Velocity, Work, and Energy of a Falling Meteor

In summary, the meteor has a speed of 94.0 m/s when it is 700 km above the Earth and is falling vertically without air resistance. It strikes a bed of sand and is brought to rest in 3.03 m. To find its speed just before striking the sand, the equation vf^2=vi^2+2a(xf-xi) is not applicable due to the changing acceleration. Instead, conservation of energy can be used to solve for the meteor's speed. The potential energy of gravity will not be mgh due to the significant height from which the meteor is falling.
RoosterCancer

Homework Statement

A meteor has a speed of 94.0 m/s when 700 km above the Earth. It is falling vertically (ignore air resistance) and strikes a bed of sand in which it is brought to rest in 3.03 m.

a) What is its speed just before striking the sand?

b) How much work does the sand do to stop the meteor (mass = 545 kg)?

c) What is the average force exerted by the sand on the meteor?

(d) How much thermal energy is produced?

Homework Equations

KE=0.5*m*v^2

Work=force*distance

vf^2=vi^2+2a(xf-xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble with the first part, and it looks like the answer for it is required for the other parts.
I tried using vf^2=vi^2+2a(xf-xi) to find the velocity for part a. Plugging in the numbers gives vf^2=(94 m/s)^2+2(9.8 m/s^2)(700000m). This results in vf=3705.244, however this is not correct. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the meteor is falling from significantly higher than ground level. This means that the force of gravity will not be constant when it is falling. The equation you are attempting to use, [itex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2A \Delta x,[/itex] is meant to be applied to problems where the acceleration will be constant. I would think this is your mistake. I would suggest trying part a as a conservation of energy problem. Keep in mind that the potential energy of gravity will not be mgh for the same reasons I pointed out above.

Related to Velocity, Work, and Energy of a Falling Meteor

1. What is the difference between velocity, work, and energy of a falling meteor?

Velocity refers to the speed at which the meteor is falling towards the Earth. Work is the amount of energy transferred to the Earth's surface as the meteor impacts. Energy is the ability of the meteor to do work as it falls.

2. How is the velocity of a falling meteor calculated?

The velocity of a falling meteor can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the meteor falls.

3. What factors affect the work and energy of a falling meteor?

The work and energy of a falling meteor are affected by its mass, velocity, and the distance it falls. The mass and velocity of the meteor determine its kinetic energy, while the distance it falls determines the potential energy that is converted into kinetic energy upon impact.

4. Can the velocity, work, and energy of a falling meteor be measured?

Yes, the velocity, work, and energy of a falling meteor can be measured using various scientific instruments such as radar, seismometers, and accelerometers. These instruments can record the impact of the meteor and provide data on its velocity, work, and energy.

5. How does the velocity, work, and energy of a falling meteor impact the Earth?

The velocity, work, and energy of a falling meteor can cause significant damage to the Earth upon impact, depending on its mass and velocity. Large meteors can release a tremendous amount of energy upon impact, causing destruction and forming craters on the Earth's surface.