Calculating work done by a bicycle

In summary, if you are calculating work done by cycling, you would need to take into account the moment of inertia of the bicycle wheel.
Xyius
I run a lot and recently started cycling. I want to calculate the work done by a bicycle and compare it to the work done by running. My problem is I am having trouble calculating the work done by a bicycle. Would it simply be a matter of calculating it using the formula..

[tex]\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

And I would need to calculate the moment of inertia off the bicycle wheel with the center turning radius taken into account, since that is the only part of the bicycle the user moves by peddling.

Does anyone agree with this analysis? What are your opinions?

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the torque I need the moment of inertia. If I write the torque as T=Fr, then what would be F?

Here is something interesting.
W=[tex]\tau \theta = Fr\frac{x}{r} = Fx[/tex]
This is the formula for translational work. So would that suggest that it takes the same work to run and bike? That isn't true though because I get way more tired when running. :\

Unless F in the rotational sense has a different value than the translational sense.

Last edited:
Xyius said:
To calculate the torque I need the moment of inertia.
No, torque is not dependent on moment of inertia unless the wheels are continuously accelerating.

Torque (and power) is primarily dependent on wind and rolling resistance (unless you are going uphill!).
If I write the torque as T=Fr, then what would be F?
F is the force your feet apply to the pedals or the force the wheels apply to the road, depending on from which you want to calculate the work.
Here is something interesting.
W=[tex]\tau \theta = Fr\frac{x}{r} = Fx[/tex]
This is the formula for translational work. So would that suggest that it takes the same work to run and bike? That isn't true though because I get way more tired when running. :\

Unless F in the rotational sense has a different value than the translational sense.
The reason you get more tired running has much more to do with biology. Bicycle pedals and gears are optimized for you to efficiently apply power to them. In running a huge fraction of the power is lost just in making your legs move.

russ_watters said:
No, torque is not dependent on moment of inertia unless the wheels are continuously accelerating.

Torque (and power) is primarily dependent on wind and rolling resistance (unless you are going uphill!).
F is the force your feet apply to the pedals or the force the wheels apply to the road, depending on from which you want to calculate the work.
The reason you get more tired running has much more to do with biology. Bicycle pedals and gears are optimized for you to efficiently apply power to them. In running a huge fraction of the power is lost just in making your legs move.

Also remember when you are running you are also going up and down and it is the lift that needs also to be concidered

Related to Calculating work done by a bicycle

1. How do I calculate the work done by a bicycle?

The work done by a bicycle can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the pedals by the distance traveled. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work, F is the force, and d is the distance.

2. What is the unit of measurement for work done by a bicycle?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J). This is the same unit used for measuring energy.

3. How can I determine the force applied to the pedals while riding a bicycle?

The force applied to the pedals can be determined by measuring the weight of the rider and the bicycle, and factoring in the acceleration and incline of the road. Alternatively, a power meter can be used to directly measure the force applied to the pedals.

4. Can work done by a bicycle be negative?

Yes, work done by a bicycle can be negative if the force applied to the pedals is in the opposite direction of the motion, such as when braking or riding downhill. This means that the bicycle is actually using energy rather than producing it.

5. How does air resistance affect the work done by a bicycle?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can increase the work done by a bicycle as it requires more force to overcome it. This is why it is more difficult to ride a bicycle in windy conditions. However, air resistance can also decrease the work done if the wind is blowing in the same direction as the motion of the bicycle, providing a tailwind that reduces the force needed to maintain speed.