Calculating Z-Scores for Krabby Patty Sales: Help and Examples

• MHB
  • Thread starter mjhaproff
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, we can find the z-scores and corresponding probabilities. The z-score for 30 Krabby Patties is -2.68, and the z-score for 40 Krabby Patties is 1.96. So, the probability that a fish eats between 30 and 40 Krabby Patties a year is:$\frac{(-2.68)}{(1.96)}=\frac{30}{40}=67.5%$
mjhaproff
Hey everyone!
I am taking a stats class and have a question about a problem I have been assigned. I thought I understood how to calculate a z score, but when posed with this problem, I realized I don't! Here is the question... Can anyone help? I have a z score table and get how that works. I am just not sure which numbers to plug in where...

Spongebob Squarepants lives in a pineapple under the sea, and works at a fast food restaurant called the Krusty Krab. The Krusty Krab wants Spongebob to do a bit of market research on the sales of their best selling item, "The Krabby Patty." Spongebob interviews 1000 of the fish who live in his town, bikini bottom. He determines that on average the residents of Bikini Bottom eat 56 Krabby Patties each year with a standard deviation of 10 Patties. Assume a normal distribution and use Z-scores and the provided Z-Table to compute the following:
What percentage of the sample eats between 30 and 40 Krabby Patties a year?
What percentage of the sample eats between 46 and 66 Krabby Patties a year?
What percentage of the sample eats less than 40 Krabby Patties a year?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mjhaproff said:
Hey everyone!
I am taking a stats class and have a question about a problem I have been assigned. I thought I understood how to calculate a z score, but when posed with this problem, I realized I don't! Here is the question... Can anyone help? I have a z score table and get how that works. I am just not sure which numbers to plug in where...

Spongebob Squarepants lives in a pineapple under the sea, and works at a fast food restaurant called the Krusty Krab. The Krusty Krab wants Spongebob to do a bit of market research on the sales of their best selling item, "The Krabby Patty." Spongebob interviews 1000 of the fish who live in his town, bikini bottom. He determines that on average the residents of Bikini Bottom eat 56 Krabby Patties each year with a standard deviation of 10 Patties. Assume a normal distribution and use Z-scores and the provided Z-Table to compute the following:
What percentage of the sample eats between 30 and 40 Krabby Patties a year?
What percentage of the sample eats between 46 and 66 Krabby Patties a year?
What percentage of the sample eats less than 40 Krabby Patties a year?

Hi mjhaproff! Welcome to MHB! ;)

The formula for a z-score is:
$$z=\frac{x-\mu}{\sigma}$$
where $x$ is a score, $\mu$ is the mean, and $\sigma$ is the standard deviation.

To find the percentage between 30 and 40 Krabby Patties a year, we need the corresponding z-scores for 30 and 40.
The z score table will tell us the percentage that eats less than 30 Krabby Patties, and also the percentage that eats less than 40 Krabby Patties.
Can we find those z-scores and corresponding probabilities? (Wondering)

Related to Calculating Z-Scores for Krabby Patty Sales: Help and Examples

1. What is a Z score and why is it important?

A Z score is a statistical measure that represents the number of standard deviations away from the mean of a data set. It is important because it allows researchers to compare data from different distributions and determine how unusual a particular value is in relation to the rest of the data.

2. How do I calculate a Z score?

To calculate a Z score, you need to subtract the mean from the individual data point and then divide by the standard deviation. The formula is (x - μ) / σ, where x is the data point, μ is the mean, and σ is the standard deviation.

3. What does a positive or negative Z score indicate?

A positive Z score indicates that the data point is above the mean, while a negative Z score indicates that it is below the mean. The further the Z score is from zero, the more extreme the data point is in relation to the rest of the data.

4. Can a Z score be used for any type of data?

Yes, a Z score can be used for any type of data as long as the data is normally distributed. If the data is not normally distributed, other statistical measures may be more appropriate.

5. How can I use Z scores in my research?

Z scores can be used to identify outliers, compare data from different distributions, and analyze the relationship between variables. They can also be used to make predictions and draw conclusions about a population based on a sample of data.