Heisenberg picture and the Dyson Formula in calculating the expectation value of the total Hamiltonian. The speaker had success using the eigenvalues and eigenvectors in the Heisenberg picture, but encountered difficulties with the Dyson Formula and the Wick contraction theorem. They were seeking advice on how to proceed and were encouraged to review the assumptions and limitations of the theorem and consider alternative approaches to the problem.
TheShadowDragon
Homework Statement
Evaluate the expression below.
The ##S_{x}(t_i)## are the usual Spin 1/2 Matrices. T is the time ordered product. The Hamiltonian is ##\omega_0 \sigma_z+\lambda \sigma_x##. The ground state when ##\lambda=0## is ##\ket{0}## and when it is non zero, the ground state is ##\ket{\omega}##. ##H_I=\lambda \sigma_x## is the Interaction Hamiltonian in the Interaction picture.
Relevant Equations
$$\bra{\omega}T[S_x(t_1)S_x(t_2)]\ket{\omega}=\lim_{T\to\infty(1-i\epsilon)}\frac{\bra{0}T[S_x(t_1)S_x(t_2)exp(-i\int_{-T}^{T}H_{I}(t)dt\ket{0}}{\bra{0}T[exp(-i\int_{-T}^{T}H_{I}(t)dt\ket{0}}$$
Note that, on the right hand side of this equation, the spin matrices are in the Interaction picture and on the left hand side, they are in the Heisenberg picture.
Well, this calculation is straightforward in the Heisenberg picture. After finding the eigen values and eigen vectors of the total Hamiltonian, I found the explicit form for the exponential of the integral of the matrix and then did the matrix multiplication and calculated its expectation value in the new ground state.
Now, my problem is in the calculation using the Dyson Formula. If I explicitly calculate the exponential of the matrix and then apply the Wick contraction theorem, I end up with the free propagator since the terms coming out of the exponential in the numerator and denominator cancel out.
I would be grateful for any advice on how to proceed in this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your approach to the problem in the Heisenberg picture. It seems like you have made good progress in finding the ground state expectation value using the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the total Hamiltonian.

In terms of using the Dyson Formula, it is important to make sure that you are applying it correctly. The Wick contraction theorem is a useful tool for simplifying the calculation, but it is important to remember that it only applies to certain types of operators. It may be helpful to review the assumptions and limitations of the Wick contraction theorem and make sure that your calculation satisfies them.

Additionally, it may be helpful to consider alternative approaches to the problem. Have you explored other methods, such as the path integral formulation or the interaction picture? Sometimes, a different perspective can provide insight into a problem and lead to a solution.

I hope this advice is helpful and I wish you success in your calculations.

Related to Calculation of a Propagator for a Spin 1/2 system

1. What is a propagator in the context of a spin 1/2 system?

A propagator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one point in space to another over a period of time. In the context of a spin 1/2 system, the propagator represents the probability amplitude for a spin 1/2 particle to transition from one spin state to another.

2. How is the propagator for a spin 1/2 system calculated?

The propagator for a spin 1/2 system is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. The propagator is obtained by solving the Schrödinger equation for a specific initial and final spin state.

3. What are the variables involved in the calculation of a propagator for a spin 1/2 system?

The variables involved in the calculation of a propagator for a spin 1/2 system include the initial and final spin states, the time interval over which the transition occurs, and any external magnetic fields that may be present.

4. How is the propagator used in practical applications?

The propagator is used in practical applications to predict the behavior of spin 1/2 particles in various systems, such as in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) experiments and in the development of quantum computing algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations to the calculation of a propagator for a spin 1/2 system?

Yes, there are limitations to the calculation of a propagator for a spin 1/2 system. These limitations include the assumption that the system is in a pure state and that the spin states are measured with perfect accuracy. In reality, there may be factors that affect the spin states and introduce uncertainty in the measurement process.