Calculating Work and Average Force in a Meteor Impact on Sand

In summary, a meteor with a speed of 79.8 m/s and a mass of 556 kg falls vertically and strikes a bed of sand, coming to a stop in 3.19 m. The work done by the sand to stop the meteor should equal the change in kinetic energy. The average force exerted by the sand on the meteor can be calculated using the mass and acceleration, but this does not seem to work. When plugging in the values, the answer is incorrect.
jbot2222
A meteor has a speed of 79.8 m/s when 787 km above the Earth. It is falling vertically (ignore air resistance) and strikes a bed of sand in which it is brought to rest in 3.19 m.
~How much work does the sand do to stop the meteor (mass = 556 kg)?
~What is the average force exerted by the sand on the meteor?
~How much thermal energy is produced?

A meteor falls to Earth and hits sand. The work done by the sand to stop it should just equal the change in kinetic energy. I found the final velocity before it hit the sand, and from that I found the decceleration of the meteor in the sand. That acceleration times the mass and multiplyed by the distance it took to stop should give the total work done by the sand as long as energy is conserved. But it doenst work!

As for the average force, that should be the mass of the meteor*the acceleration. that doest work either

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, how are you sure that these are wrong?
OK, KE = 1/2mv^2 and v at that low point = (79.8^2 + 19.6(787000))^0.5 = (15431568.04)^0.5 = 3928.30ms^-1
So KE = 4289968367.42J = W, is that what you got?

F = ma
0^2 = (3928.30^2 + 2(-3.19)(a))
a = 2418736.817ms^-2
F = ma = 556(2418735.817) = 1344817670N
Q = I suppose the work, which was mentioned above.

Is this what you got? Just wanted to try it myself. :-\

thats wat i got too, but i know that they're wrong becuase we have to plug our answers into this website. however, the website says the answer is incorrect...

Related to Calculating Work and Average Force in a Meteor Impact on Sand

1. What is work and how is it calculated?

Work is the measure of energy transfer that occurs when a force is applied to an object and the object is displaced in the direction of the force. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

2. What is the unit of work?

The unit of work is joule (J) in the International System of Units (SI). It is defined as the amount of work done when a force of one newton is applied over a displacement of one meter in the direction of the force.

3. How is average force related to work?

Average force is the force that, if applied continuously over the same distance, would result in the same amount of work as the actual force applied over the distance. It is directly proportional to the work done, meaning that the greater the average force, the more work is done.

4. What is the difference between work and power?

Work and power are related concepts but have distinct meanings. Work is the measure of energy transfer, while power is the rate at which work is done. In other words, work is a quantity, while power is a quantity per unit time. The unit of power is watt (W), which is equivalent to one joule per second (J/s).

5. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object. In this case, the work done by the force is negative, indicating that energy is being taken away from the object rather than being transferred to it.