Calculation Involving Thermodynamics, Gravitation and Fluid mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Stokes' law to a monoatomic ideal gas in a gravitational field. The gas remains at a constant temperature and equilibrium is maintained. The coefficient of viscosity and the radius of each molecule are given, and the question asks for the value of D in the equation for the number of molecules diffusing upwards. The conversation also touches on the relevance of diffusion and mean free path in this scenario, as well as the use of the Stokes-Einstein equation.
Ayesha02
Homework Statement
A monoatomic ideal gas is in gravitational field extended from the surface of the earth to a great height. Temperature of the gas is T and remains same at any height. At height 'h' number of molecules per unit volume 'n' is independent of time i.e equilibrium maintained. On the surface of the Earth n=##n_0##. Coefficient of viscosity of the gaseous medium is##N##. Stokes law is applicable. Radius of each spherical molecule is R. At height 'h' number of molecules diffusing upwards per unit area per second is given by -D dn/dh.
Find value of D. (boltzmann constant is K)
Relevant Equations
Stokes Law: F=6 pi ##N## r v
I figured out stokes law equation but I am unable to proceed further

Physics news on Phys.org
Ayesha02 said:
Homework Statement:: A monoatomic ideal gas is in gravitational field extended from the surface of the Earth to a great height. Temperature of the gas is T and remains same at any height. At height 'h' number of molecules per unit volume 'n' is independent of time i.e equilibrium maintained. On the surface of the Earth n=##n_0##. Coefficient of viscosity of the gaseous medium is##N##. Stokes law is applicable. Radius of each spherical molecule is R. At height 'h' number of molecules diffusing upwards per unit area per second is given by -D dn/dh.
Find value of D. (boltzmann constant is K)
Relevant Equations:: Stokes Law: F=6 pi ##N## r v

I figured out stokes law equation but I am unable to proceed further
I cannot understand what diffusion has to do with Stokes' law and viscosity. A trick question perhaps?

haruspex said:
I cannot understand what diffusion has to do with Stokes' law and viscosity. A trick question perhaps?

Probably. Its a competitive exam sum.

how to develop thought process in such sums?

Ayesha02 said:
Probably. Its a competitive exam sum.

how to develop thought process in such sums?
It helps if you can think through the physical processes involved.
Gas molecules diffuse because they travel at great speeds, typically, and bounce elastically off each other. The energy involved is thermal, so there is no mechanical energy to be lost to heat.
Viscosity involves the loss of KE in a much larger body moving through a fluid.

Next step is to think why an upwardly moving gas molecule would not always shoot up to the highest point its KE could take it. But unless you have actually studied this topic it's a bit tough to figure it all out in an exam.

What exam is this?

Google diffusion, mean free path.

haruspex said:
It helps if you can think through the physical processes involved.
Gas molecules diffuse because they travel at great speeds, typically, and bounce elastically off each other. The energy involved is thermal, so there is no mechanical energy to be lost to heat.
Viscosity involves the loss of KE in a much larger body moving through a fluid.

Next step is to think why an upwardly moving gas molecule would not always shoot up to the highest point its KE could take it. But unless you have actually studied this topic it's a bit tough to figure it all out in an exam.

What exam is this?

Its JEE Advanced Exam- for entry into undergrad engineering.

and the molecule won't go upto the highest point as per KE because of viscosity isn't it? Viscosity'll retard it..

Ayesha02 said:
and the molecule won't go upto the highest point as per KE because of viscosity isn't it? Viscosity'll retard it..
As I wrote, I would not say so. The kinetic theory of gases says they bounce off each other like perfectly elastic billiard balls.
Did you google diffusion and mean free path?

Try looking at the Stokes-Einstein equation

etotheipi said:
Try looking at the Stokes-Einstein equation
I still don't see the relevance. Those equations are for a relatively large particle moving through a fluid medium. Here we only have the molecules of the medium itself. Gaseous diffusion is governed by molecular velocity and mean free path.

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
I still don't see the relevance. Those equations are for a relatively large particle moving through a fluid medium. Here we only have the molecules of the medium itself. Gaseous diffusion is governed by molecular velocity and mean free path.

Welp yes you’re right! Didn’t read it carefully enough.

Random walks and mean free paths are the way to go here.

Related to Calculation Involving Thermodynamics, Gravitation and Fluid mechanics

1. How is the first law of thermodynamics applied in calculations?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In calculations involving thermodynamics, this law is used to determine the change in internal energy of a system by considering the heat added or removed and the work done on or by the system.

2. What is the equation for calculating gravitational potential energy?

The equation for calculating gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the reference point. This equation is used to determine the amount of potential energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field.

3. How is Bernoulli's principle used in fluid mechanics calculations?

Bernoulli's principle states that in a steady flow of an ideal fluid, the total energy of the fluid remains constant. This principle is used in fluid mechanics calculations to determine the relationship between pressure, velocity, and height in a fluid. It is often applied in the design of aircraft wings and other aerodynamic systems.

4. What is the equation for calculating buoyant force?

The equation for calculating buoyant force is Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation is used to determine the upward force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid, known as the buoyant force.

5. How does the ideal gas law relate to thermodynamics calculations?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, is a combination of Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Avogadro's law. It relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. In thermodynamics calculations, this equation is used to determine the state of a gas and how it changes under different conditions.