Calculating Work Done in Moving Multiple Charges in a Cube Configuration

In summary, when you take away a charge from a group of charges, the work done to take it away decreases.
cupid.callin
The question is like this:

8 charges of magnitude q and different sighs are placed at corners of a cube of side a.
Find the work done in taking them far away from each other.

Homework Equations

U = kq1q2/r
W = ΔU

The Attempt at a Solution

First i found out the potential energy of a +q charge

U = -3kq2/a + 3kq2/√2a - Kq2/√3a

and the same comes out to be for -q charge (of course)

So for 1 charge,
W = Uf - Ui
W = 0 - ( -3kq2/a + 3kq2/√2a - Kq2/√3a )

W = 3kq2/a - 3kq2/√2a + Kq2/√3a

So work done for 8 charges = 8W ... Right?

But its wrong.

Some help please.

Attachments

• Ques.png
    Ques.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
Each time you remove a charge from the group you get less work than from the last one because there are fewer and fewer charges contributing to the field.

The same thing happens in reverse, too, when you assemble charges. The first one is free -- no competing charge to work against or be attracted to. The next one sees the first charge, so there's work to be done. The next one after that sees both of the first two, and so on.

well what if i take all of them together?

initial U for all is same.

and obviously we won't consider value of U in b/w the process

So then shouldn't work done be 8W?

cupid.callin said:
well what if i take all of them together?

initial U for all is same.

and obviously we won't consider value of U in b/w the process

So then shouldn't work done be 8W?

The work done (or gained back) to take the arrangement apart will the the negative of the work done to assemble it in the first place. Either way, you need to calculate the sum of all the individual works.

I suppose you could work out how the potential changes when the cube is scaled by some factor, and then integrate from 1 to infinity. But that's going to require even more brain sweat than just calculating the work done assembling the cube one charge at a time.

i'll try your way and get back on this asap

Related to Calculating Work Done in Moving Multiple Charges in a Cube Configuration

What is electrostatic work done?

Electrostatic work done refers to the energy required to move a charged particle from one point to another in an electric field.

How is electrostatic work done calculated?

The electrostatic work done is calculated by multiplying the electric potential difference between the two points by the charge of the particle.

What is the unit of electrostatic work done?

The unit of electrostatic work done is joules (J), which is the standard unit of energy.

Can electrostatic work done be negative?

Yes, electrostatic work done can be negative if the particle moves in the opposite direction of the electric field. This indicates that the electric field is doing work on the particle.

What is the significance of electrostatic work done?

Electrostatic work done is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields, and it is also used in various applications such as in the design of electronic devices and in the study of electrostatic forces.